• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you like where you live?

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
There is no place like home. I like the area where I live in Georgia, but my favorite place is a small town called Blue Ridge. There is not alot to do except for hang out at the lake, white water rafting, or go to the drive in theatre. There is just something magical about the area, and I can't really explain it, other than I just love it. The Appalachian mountains are in my blood and it's the only place in the world where I could call home. Europe was ok to visit for a few years but its extremely boring there.

lakeblueridge.png

Duke_Leto

Could be better. The convenience of the city is nice, but there are plenty of frustrations.

For one there’s a regionally important prep school and private university in the city (they’re the same organization) and it’s unfortunately one of the main draws of the town. Kids or graduates from there typically act entitled and stupid. When my girlfriend was a teenager she called a prep kid, around 16, “illiterate” and he had no idea what that meant. And when I work, customers wearing T-shirts with the university’s labeling on it are some of the rudest customers I have to deal with.

There’s also two public universities here. People from both seem generally fine, but tend to be young and not really the type of people that are really interested in making worthwhile friendships with people not involved in the ‘college experience’, if that makes sense. Which I suppose now is just selling your future self further into wage slavery.

There are also a great deal of heavy smokers – At least where I work; fewer I’ve seen around the rest of the city. The pessimism effected by their knowledge of their soon-coming demises makes them generally unpleasant company.

The politicians are parasites. The city has the highest taxes in the state, and yet the higher taxes are raised the more the city manages to squander the money it robbed. Case in point, the prevalence of potholes in this city is so great that everyone in the damn state knows about it. The excuse given is the weather, which changes from hot to cold relatively quickly in the spring and autumn. Which might be believable except for the fact that THE ENTIRE REST OF THE STATE HAS NORMAL, PERFECTLY SMOOTH GODDAMNED ROADS THAT DON’T DESTROY THE TIRES YOU HAD TO GO IN DEBT TO AFFORD, whether they be small towns that receive a fraction of this city’s tax money, or highways funded by the state, which I know actually spends money on different projects rather than embezzling it. But the kicker is that my city actually charges its own, additional tax to supposedly fix its roads – a $50 yearly “wheel tax” on each wheel for each vehicle someone owns. A goddamned additional tax which no other town in the state needs to upkeep its roads, on top of its already higher-than-usual tax rates. It’s infuriating, having to pay the equivalent of several hours of work each year for what I know is doing nothing other than traveling a detour to wind up in a legislator’s pocket.

Speaking of the roads, the drivers aren’t great. I’ve never lived anywhere else, even in other large cities, where I would witness crashes happen in front of my eyes multiple times a year. And few people seem to understand the process of merging.

Beyond that, though, large cities are very convenient, and I’m grateful enough that it isn’t a long trip to a grocery store, hospital, or my work.