• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you fear "God"?

huajiro

All my life, I have been taught to fear "God" ( I come from a mainly Christian background), and i have never been able to fear him/her. I was lead to believe that I would be punished for this, but I have a hard time believing that he/she would want this. I believe that he/she would want us to respect/love/honor him/her.

Do you agree?

SoulTYPE

I do not fear God. What is there about God to fear?

*Hurls this topic into the religious debates section*

robtex

Veteran Member
God is an incredible motivator. He motivates people to kill for him pillage for him tortore for him..give up reason, their families their lively hoods.....He makes ambitious men powerful, weaker people destroy themselves mentally and he shapes nations. There is a lot to fear about God.

fromthe heart

huajiro said:
All my life, I have been taught to fear "God" ( I come from a mainly Christian background), and i have never been able to fear him/her. I was lead to believe that I would be punished for this, but I have a hard time believing that he/she would want this. I believe that he/she would want us to respect/love/honor him/her.

Do you agree?
Hi..huajiro...I know what you are saying. It does seem that we are to fear God but like many misconceptions it's not intended to be as fear as we know the word fear to be. It should state to respect God's authority with childlike faith. I believe it's similar to how a person would interact with their parent that they hold in a high regard of respect. You fear the consequences of your behavior...misbehave and get punished...but...good parents punish with love in their intent and so does God. Fear God? no...but you might be careful of the punishment of certian behaviors....that could be the fear this had in mind?:)

Hope your back is doing better.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
my faiths concept of Creator is not fearful, he does not exist to punish people. (though he has punished the odd individual from time to time)
There is no 'hell' and no 'judgement day' in my faith, we are taught to be thankfull for everything and to try to walk in a good way. Fear is not the motivator, what you fear you .

wa:do

cardero

Citizen Mod
I cannot fear GOD and LOVE him/her at the same time. It is emotionally/rationally impossible.

robtex

Veteran Member
jewscout said:
i don't fear HaShem...:162:
What about Ywah or Allah who have sent many men to kill Jews throughout the centuries..do you fear these Gods or the men who believe in these Gods?

huajiro

fromthe heart said:
Hi..huajiro...I know what you are saying. It does seem that we are to fear God but like many misconceptions it's not intended to be as fear as we know the word fear to be. It should state to respect God's authority with childlike faith. I believe it's similar to how a person would interact with their parent that they hold in a high regard of respect. You fear the consequences of your behavior...misbehave and get punished...but...good parents punish with love in their intent and so does God. Fear God? no...but you might be careful of the punishment of certian behaviors....that could be the fear this had in mind?:)

Hope your back is doing better.
Thanks for the response....my back is doing a little better btw....I do think I will need surgery though.

huajiro

painted wolf said:
my faiths concept of Creator is not fearful, he does not exist to punish people. (though he has punished the odd individual from time to time)
There is no 'hell' and no 'judgement day' in my faith, we are taught to be thankfull for everything and to try to walk in a good way. Fear is not the motivator, what you fear you .

wa:do
Sounds like a great religion

huajiro

retrorich said:
Why is this thread in Off-Topic Discussions?
I have tendency to put everything in off-topic....as I do not have a religion. I am not asking a question pertaining to any specific religion, so I ask it here.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
robtex said:
What about Ywah or Allah who have sent many men to kill Jews throughout the centuries..do you fear these Gods or the men who believe in these Gods?
ywah (and i'm assuming that you mean the term christians use to pronounce The Name of G-d, Y-H-V-H) is HaShem and Allah is supposed to be the Arabic from of His name. It's all the same G-d. G-d has His reasons and tho we may not understand why things happen and become angry at Him in our ignorance...we should try to step back and look at it, as best we can, through the eyes of heaven...you know...get the big picture.

Now Christians and Muslims have it in their heads to be converting everyone they meet and more often than not, they kill people, especially Jews in the process. Do i want to die...hell no i want to live...but i hope that if i'm to be killed for my faith that i do it on my feet being true to what i believe. And if my ticket runs out in that setting...well hey that's just how it goes...death is just a matter of when, why, where and how...and death is not something i fear.

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
huajiro said:
I have tendency to put everything in off-topic....as I do not have a religion. I am not asking a question pertaining to any specific religion, so I ask it here.
No problem. I wasn't criticizing you. I was just curious. :)