• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you identify as a Heretic?

Gargovic Malkav

Orthodox means 'not new'. The philosophy that I follow in mentioned in "Mandukya Upanishad" which is numbered sixth among the old Upanishads. It is the shortest Upanishad with just 12 Sanskrit paragraphs. It is considered a part of AtharvaVeda.

Mandukya Upanishad is known for these two declaration:
1. "Ayamatma Brahma" - This self is Brahman.
2. "Sarvam Khalvidam Brahma" - All things here (in this universe) are Brahman.

In Valmiki's Ramayana, Lord Rama is supposed to have said:

"The Mandukya alone is sufficient for the deliverance of the aspirant; if even then, the knowledge lacks, then read the ten Upanishads."

The teaching of Mandukya Upanishad were followed by the teacher of the teacher of the first Sankaracharya, Gaudapada, who perhaps lived in 6th Century.
For these reasons, I consider myself to be an orthodox Hindu, even though I am a strong atheist.

Do you also have a concept of an unorthodox Hindu or a Hindu heretic?

firedragon

Veteran Member
I identify as a Christian Heretic
  • I don't believe in Hell
  • I don't believe in Sola Scriptura
  • I don't believe in Sola Fide
But I believe in everything else, such as the Nicene Creed and the Holy Trinity

I use the word "Heretical" to mean any non-mainstream version of a religion

And yes, the term is loaded with value judgments...

And yes, one man's heresy is another man's orthodoxy...

With regards to Christianity, I use the term to describe any Christian belief system that is at odds with the traditional teachings and doctrines of the Christina faith. But that is nonetheless Christian.

Question:

Does your faith tradition have such a notion?

Are you a Heretic in your tradition?

If so, how come?

I am in mine :D

One persons heresy is another persons orthodoxy. If whats popular or this so called "mainstream" is it, then Kim Kardashian has more followers than many and she should dictate everything.

This is an arbitrary method of creating a strong political environment for power. We are all lost in it.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Do you also have a concept of an unorthodox Hindu or a Hindu heretic?
We already have so many Gods and Goddesses. So, creation or adoption of a new God or Goddess, for me, will constitute being a heretic.
But a Hindu can certainly put forward a new philosophy if he/she can defend it logically. That is not considered to be a heretic.
These are known as 'matas' (opinions). Buddhism, Jainism and Sikhism started as opinions (matas). That is why we did not have conflicts with these religions. We do not have conflicts among sects* and they exist together peacefully.
* Like in Christianity (Catholic, Protestants) and Islam (Sunni, Shia).

Last edited:

Psalm23

I identify as a Christian Heretic
  • I don't believe in Hell
  • I don't believe in Sola Scriptura
  • I don't believe in Sola Fide
But I believe in everything else, such as the Nicene Creed and the Holy Trinity

I use the word "Heretical" to mean any non-mainstream version of a religion

And yes, the term is loaded with value judgments...

And yes, one man's heresy is another man's orthodoxy...

With regards to Christianity, I use the term to describe any Christian belief system that is at odds with the traditional teachings and doctrines of the Christina faith. But that is nonetheless Christian.

Question:

Does your faith tradition have such a notion?

Are you a Heretic in your tradition?

If so, how come?

I am in mine :D

In regards to the trinity, it makes more sense to me that the Father, Son and Holy Spirit are one and the same God instead of 3 in 1. The trinity sounds like a contradiction in terms when saying there is only one God then saying the Father, Son, Holy Spirit are distinct from each other and yet one God. Unitarians tend to believe Jesus is only the Son of God and not God himself. I believe Jesus is God but I don’t think he is distinct or different from the Father and Holy Spirit. I’m not sure what to label my belief.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
In regards to the trinity, it makes more sense to me that the Father, Son and Holy Spirit are one and the same God instead of 3 in 1. The trinity sounds like a contradiction in terms when saying there is only one God then saying the Father, Son, Holy Spirit are distinct from each other and yet one God. Unitarians tend to believe Jesus is only the Son of God and not God himself. I believe Jesus is God but I don’t think he is distinct or different from the Father and Holy Spirit. I’m not sure what to label my belief.
I can understand and respect your belief, but how do you feel about the prayer Jesus made while he was on the earth, at John 17:3, when he prayed that "And this is the way to have eternal life—to know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, the one you sent to earth." So he spoke of only two there -- his father in heaven, and himself, as important to know. Also when he denoted God as HIS God. So Jesus declared that he (1) has a God -- and that (2) the God he prayed to in heaven (his Father) is the only TRUE God. That means that Jesus knew in comparison with all others with the title 'god,' his heavenly Father was the only TRUE God. How do you feel about that?
John 20:17 - Jesus said, "Do not hold on to me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father. Go instead to my brothers and tell them, 'I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.'"

Psalm23

I can understand and respect your belief, but how do you feel about the prayer Jesus made while he was on the earth, at John 17:3, when he prayed that "And this is the way to have eternal life—to know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, the one you sent to earth." So he spoke of only two there -- his father in heaven, and himself, as important to know. Also when he denoted God as HIS God. So Jesus declared that he (1) has a God -- and that (2) the God he prayed to in heaven (his Father) is the only TRUE God. That means that Jesus knew in comparison with all others with the title 'god,' his heavenly Father was the only TRUE God. How do you feel about that?
John 20:17 - Jesus said, "Do not hold on to me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father. Go instead to my brothers and tell them, 'I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.'"

The way I see it is that Jesus in becoming a man has become subject to God. As a part of creation human being are supposed to be subject to God. He is creator and authority over the lives of the whole of creation. People should be submitting to God for he is the creator. If you imagine the Creator God himself becoming a human being, this human being is now subject to God’s authority. I don’t see Jesus in becoming a man as taking away his divinity but rather laying aside certain divine abilities and taking up certain human limitations ( not being everywhere at once, needing to eat and rest etc)