• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you have any beliefs not based on evidence or rationality?

Do you have any beliefs not based on evidence or rationality?

• Yes

Votes: 24 80.0%
  • No, please clarify with a post

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Don't care, whatever and so on.

Votes: 2 6.7%

• Total voters

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
As the title says?
There are still many things within sufism that I do not fully grasp and understand how it could be, but still I believe it to be true ( in my practice). If and when I gain understanding of those issues, new aspects will emerge that has to be understood and realized.
So yes every day I face beliefs I do not fully grasp the deeper truth of.

RestlessSoul

My belief in a universal creative intelligence is something for which I could perhaps make a case based on evidence and rational arguments.

My belief that this power cares about us humans, intervenes in our lives, listens to our prayers, loves us even, is not based on reasoning. I would certainly struggle to make a case based on reason, for praying to the Virgin Mary; but I say several Hail Mary’s every day.

I’ve done my gentle morning exercise btw. No sign mentally, physically or spiritually, of any “burden of proof” weighing me down.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Of course. Feelings are a crucial aspect of the human experience; I generally only try to separate them from my beliefs when those beliefs are about strictly observable, objective phenomena (e.g., physical laws, medical issues, etc.).

I have a personal belief that I may someday settle down somewhere I belong and be happy. I have no evidence to support this, but I keep going and trying to reach that point anyway.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I believe America will sort out its political woes. There is no evidence to this belief and certainly no rational reason i should believe it. It may be some time in the distant future but i truly hope so.

I believe a younger generation of Britons will eventually become local government councillors and national MPs who will be more sensible than the current incumbents and via referendum overturn the brexit fiasco and return to europe.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Since I cannot be an expert in any field, and even then I realise any such do have their limitations themselves (as to knowledge, factual evidence, and all the rest), I have to make judgments (probability assessment?) as to the likelihood of any beliefs I might have being true or not. Such is life. I think we all probably place ourselves on the spectrum of reality - as to whether we think that what we believe corresponds with reality - and I'm pretty sure that many are way down the spectrum from myself, especially when they dismiss so much of science, but I doubt I know the truth of my place on the spectrum.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Since I cannot be an expert in any field, and even then I realise any such do have their limitations themselves (as to knowledge, factual evidence, and all the rest), I have to make judgments (probability assessment?) as to the likelihood of any beliefs I might have being true or not. Such is life. I think we all probably place ourselves on the spectrum of reality - as to whether we think that what we believe corresponds with reality - and I'm pretty sure that many are way down the spectrum from myself, especially when they dismiss so much of science, but I doubt I know the truth of my place on the spectrum.

The bold one is where the fun starts.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
The bold one is where the fun starts.
Quite. But much belief is of higher quality than others - like the timescale for life, for example, and where the belief in a young Earth and/or human existence pushes the bounds of rationality to breaking point.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Quite. But much belief is of higher quality than others - like the timescale for life, for example, and where the belief in a young Earth and/or human existence pushes the bounds of rationality to breaking point.

Well, I got no knowledge of a single higher quality methodology of all aspects of the human experience. I use different approaches for different contexts, but that is just me.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I believe America will sort out its political woes. There is no evidence to this belief and certainly no rational reason i should believe it. It may be some time in the distant future but i truly hope so.

I believe a younger generation of Britons will eventually become local government councillors and national MPs who will be more sensible than the current incumbents and via referendum overturn the brexit fiasco and return to europe.
You only believe this because of copious use of recreational drugs :D

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Aren't all religious beliefs based on logic and reason. The logic and reason does not have to be everyone's version of sound rationality. If it makes no sense then no one is going to believe it.

Still some people buy into myths that have no reflection of reality. So it seems they have no reason or logic to it. But maybe they do.