• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you have a human soul?

Sedim Haba

Outa here... bye-bye!
(I'ma gonna stick this here, cuz why not? It'll be the most interesting place for sure...)

IF you believe in reincarnation (and yes, some Jews do) then were you a human before?

If not, do you have a human soul now? If yes, how?
If not ...If you were a butterfly before, do you have a butterfly soul now?

Personally, I don't think I have a human soul. You all are incomprehensible, that's why.

RestlessSoul

Chuang-tzu once dreamed he was a butterfly soaring on fluttering wings, content with himself and following his own desires. He knew not that he was Chuang-tzu. But suddenly he awoke and found that he was most certainly Chuang-tzu. He no longer knew if he was a butterfly in Chuang-tzu's dream, or Chuang-tzu in the dream of a butterfly.

Viker

Häxan
If reincarnation were true, there would only be souls to transfer from one life to the next. Not merely animal souls, human or tree souls. A soul could go from a butterfly to a human and then to a hamster.

I like to think I was a hummingbird before inhabiting this body. :p

Sedim Haba

Outa here... bye-bye!
If reincarnation were true, there would only be souls to transfer from one life to the next. Not merely animal souls, human or tree souls. A soul could go from a butterfly to a human and then to a hamster.

Fair point! How to define a 'human' soul?
Is the soul responsible for Sapience or the brain of the inhabited body?

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Our soul is that part of us that is of God. It comes from and returns to God.
I do not know if we reincarnate or not. But it is possible.
I see no distinction between souls.

Apart from giving us life, and being our channel to God. Our souls have no physical function nor the functioning of our brain. Nor do we have any control over it.

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I am a ginger. I was born without a soul. So I steal the souls of others and take their knowledge and energies into me. The process of the soul being ripped from another and merged into my being leaves a freckle on the skin, the result of such an intense burning heat in the spiritual realm that it bleeds through into the physical realm. It's painless for me, but I assume it's agonizing for my victims.

Jedster

..and I first incarnated as a pterodactyl

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
IF you believe in reincarnation (and yes, some Jews do) then were you a human before?
Personally, I don't think I have a human soul. You all are incomprehensible, that's why.
If you think you do not have a human soul, some people here, who too do not accept the existence of God or soul, should be comprehensible to you.
No, I do not believe in having a soul, which means I do not believe in reincarnation or resurrection, being raised again. Once dead, the destination is earth and environment, depending on whether one is buried or cremated.
Fair point! How to define a 'human' soul?
Is the soul responsible for Sapience or the brain of the inhabited body?
Inhabited? That happens when one's body is possessed by a spirit. Sure, sapience is because of brain.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
(I'ma gonna stick this here, cuz why not? It'll be the most interesting place for sure...)

Thats what happens when your last life was spent as a green alien with 25 brains and 56 tentacles, 780 billion light years away on a water world the size of Jupiter.

amorphous_constellation

When you think about it, the soul couldn't really accrete genuinely novel experiences if it remembered all its past lives. If novel experiences are what it is after, then the only way for it to get them, is to live somewhat uniquely each time it dons a body. And then maybe there points on its journey, where it can go into a state of reflection, and remember all its lives. But I don't really know where or how it would do that, maybe it has a sort of homebase brain that it keeps on a very safe planet somewhere, depositing memories in it as if it were a bank

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
When you think about it, the soul couldn't really accrete genuinely novel experiences if it remembered all its past lives. If novel experiences are what it is after, then the only way for it to get them, is to live somewhat uniquely each time it dons a body. And then maybe there points on its journey, where it can go into a state of reflection, and remember all its lives. But I don't really know where or how it would do that, maybe it has a sort of homebase brain that it keeps on a very safe planet somewhere, depositing memories in it as if it were a bank

Why do you suppose that the soul is aware of anything in a restricted human way.
If it is indeed of God then it will be be aware of things from God's perspective, and may be not as an individual at all.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

Yes. In Meher Baba's model souls start in as gas then stone then metal then vegetable and so forth until they take human bodies. In human form there are 8,400,000 rebirths before all possible lives are experienced and all human desires finally satisfied.

amorphous_constellation

Why do you suppose that the soul is aware of anything in a restricted human way.
If it is indeed of God then it will be be aware of things from God's perspective, and may be not as an individual at all.

I can only posit that some amount of restriction is what provides the necessary contrast to unique experience. And even God takes action, or seems to, and chosen action necessarily seems to obviate an infinite selection of alternative actions, at the time a chosen action occurs. If each person is like a book, that the soul reads, then the contents of that book are easier read, un-obscured by the superimposition of text from other books. For example, it would be harder to read terry pratchett if you had stories from tolkien which would intercept themselves over all of pratchett's sentences, as you tried to read pratchett

Sedim Haba

Outa here... bye-bye!

Well, if this is the case, why any emphasis on reward or punishment of deeds of that soul during it's human life?

(EDIT: disappointed thread was moved. It got much more creative responses where it was.)

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Well, if this is the case, why any emphasis on reward or punishment of deeds of that soul during it's human life?

(EDIT: disappointed thread was moved. It got much more creative responses where it was.)

It is people that have got it wrong, they try to put reward and punishment in to everything.
Souls do neither good nor bad they just act as a conduit to God.

Sedim Haba

Outa here... bye-bye!
It is people that have got it wrong, they try to put reward and punishment in to everything.
Souls do neither good nor bad they just act as a conduit to God.

This has been touched on a few times in this thread.

Does a soul have a mind? Or is it just a divine spark?

A soul is spirit. Angels also are sometimes pure spirit, and some indeed
do have a mind as spirit. But not all angels, it depends on their mission.

Any concept of reward or punishment that would be required for a just G-d
would either necessitate a conscious sentient and indeed sapient soul mind
or if the soul is only a spark, then requires resurrection of a body so capable.

Throw in reincarnation and the question for choice two is what body?
The last, or the best? And if multiple human bodies which one's judged?

Last edited:

Sedim Haba

Outa here... bye-bye!
No, I have a human body.

I don't entirely understand your response in regard to my OP.

Are you replying to the title, "Do you have a human soul?"
or to the question within, "do you believe in reincarnation?"

Sorry IDK anything about Saivite Hindu to know?