• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you get smart when you die?

james2ko

this is why I tried to offer the reasoning which suggests that Rev20:5 is not about being 'resurrected' after the 1,000 years

You are attempting to reason with me by grossly misconstruing a literal scripture into a symbolic one by inserting a phrase that isn't there? Sorry, I was born at night but not last night..

but they are 'coming to life' in a different sense. You are reading it literally, yet the scriptures speak about life and death figuratively in many cases. think about the verses from Ephesians and Colossians where Paul says that christians were once 'dead' but God made them 'alive' You surely know that this is figurative. Paul was speaking to living people. Even Jesus spoke about some people who refused to follow him as being 'dead'.

So does this mean we should take the verses referring to the resurrection in Rev 20 the same way? Of course not...

I know exactly what these verses mean. They are figures of speech describing a sinner's spiritually "dead" state prior to their conversion. Jesus used this figure of speech in Mat 8:22 and Luk 9:60 when He told one of His disciples to "let the dead bury the dead". These are clearly defined as figures of speech and have no bearing on literal life, death, or the resurrection.

Also in Rev 20, the context is that John is speaking of the first resurrection. The first resurrection is for the Chosen ones who are resurrected to 'life' and will rule with Christ in heaven.

Scritpture indicates Christ will descend from the clouds of heaven (1 Th 4:16) The Saints will meet Christ in the air (1 th 4:17) but other verses indicated they will immediately descend and rule from the earth!

Zec 14:4 "And in that day His feet will stand on the Mount of Olives..." If the Saints, immediately following their resurrection, meet Christ in the air and 1Th 4:17 states they will "always be with the Lord", then the implication is clearly they also descended and stood with Him on the Mount of Olives!

Obadiah 1:21 confirms this (Oba 1:15 sets the context to the return of Christ):

"Then saviors shall come to Mount Zion To judge the mountains of Esau, And the kingdom shall be the LORD's.​

This is in complete harmony with Jud 1:14-15 and Psa 149:5-9:

Jud 1:14-15 Now Enoch, the seventh from Adam, prophesied about these men also, saying, "Behold, the Lord comes with ten thousands of His saints, 15 to execute judgment on all, to convict all who are ungodly among them of all their ungodly deeds which they have committed in an ungodly way, and of all the harsh things which ungodly sinners have spoken against Him."​

Psa 149:5-9* Let the saints be joyful in glory; Let them sing aloud on their beds. 6* Let the high praises of God be in their mouth, And a two-edged sword in their hand, 7* To execute vengeance on the nations, And punishments on the peoples; 8* To bind their kings with chains, And their nobles with fetters of iron; 9 To execute on them the written judgment— This honor have all His saints. Praise the LORD!

Look at your bible and notice that the phrase is in brackets ("and the rest of the dead did not come to life until after the 1,000 years ended") The reason why translators put this phrase in brackets is because they are not linked to those being spoken of in Rev 20. Here it is:

Rev 20:4 And I saw thrones, and there were those who sat down on them, and power of judging was given them. Yes, I saw the souls of those executed with the ax for the witness they bore to Jesus and for speaking about God, and those who had worshiped neither the wild beast nor its image and who had not received the mark upon their forehead and upon their hand. And they came to life and ruled as kings with the Christ for a thousand years. 5 (The rest of the dead did not come to life until the thousand years were ended.) This is the first resurrection. 6 Happy and holy is anyone having part in the first resurrection; over these the second death has no authority, but they will be priests of God and of the Christ, and will rule as kings with him for the thousand years"

I am well aware of the parenthetical statement in Rev 20:5. It merely gives the impression that verse 5 is referring to the rest of the dead being part of the first resurrection. Which we know is not the case.

You see, the first resurrection are for those who will rule with Christ in heaven. The REST OF THE DEAD will not be going to rule in heaven with Christ. These take part in the 2nd resurrection - the earthly resurrection.

And neither are those from the first resurrection.

They will be the ones such as the criminal who Jesus said 'you will be with me in paradise' and the faithful men of old such as Abel, Abraham, Jacob etc and anyone you may personally know who have died ...your great grandparents, and their parents.... and people from the first world war who died at that time... all those millions of people who died in concentration camps. They are all 'the rest of the dead' who will receive an earthly resurrection

And I agree. But scripture plainly indicates, Not "until" the 1,000 years were finished! (Rev 20:5)

John tells us what happens:

Revelation 20:7-9a.“Now as soon as the thousand years have been ended, Satan will be let loose out of his prison, and he will go out to mislead those nations in the four corners of the earth, ... to gather them together for the war. The number of these is as the sand of the sea. 9 And they advanced over the breadth of the earth and encircled the camp of the holy ones and the beloved city. But fire came down out of heaven and devoured them. 10 And the Devil who was misleading them was hurled into the lake of fire and sulphur, where both the wild beast and the false prophet [already were]; and they will be tormented day and night forever and ever.” That will be the final battle and many will choose to rebel but will be destroyed along with Satan. So to be a faithful perfect human at time will mean truly 'coming to life' forever. They will live eternally on earth as Psalms says:

Satan will be let loose to deceive the descendants of the inhabitants who survived into the start of the millenium! Not to test those that come or came up in the 2nd resurrection. The 2nd resurrection will not occur until after the 1,000 years and Satan is put away! if you read Rev 20 in chronological order as God intended, the correct interpretation becomes quite clear.

God wants to ensure, as scripture indicates, that as many people as possible receive salvation. He will make sure the conditions are favorable for this to occur.

"The righteous will possess the earth and they will reside forever upon it"

This could also refer to those in the first resurrection. As so many verses indicate.

Do you see why it cannot be possible for the resurrection to occur after the 1,000 years?

The Saints will rule on the earth. As the scriptures above clearly indicate. Since your premise is predicated on a perceived symbolic interpretation of Rev 20:5, the rest of your interpretation will be in error.

As I said, the bible is to be interpreted literally, until proven otherwise. And unfortunately, you have not proven to me in a logical, literal, or biblical manner otherwise. If anything, you have proven to me the JW's have the resurrection doctrine more in error than I originally thought. Sorry..

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
James,
Your ideas are interesting, and I'm curious if you are aware that passages that say 'all men' can also be translated 'all mankind' and fit better with the gospel going to every nation tribe and tongue. In other words, it fits better to say that God is saving the whole race, but not every soul.
So... in your view, the concept of "race" is a theological necessity?

In that case, what do you make of the biologists and sociologists who say that "race" is, in scientific terms, a fundamentally invalid concept?

sniper762

if one believes (as i do) that the human boody is born (through procreation) and its spirit (non-physical) from god is imbedded, then they must understand that the spirit within one is already at a mature state, yet it is restricted by the physical atributes of the newborn baby.

have you ever seen a newborn baby smile (usually when asleep)? how can it comprehend "funny" or "appealing" when its physical state has not yet learned word or any other association?

i believe that the spirit continues to advance in knowledge obtained through its physical lifelong existance and keeps that knowledge after the physical body has died.

i think that one of the reasons that god sent his son to earth was to learn through his physical earthly body what it was like to experience things such as love, loyalty, pain, suffering and death that he could not learn through spiritual existence alone.

our physical existense here is similar.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
As I said, the bible is to be interpreted literally, until proven otherwise. And unfortunately, you have not proven to me in a logical, literal, or biblical manner otherwise. If anything, you have proven to me the JW's have the resurrection doctrine more in error than I originally thought. Sorry..

Can you direct me to where the bible tells us to interpret it literally?

