• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do You Like Apples?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Granny smiths
Golden delicious
Royal gala
Red delicious

Are the ones I go for when shopping.

I use the grannies mostly in cooking because brambly apples are just about possible to get here.

@Polymath257
Maybe a rinse with water after the apple will dilute the acid.and reduce/illimate the pain

Last edited:

Daemon Sophic

I like apples, but given the choice, I prefer Honeycrisp, but I understand not everyone who likes apples does.

Do you like apples? If so, what kind?
Unfortunately I’ve had to give up apples. It seems that there is a mild allergic response that runs in my family.:(

That said, I agree with you that Honeycrisp is the best all-around apple. Braeburn comes in second.
Oddly I think that Braeburn or Red Delicious make for the best pies and tarts, rather than a Honeycrisp. :shrug:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I like apples, but given the choice, I prefer Honeycrisp, but I understand not everyone who likes apples does.

Love 'em. Boss, the traditionalist, whines about never getting MacIntosh, so I broke down the other day, and bought some. I like Gala, or Honeycrisp. Is there a heritage orchard anywhere close to you? It's an amazing fruit with so many varieties, and the new way of growing has increased production by a lot. I pick some local ones from friend's trees and dry them. They're great dried as a snack. I'm so cheap.

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I wish they'd diversify banana production the way they have with apples. I can buy maybe 10 varieties of apple, but only one of banana. It's only a matter of time before we have a banana crisis. Fortunately, there is diversity on the other side of the planet.

Apple varieties ... List of apple cultivars - Wikipedia

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I make a smoothie just about every day, instead of a more usual pudding.

one small apple
one medium banana
one tangerine, or the like
Two or three Strawberries
a few grapes (50gms)
a pear
a kiwifruit
A narrow slice of melon
and four spoonfuls of low fat Yoghurt.

with any of them replaced with other seasonal fruit that I have to hand.
The Apples, of all those, have the strongest flavour and texture and need to be small so as not to over power

That makes up around 20 fluid ounces or 550 cc and would be at least my five a day, did I not also eat a lot of Veg

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist

I have at least one per day, and my favorite is Fuji followed by Granny Smith.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I make a smoothie just about every day, instead of a more usual pudding.

one small apple
one medium banana
one tangerine, or the like
Two or three Strawberries
a few grapes (50gms)
a pear
a kiwifruit
A narrow slice of melon
and four spoonfuls of low fat Yoghurt.

with any of them replaced with other seasonal fruit that I have to hand.
The Apples, of all those, have the strongest flavour and texture and need to be small so as not to over power

That makes up around 20 fluid ounces or 550 cc and would be at least my five a day, did I not also eat a lot of Veg
I'm speculating... whizzing into a smoothie...isn't that breaking down the items quite a lot, and one reason for "five a day" is to get lots of unbroken fibrous material. Just a thought.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I like gala, but there's really no apple I dislike.

Had a Norwegian stew recipe that had an apple chopped up in it. I was skeptical, but it was really very good. The apple chunks took on a different flavor once cooked, and the juice simmered gave everything a distinct flavor. Wish I still had that recipe around here...

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I like most apples, but I love Rome and Golden delicious.

Love apple pie ( but not in an American pie sort of way) and strudel.

Favorite way to eat one is to cut and eat slices until I run out of apple. Then if I'm in the mood I'll eat the core, seeds and all.

exchemist

Veteran Member

Cox are the best for eating raw, provided they are fresh, i.e. not picked too soon, ripened artificially and then sealed in plastic bags. That industrial processing can make almost any apple taste like furniture polish.:confused:

For cooking, Bramleys are unbeatable. I shall be making an apple pie with them over the weekend, with the remaining half of the puff pastry I bought for the chicken and mushroom pie that we finished last night. Bramleys need sugar, ideally soft brown sugar, either light or dark. And a few cloves, which I much prefer to cinnamon.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I like gala, but there's really no apple I dislike.

Had a Norwegian stew recipe that had an apple chopped up in it. I was skeptical, but it was really very good. The apple chunks took on a different flavor once cooked, and the juice simmered gave everything a distinct flavor. Wish I still had that recipe around here...

Not tried apples in casseroles/stews but do use raisins for some recipes. Apples i will try, thanks for the tip

Yerda

Veteran Member
Yup like them all. Sweet, sour, crispy, candied, caked, juiced, sauced...I even like the look of the dragon fire roasted ones in Pete's Dragon.

Edit: Not the crab apples in my next door neighbour's garden when I was a boy, however. Nope.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
No, I like softer fruits and we have a lots of them - Mango, Banana, Leechi, custurd apple, or ripe guavas (wife likes them green).
We did not get them in Rajasthan when I was growing up.

Last edited: