• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you follow a Madhhab?

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
Salamu alaykum,

I would like to ask if anyone follows one of the 4 madhhabs (schools of thought/jurisprudence) or if you simply follow a scholar or number of scholars with whose opinions/fatwas you agree with.

The 4 Madhhabs are Hanafi, Maliki, Shafi and Hanbali.

Pastek

Sunni muslim
Wa'likum assalam

In the maghreb we usually follow the Maliki one.
So if i ask a question to an Imam he'll answer accordind to the Maliki madhab.

When i watch tv i sometimes listen to north africans (including sudanese, egyptians), saudis scholars eventually american scholars.
So i don't really care about his madhab if i think his reasoning is correct. I don't refuse to listen to an Imam because i think his madhab is different nori try to search where are the differences.

For exemple i've heard that some scholars in an other madhab (don't remember wich one) said eating seafood is not halal, in the maliki one it's halal so i follow my madhab.

Once an i asked an imam about the madhabs and he told me that for exemple people think that Imam Malik used to pray with the arms along the body so people followed him and prayed like that.
But he told me that in fact he had a problem with his arms and that's why he prayed like that so in reality we should pray with the hands in the chest.

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
Wa'likum assalam

In the maghreb we usually follow the Maliki one.
So if i ask a question to an Imam he'll answer accordind to the Maliki madhab.

When i watch tv i sometimes listen to north africans (including sudanese, egyptians), saudis scholars eventually american scholars.
So i don't really care about his madhab if i think his reasoning is correct. I don't refuse to listen to an Imam because i think his madhab is different nori try to search where are the differences.

For exemple i've heard that some scholars in an other madhab (don't remember wich one) said eating seafood is not halal, in the maliki one it's halal so i follow my madhab.

Once an i asked an imam about the madhabs and he told me that for exemple people think that Imam Malik used to pray with the arms along the body so people followed him and prayed like that.
But he told me that in fact he had a problem with his arms and that's why he prayed like that so in reality we should pray with the hands in the chest.

So how can someone like me and you who do not know much about Islam determine if a scholars reasoning is correct though?

By following a Madhhab we know that scholars are bound by many rules and require the majority of the scholars within that madhhab to agree with their view in order to be acted upon. While this same thing doesn't apply to someone who reads the verses and hadith of a particular issue and then goes posting his view on the internet or opens a website about questions and answers without other scholars saying it's right or wrong.

When Imam Malik, rahimahullah, made his first fatwa it was only after 70-75 other scholars said he qualifies to issue a fatwa/ruling. And we are talking about the time of the Tabi'in. So Imam Malik then made it a rule in his Madhhab that only after 70-75 scholars give someone permission to make a fatwa are they allowed to do so otherwise you do not qualify due to lack of knowledge.

As for praying with his hands on the side, he was imprisoned a few times by the Khalif for speaking out against him for his oppression. At one time he was beaten in prison so severely that he could not make salah with his hands joined in front of him and held them straight on his sides. I do not know if he ever made salah like this before or if it was only after being beaten.

Sakeenah

Salamu alaykum,

I would like to ask if anyone follows one of the 4 madhhabs (schools of thought/jurisprudence) or if you simply follow a scholar or number of scholars with whose opinions/fatwas you agree with.

Wa alaikum assallaam,

The shafi'i madhhab.

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
When i asked an Imam about the madhhabs he told me there's not big differences between them.

Yes I agree, in fact all the Imams (there were more than 4 Imams/Madhhabs initially) have said something along the lines of 'My opinion (in religious matters) is correct with the possibility that it may be incorrect and my oppositions opinion is wrong with the possibility that it may be correct'

However, although there are minor differences between madhhabs, it is not advised to pick and choose from them but rather stick to one since they each have their own evidences and reasoning behind their rulings.

The_Fisher_King

Trying to bring myself ever closer to Allah
Premium Member
Salamu alaykum,

Wa-alaikum-assalaam,

I (endeavour to) follow the Madhhab of Rasulullaah saws..

Wassalaam

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
Wa-alaikum-assalaam,

I (endeavour to) follow the Madhhab of Rasulullaah saws..

Wassalaam

Alaykum salam.

How does that work brother?

You are aware that the works of the people/scholars through whom you wish to follow Rasulallah, salallahu alayhi wa salam, were themselves followers of the Madhhabs?

Example, it is contradictory and illogical for someone to say that they seek to learn of the way of the Prophet through the hadith collections of Imam Bukhari and Muslim, rahmatullahi alayh, when they themselves followed the Shafi Madhhab.

Could you explain your reasoning a little further?

The_Fisher_King

Trying to bring myself ever closer to Allah
Premium Member
Alaykum salam.

How does that work brother?

You are aware that the works of the people/scholars through whom you wish to follow Rasulallah, salallahu alayhi wa salam, were themselves followers of the Madhhabs?

Example, it is contradictory and illogical for someone to say that they seek to learn of the way of the Prophet through the hadith collections of Imam Bukhari and Muslim, rahmatullahi alayh, when they themselves followed the Shafi Madhhab.