Because i've seen the bible is very obviously not interpreted literally even by those who deliver Gods message. For instance in the book of Daniel we can see how an angel gives the interpretation of certain wild beasts that Daniel saw in vision. The angels interpretation was not a literal interpretation... the beasts of Daniel were figurative.

then there are also things that Jesus said that some took literally but that the apostles later explained as not being literal like the incident where Jesus told a group of disciples that they would have to drink and eat his blood and body. Later it was John who said "but he wasnt speaking about his flesh"

So the indication is that there are many non literal interpretations to be found....i agree there are many literal interpretations too, but just as many non literal ones.

Last edited:

james2ko

2Pe 1:20 For YOU know this first, that no prophecy of Scripture springs from any private interpretation. (New World Translation)

This is exactly what JW's do when interpreting Rev 20:5.

Because i've seen the bible is very obviously not interpreted literally even by those who deliver Gods message. For instance in the book of Daniel we can see how an angel gives the interpretation of certain wild beasts that Daniel saw in vision. The angels interpretation was not a literal interpretation... the beasts of Daniel were figurative.

Which the bible interprets in other books.

then there are also things that Jesus said that some took literally but that the apostles later explained as not being literal like the incident where Jesus told a group of disciples that they would have to drink and eat his blood and body. Later it was John who said "but he wasnt speaking about his flesh"

Great example of the bible interpreting itself.

So the indication is that there are many non literal interpretations to be found....i agree there are many literal interpretations too, but just as many non literal ones.

I agree. Although I find it much easier to initially interpret it from a literal premise. Look I'm not a strict literalist. If I find or am directed to something contrary to the text's literal interpretation, I do not consider my ego too big to admit I'm wrong and change my view or belief.

Last edited:

james2ko

James,
Your ideas are interesting, and I'm curious if you are aware that passages that say 'all men' can also be translated 'all mankind' and fit better with the gospel going to every nation tribe and tongue.

Looking forward to your reply,
QM

All men, in the context of salvation, signifies all mankind.

In other words, it fits better to say that God is saving the whole race, but not every soul.

The saving of every soul, in this age or life is one of the biggest misconceptions of Christianity. Take a quick look around. Forget about the rest of the world for a moment and think of how many people are "saved" just in your circle of family and friends?

If they're all "saved", expand your view to you coworkers, fellow students, etc. God is not in some titanic struggle with Satan for souls. If our Omnipotent, Omniscent God was trying to save every soul in this age, don't you think He would be doing so? The simple truth is He is not. This is why Jesus spoke in parables.

Most Christians believe Jesus spoke in parables to make His meaning clearer. However, scripture indicates He spoke in parables to actually hide their meaning and prevent the general population from being forgiven of their sins! (Mat 13:34; Mat 13:10-15; Mar 4:11-12)

Blackheart

All men, in the context of salvation, signifies all mankind.

The saving of every soul, in this age or life is one of the biggest misconceptions of Christianity. Take a quick look around. Forget about the rest of the world for a moment and think of how many people are "saved" just in your circle of family and friends?

If they're all "saved", expand your view to you coworkers, fellow students, etc. God is not in some titanic struggle with Satan for souls. If our Omnipotent, Omniscent God was trying to save every soul in this age, don't you think He would be doing so? The simple truth is He is not. This is why Jesus spoke in parables.

Most Christians believe Jesus spoke in parables to make His meaning clearer. However, scripture indicates He spoke in parables to actually hide their meaning and prevent the general population from being forgiven of their sins! (Mat 13:34; Mat 13:10-15; Mar 4:11-12)

Dont you think that maybe he was providing an opportunity to those who were willing to truely seek understanding rather than simply laying it on a plate for anyone to find salvation regardless of their sincerity and effort?

ellenjanuary

Literal interpretation. :p

One of the funniest things in my book, is picturing Moses with his staff. "Cast down your staff," the Lord commands. Moses casts down his staff, turns into a snake; Moses runs away scairt. "Moses! How many times do I have to tell you!" I can see the Divine Hand delivering the Divine Cuff upside the Mosaic cranium. :D

