• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you get nervous invoking gods?

Theweirdtophat

I always wondered is it natural to be a little nervous when invoking gods and spirits

Even for the most simple rituals which are almost more like simple prayers maybe with a few offerings ect. Do you ever get nervous when doing it when calling on upon powers you don't fully understand. Do you ever get nervous of the consequences

Even when you invoke deities that are good, that are not evil or hostile isn't it natural to be nervous because you are afraid you may mess up the ritual by either by missing a line or perhaps forgetting something else to do. I hear some rituals are personal and don't always have to be followed exactly to the letter other wise it will blow up in your face and so forth But perhaps it isn't that it wouldn't blow up in your face, you just wouldn't get the results you want? Is that true for you?

Just wondering what your thoughts are.

Baladas

An Págánach
I personally don't get nervous every time. I think that every deity that you invoke should be approached with reverence, but not fear.
As far as following ritual to the letter...I make no claim to expertise.

As for myself, I feel that what you've said is right - you are not exactly the same as any other person, and your relationship to your gods is personal and unique.
Personally, I do what feels appropriate in that moment.

Theweirdtophat

As far as I know evoking is more dangerous than invoking as invoking is calling in but evoking from what I hear is more commanding as it involves summoning and conjuring which I always thought was kind of dangerous. I guess I may be paranoid about the whole thing. Even with simple offerings sometimes I had worried that even the slightest chance something can go wrong could backfire drastically and I am never commanding and try to be as respectful as I can even doing small offerings and writing poetry for the deities.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
I always wondered is it natural to be a little nervous when invoking gods and spirits

Even for the most simple rituals which are almost more like simple prayers maybe with a few offerings ect. Do you ever get nervous when doing it when calling on upon powers you don't fully understand. Do you ever get nervous of the consequences

Even when you invoke deities that are good, that are not evil or hostile isn't it natural to be nervous because you are afraid you may mess up the ritual by either by missing a line or perhaps forgetting something else to do. I hear some rituals are personal and don't always have to be followed exactly to the letter other wise it will blow up in your face and so forth But perhaps it isn't that it wouldn't blow up in your face, you just wouldn't get the results you want? Is that true for you?

The gods are very likely post-humans, futuristic descendants of us whom they are simulating in order to learn how their ancestors had evolved; these futuristic post-humans ( gods ) want to better understand more about us in order to better understand themselves.

Last edited:

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
If I get nervous or anxious when doing my practices - whether it is this or something else - that is usually a sign that my mental health is in a poor state. I've been doing this stuff for too long to get the jitters just for doing it. It's akin to the process of learning to drive an automobile - beyond a certain point you stop freaking out as you're behind the wheel doing driving down the road at lethal velocities because you just know what you're doing. If you're anxious while driving, it's because there's something else going on in your life... it's not that you're anxious about the driving.

Stanyon

WWMRD?
I haven't used any physical or mental props for years with very few exceptions, I.e. group rituals etc. and this was/is by design. With personal Werkings I see the "tools of the trade" as merely symbolic ones that gave one a visceral tool to project oneself which help some in the early stages. Since these are just physical and psychological props they can also become a limitation as some can become dependent upon them.
The answer for me is no as I see the mythologies as nothing more than psychological props but they can be useful at times.

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
In my eyes, before invoking anything, try to learn what the invoked god / goddess stands for, with all of his / her positive and negative aspects, in order to prevent unpleasant surprises. I avoid mixing gods from different cultures.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member

I personally don't perform rituals by any sort of narrative, so I am usually not worried about that aspect. My practice is based on orthopraxy, as opposed to orthodoxy. But I was nervous when I first started invoking the Gods, but that is because I was unsure of what to expect when dealing with them. Now that I have a much more intimate relationship, I have no problem interacting with them. Now I may have some slight reservations invoking Gods I have not worked with before, but I don't do that very often anymore.

My Gods are more about standing on equal footing with them, and using their lessons to better my life here.