• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you like these authors?

QuestioningMind

H. P. Lovecraft

R. L. Stine

Stephen King

Edgar Allan Poe

I have read a few stories by all of them.:)

What about you?

H. P. Lovecraft - solid story-telling, though can be a bit wordy at times.

R. L. Stine - daughter loved him, never really saw the appeal. Might think differently if I'd been introduced to him as a youngster.

Stephen King - by far my favorite author, the man is a genius. He can bring a character to life in just a few sentences better than many other authors can in a few paragraphs. A literary god, in my opinion.

Edgar Allan Poe - the father of the horror genre. His ideas can seen cliché at times, until you realize that he's the one who came up with so many of these ideas that everyone else has copied to death ever since.

Heyo

Veteran Member
H. P. Lovecraft

R. L. Stine

Stephen King

Edgar Allan Poe

I have read a few stories by all of them.:)

What about you?
I haven't read anything from R. L. Stine but of the others only Poe ever spoke to me. Though he didn't invent the horror genre (that honour goes to Mary Shelley (but Poe invented the detective story)), he is a master of the art, no, the master of the art. His command of language and ability to create an atmosphere of doom and gloom is unparalleled. This ability to create atmosphere is also seen in his non horror stories and in the poems. His detective stories are very clever and superior to even Arthur Conan Doyle.

Vitality

RL Stine was my favorite author in like the third or fourth grade lol

I’m a huge fan of poetry in general and was fortunate enough to be gifted some old Poe books.

I’m familiar with Lovecraft and what a racist POS he was, but have only read a couple of his short stories. I’ve seen a few movies however and enjoyed those.

King is not everyone’s cup of tea for sure. He gets a lot of criticism for his writing style. I definitely get where people are coming from with that, but I enjoy the stories nevertheless.

I haven’t been reading as much as I used to in recent years. I’d like to change that. I’ve been trying to get through a variety of Brandon Sanderson series just so I can talk about them with my daughter and boyfriend who have read virtually all of his stuff.