Thing is, god beyond understanding means; god beyond understanding. ;)

Blackheart

Literal interpretation. :p

One of the funniest things in my book, is picturing Moses with his staff. "Cast down your staff," the Lord commands. Moses casts down his staff, turns into a snake; Moses runs away scairt. "Moses! How many times do I have to tell you!" I can see the Divine Hand delivering the Divine Cuff upside the Mosaic cranium. :D

Thing is, god beyond understanding means; god beyond understanding. ;)

Thats hilarious. Poor Moses lol

james2ko

Dont you think that maybe he was providing an opportunity to those who were willing to truely seek understanding rather than simply laying it on a plate for anyone to find salvation regardless of their sincerity and effort?

No indication whatsoever in the NT Jesus is trying to save the world in this age. There is every indication He is not. How could God be trying to save the whole world If:

-He is allowing Satan to rule (John 14:30), deceive and influence this world (Rev 12:9; 1 John 5:19) and deliberately allowing him to blind humanity to the truth (2 Cor 4:4).
-Jesus often avoided crowds (Mat 5:1; Mat 8:18; Mat 13:36; Mar 3:13; John 5:13: John 7:10).
-Jesus would often tell those whom He had healed not to tell anyone who healed them (Mat 8:4; Mat 9:30; mat 12:16; mar 5:35, 41-43; Mar 7:35-36)
-After 3.5 years of the Omnipotent Son of God preaching and after His death, resurrection, and ascension into heaven, He only gained 120 disciples. (Act 1:2-4,15)
-Only a few are called in this life and His church would continue to be small and persecuted (Luke 12:32; Mat 10:16; Mat 7:13-14; John 16:33; 2 Ti 3:12)

This is hardly the behavior and results of someone trying to provide an opportunity to those who were willing to truly seek understanding. Wouldn't you agree?

Last edited:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
if one believes (as i do) that the human boody is born (through procreation) and its spirit (non-physical) from god is imbedded, then they must understand that the spirit within one is already at a mature state, yet it is restricted by the physical atributes of the newborn baby.
So the spirit, i.e. what we truly are in your formulation, cannot grow?

I find that idea to be rather depressing.

have you ever seen a newborn baby smile (usually when asleep)? how can it comprehend "funny" or "appealing" when its physical state has not yet learned word or any other association?
Two possibilities come to mind:

- innate instinct.
- its smile has nothing to do with how it's feeling (mild gas, maybe?) and you're projecting thoughts and intents on the baby that aren't actually rooted in fact.

sniper762

yes, the spirit grows with knowledge learned while in the physical body.

as for the baby's smile..........just my belief for debate

Blackheart

No indication whatsoever in the NT Jesus is trying to save the world in this age. There is every indication He is not. How could God be trying to save the whole world If:

-He is allowing Satan to rule (John 14:30), deceive and influence this world (Rev 12:9; 1 John 5:19) and deliberately allowing him to blind humanity to the truth (2 Cor 4:4).
-Jesus often avoided crowds (Mat 5:1; Mat 8:18; Mat 13:36; Mar 3:13; John 5:13: John 7:10).
-Jesus would often tell those whom He had healed not to tell anyone who healed them (Mat 8:4; Mat 9:30; mat 12:16; mar 5:35, 41-43; Mar 7:35-36)
-After 3.5 years of the Omnipotent Son of God preaching and after His death, resurrection, and ascension into heaven, He only gained 120 disciples. (Act 1:2-4,15)
-Only a few are called in this life and His church would continue to be small and persecuted (Luke 12:32; Mat 10:16; Mat 7:13-14; John 16:33; 2 Ti 3:12)

This is hardly the behavior and results of someone trying to provide an opportunity to those who were willing to truly seek understanding. Wouldn't you agree?