Could you explain your reasoning a little further?

Salaam,

My sources for the example of Rasulullaah saws and what it means to follow his example are not just the people who collected his sayings and observed the way he lived his life, and the reliable narrators after them, but more importantly Allaah's Word, as revealed in His Qur'aan and in His Answers to my du'aa.

Wrt the likes of Imaams Shaafi'i, Ahmad ibn Hanbal, Maalik ibn Anas and Abu Haneefah (other Madhaahib were known in earlier times), they also advised us to follow the Madhhab of Rasulullaah saws rather than them. So, for example, Imaam Shaafi'i said:

'Every statement on the authority of the Prophet (saws) is also my view, even if you do not hear it from me', 'when a hadeeth is found to be saheeh, then that is my Madhhab' and 'the Muslims are unanimously agreed that if a Sunnah of Rasulullaah (saws) is made clear to someone, it is not lawful for him to leave it for the saying of anyone else'.

Wassalaam

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
So how can someone like me and you who do not know much about Islam determine if a scholars reasoning is correct though?

By following a Madhhab we know that scholars are bound by many rules and require the majority of the scholars within that madhhab to agree with their view in order to be acted upon. While this same thing doesn't apply to someone who reads the verses and hadith of a particular issue and then goes posting his view on the internet or opens a website about questions and answers without other scholars saying it's right or wrong.

When Imam Malik, rahimahullah, made his first fatwa it was only after 70-75 other scholars said he qualifies to issue a fatwa/ruling. And we are talking about the time of the Tabi'in. So Imam Malik then made it a rule in his Madhhab that only after 70-75 scholars give someone permission to make a fatwa are they allowed to do so otherwise you do not qualify due to lack of knowledge.

As for praying with his hands on the side, he was imprisoned a few times by the Khalif for speaking out against him for his oppression. At one time he was beaten in prison so severely that he could not make salah with his hands joined in front of him and held them straight on his sides. I do not know if he ever made salah like this before or if it was only after being beaten.

Also, you can't blindly follow a specific imam just because both of you belong to the same madhab. Islam is much simpler than that. You don't have to *search* for a specific madhab to follow. You just have to follow whatever the majority of the land you live at follow so you wouldn't be constantly confused of the differences. Nevertheless, if you are knowledgable enough about Islam and know about interpretations of rulings and stuff then you can follow the daleel or proof wherever you find it.

Servant_of_the_One1

I follow no madhab. If i see fiqh issue in Hanafi school that is better than Shafi or Hanbali than i take that, or if i see maliki fiqh issue that is better than others then i take it. With better i mean i agree with the issue.
I dont follow blindly any madhab.

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
وعليكم السلام ورحمة الله وبركاته

I follow all four in what I see more appropriate in what they see. Their findings are based on efforts only, and not necessarily are the perfectly right thing.

faroukfarouk

Salaams to all.
Its makes no difference which Madhab you follow.
All four Imams (Madahabs) are correct.The differences are very minor.
One should follow the Madahab that the majority follows in one locality.
If you going to follow all four Madahabs then you will end up getting a "bearing knock".
"Bearing knock" means you will lose your bearing in your brains which will ultimately lead to brain damage.
One has to understand that Madahabs came into being before the hadiths books were written.
To fully understand Madahabs one must study all four Imams.When did they come into being.
How the Imams came into being.Who they studyied under.Where did they get their knowledge from.
How pious were they.
During the time when Madahabs came into being there was more that 50 Madahabs.It is through Allahs
intervention that today we only have four.Who know as time passes we may eventually have just one.
The four established madhab are based on the knowledge of some of the greatest minds in the history of Islam.
Brothers before making stupid comments like i dont follow any Madahab may i suggest that you fully study
the four Imams.
Guidance came to us via those imams and without their efforts we would definately be lost.
May Allah guide one and all.
Salaams.

Union

Even after this :

[6:159] As for those who divide their religion and break up into sects, thou hast no part in them in the least: their affair is with Allah: He will in the end tell them the truth of all that they did.

faroukfarouk

Brother Union please follow what i am going to say very carefully.
If every Muslim accepts your answer then the problem is there is more than a hundered thousand intellectuals
that are present in our Ummah today.Every intellectual will intepret the Noble Quraan according to his understanding.
Hence your answer will actually increase the amount of sects in the Ummah.

Union

Brother Union please follow what i am going to say very carefully.
If every Muslim accepts your answer then the problem is there is more than a hundered thousand intellectuals
that are present in our Ummah today.Every intellectual will intepret the Noble Quraan according to his understanding.
Hence your answer will actually increase the amount of sects in the Ummah.

Hi Farouk .Qur’an has detailed fundamental issues pertaining Islam. You need not to interpret these in thousands ways. You just have to have the minimum qualifications* to understand those and the next step is to follow those.

* Accepting GOD’s book to be the only source of Islam
* Knowledge in Arabic etc.