• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you find the teaching of eternal damnation thoroughly repulsive and the epitome of unjust?

Do you find the teaching of eternal damnation thoroughly repulsive and the epitome of unjust?

• Yes

Votes: 38 74.5%
  • No

Votes: 13 25.5%

• Total voters

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
A meteor killing us is not "chaos". It's just a natural occurrence. The meteor is still following Laws that enable the functioning of the Cosmos. Unless you are using "chaos" in a different way than I am reading it?
I think so. We have laws of physics, and while they do explain while they explain a natural phenomena, they don't give us a crystal ball to predict the future. **** happens, and there isn't much we can do about it.

Kirran

Premium Member
1st amendment rights. I will post what I want where I want. Cry to whomsoever will hear it.

While of course you do have the right to respond to allfoak's posts whether they like it or not, saying you 'will post what you want where you want' is a little reckless when RF moderation does in fact apply to your postings. The US Constitution is not the RF Rulebook.

Reggie Miller

While of course you do have the right to respond to allfoak's posts whether they like it or not, saying you 'will post what you want where you want' is a little reckless when RF moderation does in fact apply to your postings. The US Constitution is not the RF Rulebook.

How many times have I broken said rule?

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
There is NO place of eternal punishment & torture.

If you want to read an interesting book, try "Conversations with God" ...

It discusses the big questions - life & death, love & fear, the current state of the world etc etc

Here's a little sample -

Neale Donald Walsch’s “Conversations With God” Book 1

The blog doesn't totally agree with Neale's beliefs but it is interesting nonetheless.

All the best.

Reggie Miller

I didn't say anything about a rule you had broken. I just reminded you that RF is not a free-for-all.

I need no such reminder. That is my point. Don't assume I will break rules when I rarely do. I don't need you to look after me. Have a good evening.

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Here's a quote I just found - it seems relevant -

The central ideas of Christianity, an angry God and vicarious atonement, are contrary to every fact in nature, as also to the better aspirations of the human heart; they are, in our present stage of enlightenment, absurd, preposterous, and blasphemous propositions.

By Virchand Gandhi

Virchand Gandhi Quotes

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
I cringe and grit my teeth with disgust that God would do this to people I know that aren't bad people. Their crime is they don't believe in God or accept the wrong Gods and don't accept Jesus.
So, you don't find the teaching that people will be tossed about in flames while their agonizing flesh is devoured by worms, wailing and gnashing their teeth for eternity, to be disgusting?

What is their crime for receiving such an eternity of torture? Well, not believing in this God that hides himself and refuses to say a word, not accepting Jesus as their Lord and Savior. (Excuse me while I vomit!)

We have a book that divides people and contradicts itself that Christians can't agree on it's interpretation, and that is what we have to save souls from this eternity of torture. I see people on the road to Hell every day and what do I have as a life-preserver to try and save some of these drowning people, but a book full of contradictions and easily verifiable falsehoods. I HAVE NOTHING TO OFFER THESE PEOPLE!

God won't speak up. He's watching people die and go to Hell daily and could save the souls of so many atheists by simply speaking up, and he refuses. And he will have people tortured forever and ever and ever for not believing in him. You don't find that unjust and thoroughly repulsive?? *Barf!*

The good people you know have other crimes. I'm sure of it. This is why Christ died on the cross.

But the whole "burning in Hell" thing is more Catholic medieval nonsense.

Kelly of the Phoenix

I cringe and grit my teeth with disgust that God would do this to people I know that aren't bad people. Their crime is they don't believe in God or accept the wrong Gods and don't accept Jesus.
There are two kinds of Jesuses written about in the NT: The one who says, essentially, that we will get what we pay for, and the other who says plopping a Jesus sticker on your head is all that's necessary (and even that isn't guaranteed, as God apparently isn't beholden to objective morality and thus can send believers to hell because who's going to tell Him no?). I prefer the former, for at least it's fair. If you're barely moral, you get a barely pleasant heaven, like a continuation of your life, just less crappy. If you're a saint, you get all the bells and whistles :p

So, you don't find the teaching that people will be tossed about in flames while their agonizing flesh is devoured by worms, wailing and gnashing their teeth for eternity, to be disgusting?
Does seem to be overkill, no?

It's like beheading someone for jaywalking.

I hope I can reach a point where I don't care but it has been so drilled into me.
Never lose compassion for those wrongly damned. :)

So will you now sit in judgement of the Holy One of Israel? You know better.
God hasn't given us morals? If He has, then it's rational to view Him in light of what He said was moral versus immoral. Not our fault if He can't live up to His hype.

You can do it! It was hard for me at first, but once you reject god, you are renouncing his control over you, and that includes the fears of Hell and punishment.
I agree. Once you realize Satan is just some cliche boogeyman, you get over him fast. However, I took what Pope quoted as something more callous, which I concede may just be me. I took it that we should stop caring about those supposedly suffering.

70. Jesus said, "If you bring forth what is within you, what you have will save you. If you do not have that within you, what you do not have within you [will] kill you."
Luke: What's in there?
Yoda: Only what you take with you.

The gospel of Thomas is not in the Canon for a very good reason. It is not divinely inspired.
God came down and noted it in the margins?

God's Twitter account:
Just saw a report about Me today. I'm inside people, apparently. Doesn't care about promoting religious economic interests. FAKE NEWS!

I don't think God has any interest in punishment. Rehabilitation is the ticket.
Yes. Jesus once said if a tree doesn't grow straight, you should chop it down. Well, Mr. Smarty Robes, if the (G)ardener were competent, it would've grown right to begin with ...

Guess it's wise to not obsess about Dogmas that are bad for the mental and emotional health. Sorry!
Only Dogma you should care about is the Kevin Smith movie :p

Jenny Collins

T

What is their crime for receiving such an eternity of torture? Well, not believing in this God that hides himself and refuses to say a word, not accepting Jesus as their Lord and Savior. (Excuse me while I vomit!)

We have a book that divides people and contradicts itself that Christians can't agree on it's interpretation, and that is what we have to save souls from this eternity of torture. I see people on the road to Hell every day and what do I have as a life-preserver to try and save some of these drowning people, but a book full of contradictions and easily verifiable falsehoods. I HAVE NOTHING TO OFFER THESE PEOPLE!

God won't speak up. He's watching people die and go to Hell daily and could save the souls of so many atheists by simply speaking up, and he refuses. And he will have people tortured forever and ever and ever for not believing in him. You don't find that unjust and thoroughly repulsive?? *Barf!*
Th

Jenny Collins

The good people you know have other crimes. I'm sure of it. This is why Christ died on the cross.

But the whole "burning in Hell" thing is more Catholic medieval nonsense.
Anyone who approves of eternal torture for the sins of mere lifespan is being willfully ignorant. And the Bible doesnt even teach it.

Shlomoh

That God sentences you to eternal damnation in a place of fire is a completely Christian belief. Jews don't exactly have that idea. The closest that Jewish scripture comes to a negative aspect to the afterlife can be found in the book of Daniel in connection with the coming of the messianic age

Daniel 12:2
"And many of those who sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt."

There is controversy over what "everlasting shame and contempt" means, and the rabbis have many different interpretations. It's possible that some rabbis may have an idea not unlike the Xtian idea of a burning hell but these are only interpretations. Left by itself, the scripture is vague.

However, why would the idea of everlasting hell stand out as something particularly horrible about God when there are other things equally as bad about God in the Bible? For example, God commands the following people to be killed: homosexuals, witches, juvenile delinquents and priests who don't perform the given rituals correctly - just for starters. God also commands the Israelites to go into Canaanite towns and massacre all the inhabitants, adults and children. So what's the big deal about God condemning you to everlasting hell?

rusra02

Premium Member
The teaching that God torments the wicked in hellfire forever comes from false religions, IMO, not from the Bible.

Jenny Collins

When people fight. Hard to prove its alidity, I question what kind of conscience that they have. If people have a sense of right and wrong, they should nd t repugnant.

Okay, so show me that the gospel of Thomas is divinely inspired?

Divinely inspired? EVERYTHING in the bible was MADE UP by men thousands of years ago. There is no evidence of ANY supernatural beings/forces actually existing. At some point in the future people will view God and Jesus as people view Zeus and Odin today, and shake their heads in wonderment that anyone could actually believe in such obviously fabricated fairy tales.