• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you feel tense

ametist

Do you feel tense when somebody tells something about your religion and you dont like what they say? The thing they say can range from a mild critique to an insult, lets say.How would you feel all along?

Is there any rule in your religion which tells how to respond or not respond or act in such situations?

If there is, is there a specific indication that you personally is implied for the needed act/response in that verse or rule of your religion? :D

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
The commonplace feelings of disgust that most people have at times when they hear something they believe to be false might be no more than an accident of how human brains are wired. A few years ago, Sam Harris did some MRI studies that found an area of the brain associated with recognizing statements as false is closely linked to an area of the brain associated with feelings of disgust.

InChrist

Free4ever
Do you feel tense when somebody tells something about your religion and you dont like what they say? The thing they say can range from a mild critique to an insult, lets say.How would you feel all along?

Is there any rule in your religion which tells how to respond or not respond or act in such situations?

If there is, is there a specific indication that you personally is implied for the needed act/response in that verse or rule of your religion? :D

I don't feel tense when someone says something I don't like and if someone does the message of the Bible is to respond with love.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member

I'm open to constructive criticism because it helps me to grow, and if I don't like what they're saying I take that as an occasion to look at why it bothers me. Maybe there's something to it. But for the most part, if they say something that's just a blatant error, a misrepresentation, a false statement, I will correct them up to the point they show they really aren't interested in understanding but just wish to criticize for their own reasons. Then I just ignore them and let them do their processing.

This is the ideal for me, and for the most part I do this. Of course there are days when I use it as an excuse to be combative, but this too then is a reason to look at what's going on with me and to grow from it. This isn't something a religion teaches me to do. It's just part of my path.

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member

I'll usually only get tense in the face of ignorance, falsehoods, straw men, etc. How I respond would be giving proper knowledge on the topic.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Do you feel tense when somebody tells something about your religion and you don't like what they say? The thing they say can range from a mild critique to an insult, lets say.How would you feel all along?

I just don't like misconceptions about my faith. Or those who don't follow my faith who tell me how I should follow it or how I follow it "wrong".
Critiques of religion don't really work, if you ask me, but people can have them.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I'm at annoyed at people who choose to repeat lies about my religion without bothering to actually educate themselves about it when such information is freely and readily available.

I will try to educate them at first but if it isn't getting anywhere, I just ignore them.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I do feel discouraged at times.

Perhaps tense once in a while if I allow it to bug me. My general reaction to insult or critique is it's recognition as being really a mirror, essentially reflecting back my own image on the matter as I react in face of it.

Im not aware of any real rule to follow specifically, but in addressing matters, I use prescribed techniques that have been taught to me by allowing every nuance to be first acknowledged, and then after doing so, allow things to go naturally on it's own accord, allowing time to settle and dissipate it's karma. It helps greatly in realising that there is actually nothing substantial involved in face of insults and critiques, and dealing with it becomes less of a problem should I find it to be one in the first place.

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
Annoyed perhaps, but never really tense. I usually chuck it up to ignorance or purposely trying to be a pot stirrer. After a while, you get really good at ignoring those who really like the sound of their own voice.