• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you like Halloween?Yes or No?

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes
Though where I live it’s more a thing of
“Oh let the kids have their lollies (candy)” sort of deal.
I do appreciate the holiday though

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member
When I was a kid, I enjoyed Halloween. Then, when I became an adult, I moved on from not caring about it to not liking it.

Speaking of Halloween, something that annoys me is that lots of people pronounce it as 'holloween.' I've even heard Christians say 'Hollowed be thy name' during the Lord's Prayer. So annoying.

ronki23

In theory I like it but it always goes wrong for me.

Either I don't invest enough in a costume or I had to commute to University so I was tired by 11PM when the party started and I left at 2AM.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Halloween among Indo-Europeans (including ancestors of Vedic Aryans) was the disappearance of sun for the long Arctic night, the lands where they hailed from (the Urheimat). RigVeda clearly mentions that it happened on the 40th day after the Autumnal Equinox.

yaḥ śambaraṃ parvateṣu kṣiyantaṃ catvāriṃśyāṃ śaradyanvavindat l
ojāyamānaṃ yo ahiṃ jaghāna dānuṃ śayānaṃs ll

He who discovered in the fortieth autumn Śambara as he dwelt among the mountains;
Who slew the Dragon putting forth his vigour*, the demon lying there, He, men, is Indra.
Rig Veda: Rig-Veda, Book 2: HYMN XII. Indra. (Book 2, Hymn 12, Verse 11)
* Of course, the fight lasted two months before Indra was able to rescue the Sun on Vernal Equinox.

"Speaking of the ancient Celtic year Prof. Rhys observes, “Now as the Celts were in the habit formerly of counting winters, and of giving precedence in their reckoning to night and winter over day and summer, I should argue that the last day of the year in the Irish story of Diarmait’s death meant the eve of November of All-Halloween, the night before the Irish Samhain, and known in Welsh as Nos Galan-gaeaf, or the Night of the winter Calends. But there is no occasion to rest on this alone, for we have the evidence of Cormac’s Glossary that the month before the beginning of winter was the last month, so that the first day of the first month of winter was also the first day of the year.

It had been fixed upon as the time of all others, when the Sun-god whose power had been gradually falling off since the great feast associated with him on the first of August, succumbed to his enemies, the powers of darkness and winter. It was their first hour of triumph after an interval of subjection, and the popular imagination pictured them stalking aboard with more than ordinary insolence and aggressiveness; and if it comes to giving individuality and form to the deformity of darkness, to describe it as a sow, black or grisly, with neither ears nor tail, is not perhaps very readily surpassed as an instance of imaginative aptitude.”
For more: "ARCTIC HOME IN VEDAS", Bal Gangadhar Tilak, Pages 368-9 etc.
The Arctic Home In The Vedas : Lokamanya Bal Gangadhar Tilak : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive among places from where one can get a PDF download

There is no better history of Indo-European peoples other than RigVeda.

Last edited:

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member
RigVeda clearly mentions that it happened on the 40th day after the autumnal equinox.

Interesting! Something I have noticed many times in the Vedas is the mention of autumn. Individuals mention living for many autumns, for example, which to me sounds like the ancient Aryans observed New Year in autumn. What are your thoughts?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Yeah, at one time ancestors of Indian Aryans may have counted the year with winters, that is why the still-prevalent blessing "Jive twam sharadam shatam" (May you live for a hundred winters - not springs, not summers, not rains, but winters).
Moreover, because winters were dangerous times, little hunting, little gathering, harsh winters of ice-ages, one subsisted on what was stored, and then the wolf.

The Dire wolf (Aenocyon dirus) is an extinct canine. It is one of the most famous prehistoric carnivores .. The dire wolf lived in the Americas and eastern Asia during the Late Pleistocene and Early Holocene epochs (125,000–9,500 years ago). .. The dire wolf was about the same size as the largest modern gray wolves (Canis lupus): the Yukon wolf and the northwestern wolf. While these weighed on average 60 kilograms (132 lb), the Dire wolf weighed on average 68 kg (150 lb). Its skull and dentition matched those of C. lupus, but its teeth were larger with greater shearing ability, and its bite force at the canine tooth was stronger than any known Canis species.

So, in RigVeda, they pray to the Goddess of Night:

"yāvayā vṛikyaṃ vṛikaṃ yavaya stenam ūrmye l athā naḥ sutarā bhava ll"

Keep off the she-wolf and the wolf, O Urmya, keep the thief away; easy be thou for us to pass.
Rig Veda: Rig-Veda, Book 10: HYMN CXXVII. Night. (Book 10, Hymn 17, Verse 6)

Last edited:

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member
Yeah, at one time ancestors of Indian Aryans may have counted the year with winters, that is why the still-prevalent blessing "Jive twam sharadam shatam" (May you live for a hundred winters - not springs, not summers, not rains, but winters).
Moreover, because winters were dangerous times, no hunting, no gathering, harsh winters of ice-ages, one subsisted on what was stored, and then the wolf.

How do we know the dire wolf is the creature mentioned in the Ṛgvedic hymn that you quoted? I am genuinely interested. Also, considering that the dire wolf lived in eastern Asia, as the article mentions, perhaps this is evidence for an Aryan invasion?

Great stuff, Aup!

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I do not really know if RigVeda was talking about Dire Wolf, but the fear expressed in this hymn and at other places is sort of extraordinary. They don't talk about tiger and leopard (Vyaghra) in that way. Perhaps because they had more encounters with wolves than with any other predator. The Indo-Europeans were in Yamanaya region sometime around 7,000 BCE (Seroglazovka culture, Volga delta). Who knows if the Dire Wolf range extended till there? Dire wolf is reported to have crossed over Beringia to Americas during ice-ages.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
How do we know the dire wolf is the creature mentioned in the Ṛgvedic hymn that you quoted? I am genuinely interested. Also, considering that the dire wolf lived in eastern Asia, as the article mentions, perhaps this is evidence for an Aryan invasion?

Great stuff, Aup!
Sure, invasion or migration (I lean towards migration because no great military conflict is mentioned between Aryans and the indigenous people), Aryans did come to India from Central Asia.
Asatru and Hinduism
"Modern" Devi (Hinduism) shadowed in Rig Ved 10.125?

Last edited:

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member
I do not really know if RigVeda was talking about Dire Wolf, but the fear expressed in this hymn and at other places is sort of extraordinary. They don't talk about tiger and leopard (Vyaghra) in that way. Perhaps because they had more encounters with wolves than with any other predator. The Indo-Europeans were in Yamanaya region sometime around 7,000 BCE (Seroglazovka culture, Volga delta). Who knows if the Dire Wolf range extended till there? Dire wolf is reported to have crossed over Beringia to Americas during ice-ages.

Yeah, they might have encountered the steppe wolf often, for all we know. I was reading the Wikipedia article on the Himalayan wolf, and I have to wonder now if it might be a good candidate. Oh, and there is an article that shows the preserved head of a Pleistocene steppe wolf.