• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you feel guilty for your carnal desires?

texan1

Thank you ever so for the accusation of dishonesty. Do you have any reason for it?

Sorry Storm - this was said with a smile and was not directed at you or anyone else....just trying to make the point that it is common to have desires that go against what we believe is right....I could have worded it differently

frg001

Complex bunch of atoms
Anyway, my point is that you should not feel guilty for your carnal thoughts. Anyone who says they never have thoughts like that probably isn't telling the truth. I agree with those who say you should only feel guilty when you act on them.

Reminds me of a psuedo statistic I heard..."95% of men masterbate, the other 5% are liars" :)

Troublemane

Carnality is just nature's way of getting us to procreate. Its nothing personal, and it means nothing, whether you act on it or not. I think the sex drive could be analogized as a battery:...the more you store it up the more energy is in it, then when its released it is all the more powerful. So, no matter how long its been since the last time you had sex, the next person you have it with will seem alot more special. But then thats the point of chastity, is by prolonging something you make it special.

Like gold. If they gave it away, it would be worthless. :angel2:

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
Not sure whether to put this in religious debates as it tends to be the devout among us who answer yes to this question, but I'll post here anyway.

As a person with a partner, whether married or not, do you feel guilty when you have mental desires for other people other than your partner?

Do you think this is a sin? Do you feel the need to repent, or feel dirty?

Personally I see it as an entirely natural thing, and as long as you don't act on it, nothing to be ashamed of, or worry about.
Thoughts?

Personally, I don't. I too believe attraction and desire for someone, outside of your relationship is natural. It would only be sinful if I chose to act upon those desires. And the fact that I have such desires makes me no less faithful to my spouse.

Heneni

Miss Independent
Carnality is just nature's way of getting us to procreate. Its nothing personal, and it means nothing, whether you act on it or not. I think the sex drive could be analogized as a battery:...the more you store it up the more energy is in it, then when its released it is all the more powerful. So, no matter how long its been since the last time you had sex, the next person you have it with will seem alot more special. But then thats the point of chastity, is by prolonging something you make it special.

Like gold. If they gave it away, it would be worthless. :angel2:

So true.

Darkwater

*DW veers car off of the road looking at hot babes Dawny & Heneni*

To thine own self be true.

Deep down I know that one woman in my life is big enough trouble for anyone.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
Im with Storm on this one.I dont have what I would call "carnal' desire for anyone else.I will say I've "fallen" in love with another persons mind and heart though.And I admire physical beauty from a distance.Oh and I love to flirt.And I don't feel guilty about that.If I ever do its only because I went to far with it.

Well I lied..One time fairly recently I was at my mothers..And the UPS man came to the door.I didnt know him from Adam.And for a split second I felt like I was going to faint.And for a few minutes after I had to fan myself and catch my breath.Then he went away..And that was that.

I cant even remember now exactly what he looked like.(except he had dark hair and he was wearing the UPS shorts and he had a beautiful face and smile)I just remember the "jolt" of lightening.I remember the feeling.If thats "carnal" desire then Im guilty.But I don't feel guilty about it.I couldnt help it.I didnt do it on purpose.

Love

Dallas

texan1

Im with Storm on this one.I dont have what I would call "carnal' desire for anyone else.I will say I've "fallen" in love with another persons mind and heart though.And I admire physical beauty from a distance.Oh and I love to flirt.And I don't feel guilty about that.If I ever do its only because I went to far with it.

Well I lied..One time fairly recently I was at my mothers..And the UPS man came to the door.I didnt know him from Adam.And for a split second I felt like I was going to faint.And for a few minutes after I had to fan myself and catch my breath.Then he went away..And that was that.

I cant even remember now exactly what he looked like.(except he had dark hair and he was wearing the UPS shorts and he had a beautiful face and smile)I just remember the "jolt" of lightening.I remember the feeling.If thats "carnal" desire then Im guilty.But I don't feel guilty about it.I couldnt help it.I didnt do it on purpose.

Love

Dallas

Ok I guess I'm kind of with you there - I don't often have "carnal" desires - carnal is a strong word, but I do have daydreams every once in a while....I don't feel guilty for that. I just feel HUMAN. :)

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
As a person with a partner, whether married or not, do you feel guilty when you have mental desires for other people other than your partner?

Yes, I firmly believe thoughts should be crimes. If we think the wrong things, we are just as guilty as if we committed the action we thought about. That's why I am in favor of immediately jailing the 73% of the American population that at one time or another has thought of strangling George W. Bush. Only when we rigorously pursue and prosecute thought crimes will justice be restored to our country. People who have lusted in their heart for another person other than their spouse are adulterers, plain and simple. I believe they should be hunted down with vicious blood hounds and imprisoned in waterless caves! But I could be wrong about that.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Deep down I know that one woman in my life is big enough trouble for anyone.

Some people would need to repress, pervert and stifle their natural inclinations in order to only love one person in their lives, though. I don't think that's the optimal course of action for them.

Last edited: