• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you have to be evil to be LHP?

Orias

Left Hand Path
No, why would I? DIR's--> ask question, people answer, you can't "determine" anything without argument anyways (this isn't a green DIR, much less a general debate one)

I'm not sure about what exactly is trying to argued, I just tried to offer a more realistic perspective.

Think about it.

Skorzeny

Disciple, I can't help but feel as though you're dodging the answers we've been giving you in the hopes that you'll eventually hear what you are expecting (or, hoping) for us to say.

The answer is a blatant and resounding 'no'; 'evil' is defined for non-LHPers by their specific beliefs, and thus we do not share the same views. The LHP allows us to think more freely than that, and thus we don't think in black-and-white terms of 'good' and 'evil', only in 'Do I feel okay doing this?' or 'Does this suit my desires in what I want for myself, and what I want for other people?' In most cases, views regarding moral ethics are the same; we are not criminals, and we don't go out of our way to cause harm or argue against others' beliefs. I have a feeling that you didn't read my long-winded post explaining in detail how we view the notion of 'evil' as a collective group. If you had, you probably wouldn't have kept repeating the same questions.

Skorzeny

Nope. Don't even know what you're talking about actually

You seem to be arguing against the honest answers we've given you in response to your question... Why?

My apologies if you're simply asking for clarification, but even then, you seem to be asking the same things over and over again.

Orias

Left Hand Path
Shuddasattva's post above (#71) makes me wonder if it frustrates you people that so many have such difficulty understanding your stances.

I certainly have a hard enough time understanding what he means, despite a lot of rather skilled people having tried to explain it to me time and again.

Sometimes I wonder if it would be easier if I actually believed in God or in Hell. Or in fully subjective moralities.

Frustrating. Maybe, we talk about some pretty deep stuff and it can be hard to fully grasp or comprehend by simply just reading words. Then again, it all depends on the person and what they project and how they do it.

Psychologically speaking LHPers are more intuitive, question asking, which leads to an in depth understanding of things that requires volumes (essentially) of literature and memories.

Concerning Shuddasattva's post I would say that man is capable of projecting all sorts of emotions and energies. LHPer's tend to embrace the variety of emotions to keep them in check, though they may appear to be very extreme or sensual at times. Intuitive people also tend to be more in touch with their carnal nature, as much as they change mentally, spiritually, and physically in a somewhat consistent manner. Some more often than others, and some little at all (concerning changes spiritually, mentally, and physically). Though while all at the same time, remaining in control of who they are (the part of them that doesn't appear to change).

When he talks about sympathy I think he really means empathy, being that we can relate and understand the experience of being harmed. Rather than feeling pity. By being innately pure, as children we are almost perfect. Essentially, the perfect mold (in things defining the universe).

The rest should be fairly clear, bring an end to the line of what is "good" and "evil" may allow us to stop these experiments or adventures that are ultimately harmful to us and our being in moments where making certain choices are critical in the development of the self. Good and evil is based off the person and something that is harmful in nature to the development of the spiritual, intellectual, and physical man.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Psychologically speaking LHPers are more intuitive, question asking, which leads to an in depth understanding of things that requires volumes (essentially) of literature and memories.

I hardly think you can generalize like that.

Concerning Shuddasattva's post I would say that man is capable of projecting all sorts of emotions and energies. LHPer's tend to embrace the variety of emotions to keep them in check, though they may appear to be very extreme or sensual at times. Intuitive people also tend to be more in touch with their carnal nature, as much as they change mentally, spiritually, and physically in a somewhat consistent manner.

LHP, or intuitive, you transitioned terms like they have the same meaning. :eek:

The rest should be fairly clear, bring an end to the line of what is "good" and "evil" may allow us to stop these experiments or adventures that are ultimately harmful to us and our being in moments where making certain choices are critical in the development of the self. Good and evil is based off the person and something that is harmful in nature to the development of the spiritual, intellectual, and physical man.

Similar to any number of Eastern Religions.

