• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you have to be evil to be LHP?

Erebus

Getting back to the topic of the thread: Do you have to be evil to be LHP?

No matter whether you're LHP, RHP, middle path or none of the above you will almost inevitably do/think/believe something that somebody considers evil. It's all a matter of perspective.

In regards to more "classically evil" acts including, but not limited to, breaking the law in a serious way my own perspective is somewhat pragmatic. What do you expect to gain and is it worth the risk? I know of some fringe LHP groups (whose existence beyond the odd bit of internet propaganda is up for debate) who actively encourage law breaking and "evil" acts in order to transcend societal taboos. I can't say this is something I find particularly clever though, to my mind if you want to take charge of your life then self preservation ranks much more highly than taboo breaking.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
No matter whether you're LHP, RHP, middle path or none of the above you will almost inevitably do/think/believe something that somebody considers evil. It's all a matter of perspective.
Agreed.

In regards to more "classically evil" acts including, but not limited to, breaking the law in a serious way my own perspective is somewhat pragmatic. What do you expect to gain and is it worth the risk? I know of some fringe LHP groups (whose existence beyond the odd bit of internet propaganda is up for debate) who actively encourage law breaking and "evil" acts in order to transcend societal taboos. I can't say this is something I find particularly clever though, to my mind if you want to take charge of your life then self preservation ranks much more highly than taboo breaking.
A little discernment goes a long way when breaking taboos. Some societal taboos are actually silly and cause people to be silly. These taboos are a hindrance--breaking them can be enlightening. Other taboos are taboo for good reason--breaking them can lead to a lack of discernment and be detrimental to your mind. Again, a little discernment can go a long way.

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
I'm still confused on the fact people believe that this "evil" objectively exists.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
Well, he did use a lot of metaphors like, "You are like whitewashed tombs, which appear beautiful on the outside, but inside are full of dead men’s bones and every impurity." He constantly pointed towards the inward path of transformation. You can be adversarial and such all you like, but if you don't do the inner work, how does that LHP differ from the RHP that doesn't focus on the inner work as well?

Perhaps to clarify... It is hard saying what Jesus meant or even if he ever existed. In Hebrew "Jesus" is merely adding a letter to "Jehovah" and not so much a name as an apparent title. There are currently debates to whether he or Moses in fact existed at all since unlike several other important figures there are no other historical records besides the bible documenting that fact. Much of the parables are contradictory so cherry picking them is relatively worthless; there are nearly countless examples of this but I will refrain from doing that here. Christianity and its right handed path methods are due to how it is practised and not anything to do with what some guy did two-thousand years back. Theoretically, you can repackage any mythology into a LHP practice but at least in the case of Christianity I think you would be opposing some seriously defining tenets which may invalidate your association with the rest of them and thus become something completely different.

Dogma is a large part of what places you in one direction or another; the left-handed path lacking any at all even when it seems as such. A Theistic Satanist or Setian do not merely believe something others have told them they investigate it. While they may in fact have a devotional component and active worship mechanism there is a process of discovery not blind faith or trust. This is the key difference... We arrive at a spiritual path through a logical and methodical investigation of the subject not merely trusting peers or relying on ancient and probably false histories or mythologies. When we find one component false or incorrect the LHP jettisons it like a bad suit that quickly went out of fashion. We're mostly about the truth of the matter, but realize what is true is based on the input one has to evaluate and is subject to change as more information accrues. How the LHP practitioner conceives of the universe is largely framed in terms of their own journey rather than what they have been told. Personally, I speak a little more about my experiences but mostly in an effort to share my observations not because I expect others to believe them. Most here approach it this way as well..

Orias

Left Hand Path
Needing evil, and appreciating it are two different things.

To appreciate evil does not necessarily mean to advocate it either. Its all about finding beauty in areas that are often grotesque in justification. Much like murder, or even war. The count will just keep going, a mirror reflecting a mirror, and a hand guiding another.

Justice has no eyes, the Left and the Right have no eyes, they simply feel out what was laid before them.