1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you have to understand every single word in the scripture you belive in?

Discussion in 'Interfaith Discussion' started by Conscious thoughts, Apr 23, 2021.

1. Conscious thoughts

Conscious thoughts Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +10,096
    Religion:
    Osmanli Nakshibedi Way, Sufism
    When you reading the religious scripture you believe in. In your view, do you have to understand the word meaning of every single word in the scripture to become a good practitioner?
    How important is Etymology to you?

If you use etymology for every single word in the scripture, Why do you believe this is the right way to do it?

Or do you see the scripture more as a guide to how you should live or what is important to belive in?

2. Rival

Rival Ankh, Wedja, Seneb
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +27,445
    Religion:
    Kemetic Pagan
    It's certainly desirable, but why only use one method? You have all the tools at your disposal for multiple understandings of a scripture. It's in one's best interest to explore them all without bias, I think; sometimes etymology really helps, while at other times it's no help at all. As a language lover I would tend to go that route, but spiritual books are for spiritual purposes, not language exams - although the language is certainly important. I think if one's approach is multifaceted that is best.

#2 Rival, Apr 23, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Israel Khan

Israel Khan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,613
    Religion:
    None
    As long as you get the message it should work, because understanding the message is what transforms a person. The message should reach you through the context otherwise the book isn't well written.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Conscious thoughts

Ratings:
    +10,096
    Religion:
    Very similar to how i understand it too

• Like Like x 1
  5. Israel Khan

Ratings:
    +2,613
    Religion:
    None
    Also, if you are reading an english translation, the scholar who studied the material would know more about the language than you so they should be trusted. Be wary of people who nitpick the meaning of every word to discredit your understanding, because they are slippery and are probably trying to dodge a valid point with semantics.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Conscious thoughts

Ratings:
    +10,096
    Religion:
    True, i have noticed it even here in RF :)

• Like Like x 2
  7. stvdv

stvdv Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +6,858
    Religion:
    Sanathana Dharma [The Eternal Religion]
    NO

Practice one virtue, the others will follow

My Master said: Hurt Never, Help Ever
    If you practise this you need not know anything else from the Bible (He also said that all Scriptures have Love at their core, guiding you to the ultimate goal, hence it applies to all Scriptures, not just to the Bible)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Israel Khan

Ratings:
    +2,613
    Religion:
    None
    It definitely happens here a lot. People get into semantic arguments, zeroing in on the meaning of words to show how much knowledge they have. But notice how many times those people mention the overall context of the paragraphs and books that the verse and words they are zeroing in on come from. They hardly ever do that. Which is a problem. Words are used together to communicate a message and concept and to isolate parts of them from the overall writings won't lead to understanding.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. SalixIncendium

SalixIncendium Advaita Vedantin
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +19,958
    Religion:
    Sanatana Dharma
    My scripture was written in Sanskrit. It has been translated to English along with several commentaries by various sages. Even when reviewing the etymology of every English word, one would still have to trust that the translation is accurate. Unfortunately, there are many Sanskrit terms that have no direct English translation.

At some point, I want to have a comprehensive knowledge of Sanskrit. I'm learning little by little. Eventually, I want to find a course so I can pick up the pace.

I don't think having a thorough understanding of scripture is what makes one a "good practitioner" though. I think actions speak louder than words.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Conscious thoughts

Ratings:
    +10,096
    Religion:
    I believe there is so much more then word by word understanding in scripture :) So i can say i am agreeing with you

• Like Like x 2
  11. Aupmanyav

Aupmanyav Be your own guru

Ratings:
    +10,868
    Religion:
    Atheist, Advaita (Non-duality), Orthodox Hindu
    Depends, sometimes etymology is important. For me, Buddha's 'anatta' is a problem. What exactly did he mean? Without substance? Without authority? Exactly what?

12. Conscious thoughts

Ratings:
    +10,096
    Religion:
    I do not know