Kemble

Let's just stop right there and define LHP from these disussions: introverted bookworms with a Libertarian bent, often with a lot of time on their hands to explore their inner spaces through artwork and occult ritual. By the standard of any other person reading these discussions LHP doesn't exist as a unique qualifier outside a teen fantasy. Not being a dick; just giving a reality check.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
Let's just stop right there and define LHP from these disussions: introverted bookworms with a Libertarian bent, often with a lot of time on their hands to explore their inner spaces through artwork and occult ritual. By the standard of any other person reading these discussions LHP doesn't exist as a unique qualifier outside a teen fantasy. Not being a dick; just giving a reality check.
[satire]You forgot narcissistic. :p[/satire]

It seems lately that whenever a good LHP guideline gets posted, someone decides to pee in the cornflakes and the thread gets deleted.

Kemble

Thanks, crossfire. I also missed dressing up in spooky outfits on the rare occasion they go out to social events.

NIX

Daughter of Chaos
Yeah. We're all just young dumb evil goths and emos with nothing better to do than graffiti fantasy worlds all over the walls of our minds.

Stupid thread.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Yeah. We're all just young dumb evil goths and emos with nothing better to do than graffiti fantasy worlds all over the walls of our minds.

Stupid thread.

This thread is great. It really gives an interesting perspective into the "LHP" philosophy, IMO.

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
There is no real good/evil distinction in the LHP. Everything just is, there is no good or evil. What the world conventionally labels as evil, and attempts to avoid, we face head on, recognizing it as part of life and reality, not avoiding the issue, but taking hold of it and making good use of it.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
There is no real good/evil distinction in the LHP. Everything just is, there is no good or evil. What the world conventionally labels as evil, and attempts to avoid, we face head on, recognizing it as part of life and reality, not avoiding the issue, but taking hold of it and making good use of it.

Yeah some other people stated that also.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
If there is no good or evil, what are people talking about then when they describe either LHP or RHP as potentially destructive?

Infinitum

Possessed Bookworm
If there is no good or evil, what are people talking about then when they describe either LHP or RHP as potentially destructive?
I can speak only for myself, but here's my take on it:

LHP destructive? Yes, it can be and people should take that into consideration. If you go the road of challenging your limits, taboos and fears you might tear up your psyche and get hurt that way. It's like going to a bad psychotherapist - except that the psychotherapist is you. Similarly if you have mental problems to start with you shouldn't be trying out these techniques and would be better of not getting into LHP at all.

RHP destructive? Not even nearly on the same scale as LHP. Many religions contain things that can be hurtful to you. Some deliberately twist the truth or attempt to restrict the freedom of the individual. The vast majority however doesn't.

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
Destruction can be understood in different ways. What if you're destroying bad habits, or things that hamper your spiritual journey? Even destruction of material phenomena can be a good thing; it all depends on your viewpoint.

NIX

Daughter of Chaos
May as well just have asked all the DIR members if they are evil.

It would have saved time. Question answered in one, two, three posts. poof.:nightcraw:

(cause I know you're all such an evil lot. :p)

I find a lot of the philosophical arguments presented by many of the LHP'rs on RF to be quite well thought out, and convincing. Aside from the "evil" connotations, do you think that one has to be evil to be LHP?
I actually agree with much of LHP viewpoints, without the negative context of "evil" or "wrong"

cheers
I'd say that 'evil' is a concept of the RHP, and the LHP use it more mockingly than anything.

I have encountered similar issues as an antinomian amoralist. People have such difficulty thinking outside of their evolutionary biases and herd-logic that sometimes it's simpler and funnier just to let them call you an immoralist. After all, who cares what they think?

fnord

Sorcerer
If it is 'evil' to:

• Seek insight, knowledge and wisdom over faith
  • Embrace the carnality of the human body
  • Reject submission to external/undefined forces or 'gods'
  • Seek the sovereignty of ones own individuality (versus seeking to become part of a larger whole)
  • Seek mastery of the subjective (inner) self
  • Seek mastery of the objective (outer) world (ie, enough material success to satisfy the above)
  • Regard oneself as important versus eternally indebted and flawed

... among many other things...

Then yes, one must be evil to be LHP.

You will possibly note that the above list is comprised of a few examples of 'evil' from a biblical perspective (the fountain from which the concepts of 'evil' flow).

One not concerned with biblical adherence would probably find this list largely innocuous.