• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you have Religiophobia

Are you religiophobic

• yes

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • no

Votes: 26 89.7%

• Total voters

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
They'll only have a majority for another thirty years or so. Why complain? I do recall, however, that the Fellowship Forum long ago published a book in 1910 about the dangers of letting Catholics into US government. They said that it was part of a plot by the Vatican. Despite that warning here we are with President Kennedy and six Supreme Court Justices.
Kennedy is out of office though, right?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
How many are religiophobic?

How many dislike/fear religious people and/or think religion should be done away with? Be honest now.
Violent religions needs addressing with mininuplative religions coming in second to be addressed.

But there's a sucker born every minute ....

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I dislike/fear some religious people and believe that some religions should be done away with, but I voted no, because according to my understanding a phobia is an irrational fear. Dislike and/or fear of real danger is not irrational.

In my opinion.
Woof! You nailed it!

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Evdently it can be dislike or fear.

Example....

religiophobia:
A fear or hatred of religion, religious faith, religious people or religious organisations.
religiophobia - Wiktionary.

Homophobia:
-a strong and unreasonable dislike of gay people.
-irrational hatred or fear of homosexuals or homosexuality
Homophobia definition and meaning | Collins English Dictionary

Homophobia:
-an aversion or hostility to, disdain for, or fear of gay sexual orientation or gay people.
Definition of homophobia | Dictionary.com
Unresponsive to the thread's question.

We Never Know

No Slack
Unresponsive to the thread's question.

Really? Its stating its not just fear, its also dislike.

They gave their opinion and I gave mine. You can't cry "foul" because you don't like my opinion.

Which means I don't think its just fear.
Once we get that straight it is more clear.

Last edited:

danieldemol

Premium Member
Evdently it can be dislike or fear.

Example....

religiophobia:
A fear or hatred of religion, religious faith, religious people or religious organisations.
religiophobia - Wiktionary.

Homophobia:
-a strong and unreasonable dislike of gay people.
-irrational hatred or fear of homosexuals or homosexuality
Homophobia definition and meaning | Collins English Dictionary

Homophobia:
-an aversion or hostility to, disdain for, or fear of gay sexual orientation or gay people.
Definition of homophobia | Dictionary.com
Yeah, but when people call you a religio-phobe I doubt what they mean to say is, "you have a legitimate fear of my religion".

What they are generally saying is, "you have an irrational fear of my religion".

Which is why I reject the label, because I do not have irrational concerns about peoples religions.

In my opinion.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
There are religions (and religious people in the U.S. and elsewhere) that think people like me should be killed. I am decidedly against being killed, no matter how important it seems to some "loving" Christians.

There are religious people who think that a 10 year old girl, raped by a relative, should be forced to carry the resulting child to term and become a mother before she's even stopped being a child.

Anybody who does not at least recognize how dangerous, how wicked, religion can be, isn't paying enough attention.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member

How many dislike/fear religious people and/or think religion should be done away with? Be honest now.
If you could make religion's far right ride off into the sunset, taking all the secretive little cults with it, you're guaranteed my support.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I have to answer No too, given I am more irreligious than religiophobic. And given my belief that we can generally believe what we like as long as it harms no others, then I have no issues with religions apart from any negative affects perhaps produced. I don't have any particular belief as to them being necessary or as to them all dying out, and any phobia would be a rational one if I did have to live with any religion that caused me issues. And hence why I probably wouldn't ever live in any country where such might be an issue. Quite happy to live in a country having a great deal of tolerance and enough freedoms.

firedragon

Veteran Member

I think the DSM changed the definition of phobia from a fear of knowing you have that fear to a fear you may not know you already have. I cant remember when the change was made but it was maybe two decades ago. Thus, today it's found to be a fear we do not know we have. You will get many saying no by default, and those who say yes might not be actually phobic but just against or just anti religious.

This kind of research will need a hypothesis based on a quantitative study of some kind. And only then a quantitative study could be done. That's my opinion.

But you opened a great point to ponder. Thank you.

Ella S.

Dispassionate Goth
It depends on what you mean by "religion." In the broadest sense of the word, I don't really have an issue with people believing in a God or gods or venerating that figure, nor do I want to censor the belief in an afterlife or rebirth.

I do have issues with organized religion. That is, communities who band together out of a shared cultural identity or institutions (like churches, mosques, synagogues, monasteries, etc.) with a hierarchical religious leadership.

The former tends to erase individual identity for the sake of collective majoritarianism, and it almost always ends up harming minority groups within that community and creating outcasts of those who can't (or won't) fully conform. At its extreme, it leads to things like xenophobia and ultranationalism.

The latter is outright abusive, because it's giving a select few the power to control those who are deemed underneath them in the hierarchy. It also leads to those in these institutions to reject responsibility for what they have chosen to do and value, placing the blame onto some religious figure or even a mythical one, which I think is self-destructive.

I'm not saying people can't gather with those who share similar values or interests, but they should be wary of these pitfalls. They're unavoidable in the majority of religious spaces I've seen, and so I think we're better off without those spaces.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

Best friends are Christian, most of my family are Christian (of various flavours) and I like Christmas.

I'm not an anti-theist by any stretch. That doesn't mean there aren't certain aspects of religious belief, some impacts societally, or some specific dogma I don't find distasteful though.