• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you feel you have a purpose?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
To learn all that I can before I die.
This form we have can do little else.

What we take with us in mind and heart will make all the difference.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
No purpose other than just doing what I can and try to live life the best way possible.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
My #1 purpose at this point in my life is to spoil my grandchildren rotten. ;) I've lived a good life, my "kids" have lived a good life, and now it's time for my grandkids to live a good life. The "good life" to me is for them to be moral and intelligent first, and let the rest hopefully fall into place.

NobodyYouKnow

Misanthropist
To learn to stand firm in my own beliefs...in my own ways and not giving an inch. The moment one starts to 'compromise' is the moment one's beliefs start to fall apart.

I now know why certain people are fundamentalists, because they don't give a rat's hiney what other people think or believe.

I tried to be tolerant, only to have others take advantage of this tolerance, so intolerance has a lot going for it, and if others cannot accept 'who I am' without trying to change me, they are not worth knowing/associating with on any level.

This is my purpose and lesson this time around.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Do you feel you have a purpose?
All the time.
If so - What is it?
Too many to list if I break it down, I suppose.
If not - does it matter?
Depends to whom. Following goals is likely to effect other people around you as well. If a person has a certain gift and they seriously pursuit or master that gift, they can contribute and also pass their talents to others. Personally, without satisfying my sense of purpose, I'm not sure I could live with myself. I may likely become depressed as well... Luckily for me I'm optimistic by nature which is why I think I often cruise towards my goals while other people think I'm crazy because of the icebergs ahead.

Alceste

Vagabond
I don't have a purpose, I have a project: to know my nature and be true it, and to bring the mundane details of my life into harmony with it.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes I think I have a purpose, svadharma - personal duty. I think it's to help others, take care of others and become a better person for it. Why this may be my purpose or duty, I have no idea but I believe it is (whether I like it sometimes or not).

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
I don't really feel like I'm imbued with a sense of purpose. I have various goals, of course, but nothing so fatalistic as purpose.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I find "Purpose" to be a lofty charge generally applicable to people who carry a strong drive to better the world, or destroy it. I'm way too pragmatic and humble to have a Purpose. There are some things I'd like to do or accomplish, but most of the time my goals and desires are pretty simple: good conversation, write some music, eat a good meal, have a drink, hot sex - nothing so serious or weighty as a Purpose.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
In my belief, it's to reach apotheosis and to help others do the the same, leading to the greater enlightenment of humanity. Obviously, this isn't something that will be accomplished in one lifetime.

KidatHeart

I think that trying to define goals or objectives (or the like) that one has as something fundamental to one's identity can be limiting. Life itself is the purpose.

At the same time, though, it becomes a question of the relationship you have with god. Are the prophets closer to God than others because they had a "purpose"?

nilsz

bzzt
If so - What is it?
If not - does it matter?

Having suffered depression throughout large parts of my childhood, I tended towards nihilist thought. A mild comfort, in that as life seemed inevitably horrid, I could think to myself that nothing truly mattered.

As I am recovering, and start to appreciate the beautiful in life, I now think it is important to have some sort of purpose, even if it isn't particularly well-defined.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Having suffered depression throughout large parts of my childhood, I tended towards nihilist thought. A mild comfort, in that as life seemed inevitably horrid, I could think to myself that nothing truly mattered.

Same. I have nihilistic tendencies and severe depression. Although I'm not quite sure if my nihilism is purely rooted in my depression or an existential issue. But I am an existentialist and influenced by individualist anarchism, so it all seems to fit.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
If so - What is it?
If not - does it matter?

An objective purpose? Maybe, depending on whether purpose implies agency. If so, nope (the term ("objective intention" doesn't even make sense). If not, sure: my purpose is to become who I am.

And of course if my purpose is subjective, it's just an opinion, man.