Im afraid I have to disagree with much of this:
-While I would definately agree that we are not all destined for Heaven, Satan is allowed to rule so that we are tested. Those of us who resist Satan's efforts have therefore proven that we are worthy.
-In my opinion Jesus avoided crowds in order to delay his death until the appropriate time. I.e the more people that heard him the quicker the accusations of blasphemy would grow as well as the size of his following and therefore the seriousness of the percieved threat he posed to the Pharasises.
-The same goes for the healing.
-He only gained 120 disciples because thats simply the amount of people that sincerely followed him and lived the life he directed. In other words only 120 passed the test.
-His church would be small because most so called Christians are led astray by the varying denomiations who have diluted/altered or misunderstood his teachings.

In essence I agree that not many people will pass the test but the opportunity is given to every living person on this planet and this includes non Christians (in the traditional classification.) who havent even heard of the bible.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member

Is it 'save the world' or save those following him 'out of the world'?
Jesus prayed at John 17vs14-16 that his followers be not part of this world.
[Jesus, nor his first-century followers, involved themselves in the political affairs of the world but remained neutral]
God's promise at 2nd Peter 3v13 is a new earth or new world where only righteousness will dwell.

Before that becomes a reality, first according to Revelation Satan was cast out of heaven toward earth. Satan only has a limited amount of time before Jesus begins his 1000-year reign over earth. Satan tries to blind minds of unbelievers [2Cor 4v4] but he can only succeed if one wants to believe lies.
-John 8v44

Jesus did Not avoid the crowd of 4,000+ when he fed them bread and fishes.

There were some Jesus told to not tell anyone so as not to created too much attention until the time for that to come.

If you continue reading in Acts chapter two you will read in verses 41,47 that at Pentecost 3,000 were baptized and the congregation grew from there.

'Few' today would be in comparison to the world's population.
'Many' are covered by Jesus ransom- Matthew 20v28
Except for those of Matt 12v32, those already dead [Rom 6v7]
will be resurrected to either heaven, or resurrected on earth during Jesus millennial reign over earth.

Those living at the time of Matthew 25vs31,32 [our time frame] it is the 'goats' that will be destroyed before Jesus ushers in Peace on Earth toward men of goodwill.
-Isaiah 11v4; Rev 19vs11,14,15

So Jesus is not trying to save a wicked world [Psalm 92v7] but save the upright from the wicked.
-Proverbs 2vs21,22; 10v30; Psalm 37vs11,29,38

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
-While I would definately agree that we are not all destined for Heaven, Satan is allowed to rule so that we are tested. Those of us who resist Satan's efforts have therefore proven that we are worthy.
-In my opinion Jesus avoided crowds in order to delay his death until the appropriate time. I.e the more people that heard him the quicker the accusations of blasphemy would grow as well as the size of his following and therefore the seriousness of the percieved threat he posed to the Pharasises.
-He only gained 120 disciples because thats simply the amount of people that sincerely followed him and lived the life he directed. In other words only 120 passed the test.
-His church would be small because most so called Christians are led astray by the varying denomiations who have diluted/altered or misunderstood his teachings.
In essence I agree that not many people will pass the test but the opportunity is given to every living person on this planet and this includes non Christians (in the traditional classification.) who havent even heard of the bible.

Blackheart-

I enjoyed your ^above ^ post.
Please notice although 120 were gathered in one room does not mean that they were Jesus only followers. They were the only followers that were filled with holy spirit on Pentecost for the purpose to be able to speak to others instantly in another's mother tongue, or in other words, speak a foreign language without lessons.
Acts 2vs6-11

Those that were only Baptized by John the Baptist would be now baptized under the covenant arrangement or Christian arrangement.

