• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you find it amusing to be referred to as a right-leaning person when you are staunchly centerist?

Mindmaster

Premium Member
Most of the time people seem to throw this out there toward me, when it couldn't be further from the truth - nonetheless, I find it amusing because it reflects how far off the deep end to the left they are rather than how right I am.

How do you all feel about this?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
In the US, the political center (at least the political center of politicians) has been moving to the right over the past 30 or 40 years. What was a "centrist" in, say, 1980 is now a left winger today. And what is a centrist today was a right winger in 1980.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
In the US, the political center (at least the political center of politicians) has been moving to the right over the past 30 or 40 years. What was a "centrist" in, say, 1980 is now a left winger today. And what is a centrist today was a right winger in 1980.

Might be true enough, I just find it funny because I feel both parties are equally full of it. They both have nonsensical positions so I just tend to vote for whoever seems the best/least objectionable.

Curious George

Veteran Member
Most of the time people seem to throw this out there toward me, when it couldn't be further from the truth - nonetheless, I find it amusing because it reflects how far off the deep end to the left they are rather than how right I am.

Well do you get that often? Do people on the right feel you are to the left? Is that just as amusing?

Why do you feel you are centrist?

Mindmaster

Premium Member
Well do you get that often? Do people on the right feel you are to the left? Is that just as amusing?

Why do you feel you are centrist?

It's actually pretty hard to speak with people that are far right in my area, which is just about 90% left no matter what. :D I base that view on the base assumption that I think right views taken to the extreme are just as intolerant as the left in the same case. I don't feel that balancing is always necessary either, so perhaps that is where I diverge from classical centrists in a way - in that they view that the balance is the most important. I'm happy with an approximation of a balanced approach, I guess.. .between social programs, and liberties... :D

Kapalika

Premium Member
I And what is a centrist today was a right winger in 1980.

Forget that, just from Bush to Obama it's shifted a lot.

I don't think America was ready for a black president, and a lot of groups used that to galvanize support... it's unfortunate but it is what it is. I kind of feel if McCain had won when the country went to complete garbage the Republicans would of taken a lot of the blame that they actually deserved ( a lot was left overs from Bush and things Republicans did when Obama was Prez, not that Obama helped in a lot of cases either continuing some Bush era policies and other stuff) and we wouldn't see the rise of this alt-right that we do now.

Heck, the Afforable Care Act probably wouldn't of been sabotaged as it would of remained associated with Republicans and passed easier if not be a little more liberal as the democrats wanted to amend some parts. Instead we got something with much less price controls and much more pro corporate than we would of otherwise due to obstructionists.

Might be true enough, I just find it funny because I feel both parties are equally full of it. They both have nonsensical positions so I just tend to vote for whoever seems the best/least objectionable.

Then why do you repeat well known conservative talking points so often? At least very much more often than liberal talking points?

Curious George

Veteran Member
It's actually pretty hard to speak with people that are far right in my area, which is just about 90% left no matter what. :D I base that view on the base assumption that I think right views taken to the extreme are just as intolerant as the left in the same case. I don't feel that balancing is always necessary either, so perhaps that is where I diverge from classical centrists in a way - in that they view that the balance is the most important. I'm happy with an approximation of a balanced approach, I guess.. .between social programs, and liberties... :D
What exactly is a balanced approach though?

Laika

Premium Member

You should see how the political spectrum looks from the other end dude. You all look like flat-earthers denying the very nature of reality from over here and you don't need LSD to get high on this dialectical mind ****. :D

tumblr_nyg46jD67b1qjdb42o1_400.gif

Mindmaster

Premium Member
Then why do you repeat well known conservative talking points so often? At least very much more often than liberal talking points?

Sometimes I feel they are valid, sometimes I don't. :D

Liberal talking points are largely focused on identity politics, and other drivel such as hate speech which I find terribly wasteful of ones life. None of this helps anyone, not even the people who constantly repeat it. :D

Right-wingers have their flaws too - like Satanic/Demonic conspiracies (they don't even know what a Satanist is), a bit too much emphasis on the military (though our current assets are in pretty bad shape, and they direly need updating...), and slightly over-committed to nationalism to the point where they may be blind to government abuses.

I really have to go line by line and every politician I know, but I vote against the Democrats in my area because they have a mafia-like lock-down that's been depressing the local economy for 50 years. The chuckleheads still keep voting them in, for whatever reason... lol

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I think a lot of people call themselves "centrists" because they are comparing themselves to the positions of the politicians. But the politicians in America no longer align with the people on several major issues and innumerable minor ones. That is, the politicians are to the right of the majority of the people. So for instance, a "political centrist" is to the right of a "popular centrist"..

idav

Being
Premium Member

I suppose it's amusing but maybe a bit misleading. That's why I have asked you hints like "don't you follow the left hand path". When your demonizing one side more consistently you can be seen as a sympathizer, especially those constantly defending Trump at every turn. I've had similar experience regarding religion on this forum. I pretty much push atheist arguments while being theist, makes for some amusing conversations sometimes if I am called a straight up atheist.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Happens to me, despite my center-left leanings. It bothers me, because it shows a lack of interest in making even preliminary observations before throwing a judgement.

I have been called a machist as well, for similar "reasons". Sometimes people are craving to use a label out of insecurity, facts and even appearances be darned.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You should see how the political spectrum looks from the other end dude. You all look like flat-earthers denying the very nature of reality from over here and you don't need LSD to get high on this dialectical mind ****. :D

tumblr_nyg46jD67b1qjdb42o1_400.gif
We extremist jerks have the broader perspectives.
Looking at most political arguing, the fighting is never so vicious as when so close to agreement.

Stanyon

WWMRD?

Over the years I've been told I was a lot of things I wasn't, it seems some people actually need a way to simplify things so they can make sense of a very diverse and chaotic world and justify themselves in the process- it seems to stem from fear.

Last edited:

tytlyf

Not Religious
The parties aren't even close to being the same.

Might be true enough, I just find it funny because I feel both parties are equally full of it.

Got an example? The republican party does nothing for the middle class. Only 1 party is in favor of raising wages.

Kuzcotopia

If you can read this, you are as lucky as I am.

On a scale of 1 to 10, how victimized do you feel?

Forget poverty and racial injustice. You're clearly the real victim here.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
If the Democrats are so worried about poverty, why are they so good at causing it? :D
Because Republicans have been running Capitol Hill for nearly all of the last three decades. And most state governments as well. The Democrats can't get a word in edgewise, usually.
Tom

Kapalika

Premium Member
If the Democrats are so worried about poverty, why are they so good at causing it? :D

Because they do the same things as Republicans to cause it.

Corporatism yo

Economically, they are actually not much different. Only real difference is Democrats want to spend it more so on social programs and Republicans want to spend it more on war. Both want to help their donors and do a lot to help the corporations that fund their campaigns and give them high paying lobbying jobs later.

Everyone else be damned Hence both cause poverty.

The reason the democrats seem more sympathetic though is they at least offer a bandaid even if not a solution. I'd take a small fix over no fix and the politicians know that.

It's a vicious cycle. If Sanders had won... he was at least looking for real solutions. Agree or not. At least he's still doing good work. And we got movements within the disaffected democrat voters to change **** and get real solutions.

But I bet the moment any real reform will come the Democrats and Republicans will fold into the pro corporate party they have been for decades.