• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you fear for this world?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
There's a psychological appeal to apocalyptic narratives, which are related to the sorts of stories the OP is talking about. After "the end" there is release and salvation; we don't have to deal with our problems anymore. This is not the way things work in reality, but the apocalyptic "end times" narratives endure. I've never been a fan of them, probably because of the environment I was raised in.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Back to the OP.

I worry at several levels:

- the threat of atomic bombs hasn't gone away
- Oligarchies are stealthily taking over and that strikes me as likely leading to a VERY dystopian future. Very Orwellian.
- Spaceship earth - the environment we depend on - is being seriously compromised.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Many people are comfortable being worried and anxious, and think it's the world causing it, instead of themselves. These people have a hard time separating their own psychological projections from reality.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Many people are comfortable being worried and anxious, and think it's the world causing it, instead of themselves. These people have a hard time separating their own psychological projections from reality.

I'm not sure you were addressing me but just in case:

We all have biases, even Daniel Kahneman - arguably the world's leading authority on biases - admits he has to battle his biases. But the best we can do is be as aware as we can be and muddle on. We all project, again, all we can do is be aware and trudge forward.

kaat

Storm Animal
I couldn't disagree more about so called declining morals. This is the best time to be alive, and it will only get better in terms of social change. Governments were and are corrupt. But that can change if the electorate is informed enough and wants to make a change.

This is my biggest fear as well. Climate change is definitely going to affect all of us adversely. Earth itself is going to be fine, it us and all living creatures who will be in trouble.

Well, that's another 5 billion years away, so I'm not too concerned about that.

I guess people ARE becoming more fatalistic and hedonistic. But that is a product of more information available everywhere, especially the internet. Things started to go wrong a long time before we were aware of it in such numbers. But that is cause for celebration too. A more informed people can change things for the better.

Enjoyed your reply much. Just curious - why is there a dating service in your sinature?

FlyingTeaPot

Irrational Rationalist. Educated Fool.
Enjoyed your reply much.
Why, thank you.
Just curious - why is there a dating service in your sinature?
I'm the founder. It's an online video speed dating platform. I believe people make more meaningful connections face-to-face rather than swiping pictures of each other.
Also, I'm working on Android and iOS apps for it, so hopefully more people can join.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
That's an understatement.

I think a lot of people thrive on this stuff anyways. Gives them something to talk about.

kaat

Storm Animal
There's a psychological appeal to apocalyptic narratives, which are related to the sorts of stories the OP is talking about. After "the end" there is release and salvation; we don't have to deal with our problems anymore. This is not the way things work in reality, but the apocalyptic "end times" narratives endure. I've never been a fan of them, probably because of the environment I was raised in.

Hmm, this is sobering o_O

I'll admit to having a "gut" feeling around the end of 2012; a feeling that something large was threatening. It's laughable that I cannot recall what it was or why. Presumably .. nothing .. happened. Just being deliberately spooky woo woo.

kaat

Storm Animal
Why, thank you.

I'm the founder. It's an online video speed dating platform. I believe people make more meaningful connections face-to-face rather than swiping pictures of each other.
Also, I'm working on Android and iOS apps for it, so hopefully more people can join.

That's pretty neat - speed dating without the sometimes formidable anxiety of personal presence. Is that sort of the idea? Obviously it saves a heck of a lot of time too. And, let's you make your own 'schedule'. Cool.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
A few years ago, if the topic was raised, there was faint recognition that "the Earth might be in trouble". These days, most are immediately agreeing that a big change is coming, and they'll say things like: "Oh, hell, yes - it's going down", or "We're screwed". When I ask such things, I don't lead them with my thoughts - so they bring to the topic whatever their current fears are.

What do you think?
From a Baha’i perspective, the reason we see all these changes in the world is because the old world order is crumbling and a new world order is being raised in its stead... The foundation for the Kingdom of God on earth as it is in heaven is presently being built....

“This is the Day in which God’s most excellent favors have been poured out upon men, the Day in which His most mighty grace hath been infused into all created things......

