• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you like pocket watches?

About pocket watches

• I own one or more

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • I don't own one but I would like to

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • I don't own one and don't care for them

Votes: 4 44.4%

• Total voters

Shaul

Premium Member
Do you like and enjoy pocket watches? I do!

I have several pocket watches. My everyday watch looks like this one,
s-l500.png

exchemist

Veteran Member

s-l500.png
Very nice too.

I like them, but it seems to me one needs a waistcoat in order to deploy a pocket watch. I have no 3 piece suits and I'm unlikely to buy one, so for me a pocket watch is something other people might have. I have a wrist watch, which is still useful from time to time (for instance being able to check the time unobtrusively in the pub last night), in spite of the fact that every damned thing seems to come with a clock on it nowadays.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
My oldest son has one. They're neat, but I don't see one going well with anything I own.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
We inherited several from my wife's family. We had the oldest fixed by a watchmaker and I used it for some time. But now we're probably going to pass them along since they've been sitting unused for a long time except for one that my wife is attached to.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

s-l500.png

I do like watches, i have several wrist watches, though I don't wear them anymore. I don't own a pocket watch though, perhaps something i need to remedy

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Sounds ideal then :p

It may surprise you to know, I'm extremely particular about matching. :)

When my sister was a kid, she had a friend that would go out in some things that obviously did not match, and while might have been fine if properly paired, it looked hideous on its own. It was so bad one day, after pleading with him to change, she finally threatened "I'm going to call my sister!" He changed his clothes.

My husband has learned after 11 years, and before leaving he asks "does this match?"

You can make anything look good(or bad) as long as you pair it right.

F1fan

Veteran Member
Not as much as I like the chain from a buttonhole to the watch-in-the-pocket. That's clever.

It reminds me of motels that have a Bible on a chain.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
How does he wear it, that's to say, in what pocket, in what garment does he keep it?

If I remember right, he kept it in his suit vest.

Its been awhile since I've seen him wear it. He occasionally wears a 3 piece suit to school, just for funsies. He would pair it with that.

Shaul

Premium Member
A pocket watch certainly works well with a vest or waist coat. It can also be worn with slacks or jeans. Many slacks and most jeans have a separate "fob" pocket designed for use with a pocket watch. See the picture below. When I shop for dress slacks I simply look for those that include a fob pocket. There are several designs of pocket watch chains. One variety has a belt clip which can be used with a pocket watch when wearing pants.

watch-pocket-denim-gear-patrol-lead-full-1592942168.jpg

Clizby Wampuscat

s-l500.png
The only one I have is my grandfathers that I got after my father died. My grandfather got it in 1954 as a gift from my grandmother. I think they are cool but maybe not practical to carry.

exchemist

Veteran Member
If I remember right, he kept it in his suit vest.

Its been awhile since I've seen him wear it. He occasionally wears a 3 piece suit to school, just for funsies. He would pair it with that.
Funnily enough my son also did that. He said a waistcoat kept him warm in winter and looked cool.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I have owned pocket watches in the past - mostly cheapish ones of little value - but technology has overtaken such so that a wristwatch is still worn - solar powered with RF enabled accuracy. Not sure why, when I don't really need such apart from making sure I can get buses. And a basic phone as backup. :oops: