• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do You Have a Problem with Infinity?

ratiocinator

Lightly seared on the reality grill.
time is a quotient on a chalkboard

it cannot be found in reality

nay.....space is real enough

What I find puzzling is why you think anybody should take any notice of you when you say this sort of thing?

Actual scientists have studied time and space, constructed wonderfully exact models, tested with exquisitely accurate experiments and observations. Then some guy on a religious forum just decides it's all wrong, and, for some reason, thinks people should take notice... It's bizarre.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
^ Consider in absolute terms, space is a concept that represents a real entity, time otoh is a concept that represents, not a real entity, but pertains to the observation, perception, measurement of the relative persistence of things that exist. That is not to dismiss the concept of time as being wrong in the relative sense, merely that beyond the useful nature of the concept as it is used, existence itself does not 'age' it merely continues to exist.

What Thief and myself are trying to convey is not an easy task, but it has nothing to do with one's religious belief, and I am not offended if you do not grok it at first.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Same thing... for...
Yahweh
cause and effect....

science can take you to the beginning
cause and effect all the way there

but when you get to that primordial ....'point'...
of decision...

is substance?...self .....creating
is substance?...self....motivated

I say.....Spirit first

Thief

Rogue Theologian
What I find puzzling is why you think anybody should take any notice of you when you say this sort of thing?

Actual scientists have studied time and space, constructed wonderfully exact models, tested with exquisitely accurate experiments and observations. Then some guy on a religious forum just decides it's all wrong, and, for some reason, thinks people should take notice... It's bizarre.
actually.....I was graded as superior in science....by a gov survey test
and I was still in grade school when that happened

I've gotten a lot better since then

how are you doing?

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Time is not disprovable. Things wear down and break because each moment is in relation to the next. Time is how we age. Equations are not going to destroy the reality of time.

The option you consider is that there is only now all our lives from none beginnings to none endings. Perhaps also that the past, present, and future are equally real. I think this proposition is deceptive and you are fooling yourself.

Change is time in action. Moment to moment is not unrelated. And nobody lives in a frozen moment.

I would go so far as to think that maybe time has a tangible detectable quality, and is not totally the same wherever we go. I would say the earth is near uniform in the passage of time, and all time is approximations relative to positions. If the equations somehow negate time as real, then there must be an unknown cause and effect, not previously accounted for.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I would go so far as to think that maybe time has a tangible detectable quality, and is not totally the same wherever we go.

it is the same.....

for the sake of equation....calculation... a constant has been employed

it's not moment to moment as you said
all MOTION is relative
time is a quotient we use to help us grasp that effect

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
So what is the principle involved in measuring time Osgart, using a Sun Dial, Pendulum Clock, or Quartz Clock for example? What is being called time is the proxy instrumental changes.

ratiocinator

Lightly seared on the reality grill.
actually.....I was graded as superior in science....by a gov survey test
and I was still in grade school when that happened

I've gotten a lot better since then

So you were good at science when you were at school. That's nice for you. Take your pick:-
  1. So where is the actual science behind your assertions?

2. What went wrong?

tas8831

cause and effect....
What..
caused.... the God
but when you get to that primordial ....'point'...
of decision...

is substance?...self .....creating
is substance?...self....motivated

I say.....Spirit first

Who cares...what

You say.

Positing an exception ...

to your

Cause and eFFect...

Scenario as it suits...

... your needs...

is illogical and sad.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
So you were good at science when you were at school. That's nice for you. Take your pick:-
  1. So where is the actual science behind your assertions?

2. What went wrong?
cause and effect

what went wrong?
man failed to realize.....at the point of creation
science did not yet exist

prior to......I AM!

no law

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Both infinity and eternity are difficult concepts

Hmm...I work with infinite sets every day. They take a bit of getting used to, but are not all that difficult to comprehend. In fact, it is part of the *undergraduate* math curriculum.

Eternity isn't that difficult either once you have the notion of infinity.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
standing...

is difficult near to...

the primordial singularity...
yeah well.....if you can't picture the event

you won't ever have an answer

if you can't see the problem.....you can't really ask the proper question

so.....first one point.....no infinity
the same moment a second point forms.....
infinity forms with it

got a problem with that?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Hmm...I work with infinite sets every day. They take a bit of getting used to, but are not all that difficult to comprehend. In fact, it is part of the *undergraduate* math curriculum.

Eternity isn't that difficult either once you have the notion of infinity.
cool....but do the numbers help?

do you need the numbers to see the event?