• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you feel you must go to church to have a connection to god?

Purity

I'll try to clear up my question for you. A lot of people feel that church is a requirement in order to connect with GOD. Like an altar it must be worshipped at.
What does your religion say about that or how do you yourself feel about that? Do you feel you must go to church for worship or can you worship god anywhere? Could you not go to church for a month and feel you have done nothing wrong? As long as you still talked to god, prayed to god?
:) Purity

Malus 12:9

Temporarily Deactive.
Purity said:
or can you worship god anywhere? Could you not go to church for a month and feel you have done nothing wrong? As long as you still talked to god, prayed to god?
Yes to all of the above.

Ok I'll expand a little.

or can you worship god anywhere?
One can worship God in their own home. Some people have a gathering called "rosaries".Certain groups have religious "get togethers" at halls or other's homes. You do not need to go to church, but it is a good thing to be with others that do worship Him. Church is where you go to share love (not in that sense :tsk:) with other worshippers.

Could you not go to church for a month and feel you have done nothing wrong?
Tricky. But, as long as you do not lose your true faith in Him, and/or stop praying to Him, and perhaps performing one of the above mentioned things, you don't HAVE to go to Church.

As long as you still talked to god, prayed to god?

See above.

*The above post is MY opinion only...
dontknow.gif

Melody

Purity said:
What does your religion say about that or how do you yourself feel about that? Do you feel you must go to church for worship or can you worship god anywhere? Could you not go to church for a month and feel you have done nothing wrong? As long as you still talked to god, prayed to god?
I don't belong to a religion so I don't have to worry about it.

No I don't believe I have to go to church to worship. In fact, it sometimes becomes imperative not to go to church when I start feeling as if God has "left the building".

I've gone longer than a month and don't feel I've done wrong.

Many people think worship is on bended knee, head bowed and praying. I believe we worship God in everything we do which means it is imperative to do everything to the best of the abilities God has given us and to treat others with love, respect, and courtesy. I do that every hour of the day....not just on Sunday.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
I've never felt close to any deity, but that's more because I feel it/they/he/she is an impersonal deity. Church never did anything other than cause boredom for me.

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
Maize said:
I feel closer to whatever it is you want to call "god" standing out in the middle of a forest, surrounded by nature, than I do in a building. Me that's just me...
:) I can too . However , I also can feel close to God standing on the corner of a city street , floating upon an ocean , or standing in a desert . I have yet to find a truely " godless " place . But that could just be me ???

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
The Divine is everywhere. So no, you don't have to go to church, or anyother specific place, to have a connection with the Divine.

I feel much more spiritually connected alone, or with a small group of people than i ever have or will in a church setting.

robtex

Veteran Member
My UU church is pretty secular. They talk about inspiration people more than God. I think one of the minsters believes in a Christian God the other I don't know. UU, from my experiences is really good at making me feel connected with the other UU members in the room. I knew who they are what they do, what their hobbies and interests are and they know mine. The belief isn't important but they are. . In there irregardless if others feel God or not we do feel connect to one another. For the record I have never ever felt a higher power while in any church. Because of that the UU feeling of mankind for mankind and is a connection that is so much more real than any non-evidencable God that is spoken about. It is real to me. I can see them hear them, speak to them listen to them and connect with them.

Lycan

Preternatural
I agree with Melody.

The best way I can honor my gods is with my everyday actions. Church is great for socializing, but I think it falls short in that people tend to save their honoring/worshipping for Sundays to make up for their indiscretions during the rest of the week.