Soon will the present-day order be rolled up, and a new one spread out in its stead. Verily, thy Lord speaketh the truth, and is the Knower of things unseen.”
Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, pp. 6-7

This is the greatest era in the history of the human race. It is an exciting time to be living in.

“God’s purpose is none other than to usher in, in ways He alone can bring about, and the full significance of which He alone can fathom, the Great, the Golden Age of a long-divided, a long-afflicted humanity. Its present state, indeed even its immediate future, is dark, distressingly dark. Its distant future, however, is radiant, gloriously radiant—so radiant that no eye can visualize it......”
The Promised Day is Come, p. 116

FlyingTeaPot

Irrational Rationalist. Educated Fool.
That's pretty neat - speed dating without the sometimes formidable anxiety of personal presence. Is that sort of the idea? Obviously it saves a heck of a lot of time too. And, let's you make your own 'schedule'. Cool.
We were going for speed dating without the expense of going to a restaurant and paying exorbitant cover charges and the comfort of meeting people face to face in you own home/safe space. But I guess it has the added advantage of dissipating some of the anxiety people usually have in a social setting like that. Add to that the privacy that this option affords you from judgmental/nosy people around you. And as you said, it does save a heck of a lot of time for busy professionals who usually only get to meet people via work/family/friends. We host a number of events every weekend, and so it helps you find the right time which works for you.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Hmm, this is sobering o_O

I'll admit to having a "gut" feeling around the end of 2012; a feeling that something large was threatening. It's laughable that I cannot recall what it was or why. Presumably .. nothing .. happened. Just being deliberately spooky woo woo.
2012? I first became concerned back in the '50s.

kaat

Storm Animal

Aha, here's a different angle - nice. I'm going to start a thread on Biocentrism soon. Please participate; there's much food for thought.

kaat

Storm Animal
2012? I first became concerned back in the '50s.

Was there a specific event that started your concern? Thinking back to 2012, I remember some .. people .. were predicting the end of the world ... 12/23/2012 I think it was. You know, however easily these thoughts may be dismissed, it still could happen. Like, if one those grand conspiracy theories turns out true, then say, the Illuminati decides it's time to "reset" the planet ...?

Last edited:

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
I'm winging it here; wasn't sure where to put it; not sure if it's a debate as such ...

I ask this question, because it's my observation that most of my acquaintances seem to have had a realization on the subject in just the last few years. For the sake of argument, consider these acquaintances to be ordinary everyday people, and generally not determined "seekers", and in my case, generally not religious.

A few years ago, if the topic was raised, there was faint recognition that "the Earth might be in trouble". These days, most are immediately agreeing that a big change is coming, and they'll say things like: "Oh, hell, yes - it's going down", or "We're screwed". When I ask such things, I don't lead them with my thoughts - so they bring to the topic whatever their current fears are.

So what am I getting at, and what might their fears be? Well there's a lot to consider, I think.

It seems the acquaintances mostly talk about "declining morals", "what a crazy world it is now, in which anything goes", and how so many seem so corrupt - especially governments. Some will reference natural disasters, war, meteorites, climate change, and even the sun eventually swelling until it swallows us.

So I detect a new fatalism in their thoughts - that things are going badly wrong, and that it's beyond repair.

I won't even bother with my thoughts yet, because I think this might be a rich topic.

What do you think?
According to a Facebook test, I fear mice. Seriously though, I think fear of falling is a very common fear.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Was there a specific event that started your concern? Thinking back to 2012, I remember some .. people .. were predicting the end of the world ... 12/23/2012 I think it was. You know, however easily these thoughts may be dismissed, it still could happen. Like, if one those grand conspiracy theories turns out true, then say, the Illuminati decides it's time to "reset" the planet ...?
No specific event. Just an awareness of man's spread, the decreasing range maps in the animal books my mom got me, &c. I remember telling my elementary school councilor that Earth used to be a garden, but that people were ruining it.
I think she recommended I get professional help.