The result of being able to speak to those of verses 9-11 was that 3,000+ got baptized and the Christian congregation continued to grow. Acts 2v47

Blackheart

Blackheart-

I enjoyed your ^above ^ post.
Please notice although 120 were gathered in one room does not mean that they were Jesus only followers. They were the only followers that were filled with holy spirit on Pentecost for the purpose to be able to speak to others instantly in another's mother tongue, or in other words, speak a foreign language without lessons.
Acts 2vs6-11

Those that were only Baptized by John the Baptist would be now baptized under the covenant arrangement or Christian arrangement.

The result of being able to speak to those of verses 9-11 was that 3,000+ got baptized and the Christian congregation continued to grow. Acts 2v47

Thank you. Note taken. I would like to add that baptisim alone would not entitle them to salvation although what youve explained does show that a deliberate effort was being made to convert more people. The test is in the life that these individuals led after their baptisim.

St Giordano Bruno

I believe that we continue to progress in the afterlife. A person may not automatically become more intelligent upon the event of death, but they will at that time be endowed with a greater capacity for intelligence; for, their mind will no longer be associated with a physical brain which may be subject to impediments such as lack of development or abnormal development.

Do you believe that "spirit brain" would be any more intricate and more complex than our current brain?

james2ko

-While I would definately agree that we are not all destined for Heaven,

No one is destined for heaven..

Joh 3:13 No one has ascended to heaven but He who came down from heaven, that is, the Son of Man who is in heaven.

Satan is allowed to rule so that we are tested. Those of us who resist Satan's efforts have therefore proven that we are worthy.

Scripture does implicate satan's small role in testing Christians, However that is not His primary role:

2 Cor 4:3-4 But even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled to those who are perishing, 4 whose minds the god of this age has blinded, who do not believe, lest the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine on them.​

1Jn 5:19 We know that we are of God, and the whole world lies under the sway of the wicked one.​

Providing an opportunity to those who were willing to truely seek understanding

Mat 13:10-11 And the disciples came and said to Him, "Why do You speak to them in parables?" 11 He answered and said to them, "Because it has been given to you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it has not been given.

How is this providing an opportunity to those who were willing to truly seek understanding? Jesus didn't even give them a chance...Is it perhaps because there will be a time in the future where He will?

Mar 4:11-12 And he said unto them, Unto you it is given to know the mystery of the kingdom of God: but unto them that are without, all these things are done in parables 12 That seeing they may see, and not perceive; and hearing they may hear, and not understand; lest at any time they should be converted, and their sins should be forgiven them.

You can read into, explain, hypothesize or make believe this verse says something else but the scripture is undeniably clear. Jesus Christ is not attempting to save everyone in this age.

There may be some truth to your opinion. However, the preponderance of the evidence in the NT points to the fact that God is not trying to save the world in this life.

Perhaps you are not aware but the only way that any man can "pass the test" [be saved] is by accepting Jesus Christ (Acts 4:12) Can you please logically, not symbolically, point out from the bible when those born before Jesus will even get a chance to take the test, let alone pass it?

How about those in remote areas of the Amazon? The unreachable areas of the Himalayas where there is no tv, phone, print media and the gospel has not and cannot ever reach? How are the mentally incapable going to pass? What about the babies that have died, won't they get a chance to take the test?

St Giordano Bruno

There is one thing I personally struggle and find impossible to believe in and that is we have in store us a supernatural existence in Heaven with a brand spanking new brain which is much smarter than this one if we pass the test on this earth. I just wonder if there is also another brain in Hell that is kept in reserve so we can sense and be aware of all that eternal suffering if we do not pass the test on this earth but one or the other brain is destroyed if we live a righteous or less than righteous life on this earth.

I prefer to believe the only type of brains we can possess are terrestrial type of brains like the ones we have on a physical earth planet. The nearest I can get to a belief in a spiritual brain is the brain as genetic program which is what sets human brains apart from chimpanzee brains. The human brain exists initially as a genetic pattern through the human genome and I believe the "self" is blurred out over that genetic pattern until one is randomly actualized. So if your parents had never met then because the self is spread over the genetic pattern you become someone else instead. That is my theory.