• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you fear for this world?

kaat

Storm Animal
I'm winging it here; wasn't sure where to put it; not sure if it's a debate as such ...

I ask this question, because it's my observation that most of my acquaintances seem to have had a realization on the subject in just the last few years. For the sake of argument, consider these acquaintances to be ordinary everyday people, and generally not determined "seekers", and in my case, generally not religious.

A few years ago, if the topic was raised, there was faint recognition that "the Earth might be in trouble". These days, most are immediately agreeing that a big change is coming, and they'll say things like: "Oh, hell, yes - it's going down", or "We're screwed". When I ask such things, I don't lead them with my thoughts - so they bring to the topic whatever their current fears are.

So what am I getting at, and what might their fears be? Well there's a lot to consider, I think.

It seems the acquaintances mostly talk about "declining morals", "what a crazy world it is now, in which anything goes", and how so many seem so corrupt - especially governments. Some will reference natural disasters, war, meteorites, climate change, and even the sun eventually swelling until it swallows us.

So I detect a new fatalism in their thoughts - that things are going badly wrong, and that it's beyond repair.

I won't even bother with my thoughts yet, because I think this might be a rich topic.

What do you think?

David1967

Premium Member
I dont think it's anything new. Older generation has always seen (in their view) a decline in morals in the younger generation. As far as war? I wasn't born when the Cuban missile crisis happened, but I remember growing up in the eighties the general consensus was that nuclear war was inevitable.

FlyingTeaPot

Irrational Rationalist. Educated Fool.
It seems the acquaintances mostly talk about "declining morals", "what a crazy world it is now, in which anything goes", and how so many seem so corrupt - especially governments.
I couldn't disagree more about so called declining morals. This is the best time to be alive, and it will only get better in terms of social change. Governments were and are corrupt. But that can change if the electorate is informed enough and wants to make a change.
Some will reference natural disasters, war, meteorites, climate change,
This is my biggest fear as well. Climate change is definitely going to affect all of us adversely. Earth itself is going to be fine, it us and all living creatures who will be in trouble.
and even the sun eventually swelling until it swallows us.
Well, that's another 5 billion years away, so I'm not too concerned about that.

So I detect a new fatalism in their thoughts - that things are going badly wrong, and that it's beyond repair.

I won't even bother with my thoughts yet, because I think this might be a rich topic.

What do you think?
I guess people ARE becoming more fatalistic and hedonistic. But that is a product of more information available everywhere, especially the internet. Things started to go wrong a long time before we were aware of it in such numbers. But that is cause for celebration too. A more informed people can change things for the better.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
People have always complained about declining morals and social unrest. Conservative people like things familiar and predictable. Novelty, whatever the form, is unsettling.

Today, though, our emotional outbursts are capable of doing irreparable damage.

But my greatest fear is the current mass extinction event brought on by the climate change wrought by our unsupportable numbers.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I'm winging it here; wasn't sure where to put it; not sure if it's a debate as such ...

I ask this question, because it's my observation that most of my acquaintances seem to have had a realization on the subject in just the last few years. For the sake of argument, consider these acquaintances to be ordinary everyday people, and generally not determined "seekers", and in my case, generally not religious.

A few years ago, if the topic was raised, there was faint recognition that "the Earth might be in trouble". These days, most are immediately agreeing that a big change is coming, and they'll say things like: "Oh, hell, yes - it's going down", or "We're screwed". When I ask such things, I don't lead them with my thoughts - so they bring to the topic whatever their current fears are.

So what am I getting at, and what might their fears be? Well there's a lot to consider, I think.

It seems the acquaintances mostly talk about "declining morals", "what a crazy world it is now, in which anything goes", and how so many seem so corrupt - especially governments. Some will reference natural disasters, war, meteorites, climate change, and even the sun eventually swelling until it swallows us.

What do you think?
Someday, but not now.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

What do you think?
Consequence of getting older? Do your acquaintance belong to an age group?

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member

What do you think?

I recall fears for a nuclear war between USA and Russia in the mid 80s. I don't think anxiety about the world situation is necessarily any greater now than it was back then.

David1967

Premium Member
I recall fears for a nuclear war between USA and Russia in the mid 80s. I don't think anxiety about the world situation is necessarily any greater now than it was back then.

I remember it being more so in the mid eighties. Remember the movie 'The day after'?

Rye_P

Deo Juvante
Social morality is much influenced by culture and socioeconomic conditions. As these change, so will vary the moral perceptions of the group. They are transforming into something that more suitable for the group.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
I remember it being more so in the mid eighties. Remember the movie 'The day after'?

Yeah, I remember. Some of us dropped out of our studies as we couldn't see the point. We thought a nuclear war to be inevitable.

kaat

Storm Animal
Replying to various:

- I agree with the comments about "declining morals". But I also think that when enough people feel this way, it gives them more license to "sin", "since everyone's doing it". I reckon such a thing could have real momentum, and be a catalyst for ... something.

- Actually, my acquaintances are aged like 20 to 70. Hmm, this may still be relevant though - it's the younger ones that sound the surest about all this.

- I forgot a response I also get: "If you were <Christian, whatever> you'd know that God is taking care of things with <cleansing, the tribulations, etc.>".

Quick summary of my thoughts: As a Buddhist, it's definitely "Don't Worry, Be Happy". As a pleb - I often WANT it to happen (yikes), and my fear is that whoever is fixated on it might make it happen (it being an apocalypse).

Jumi

Yeah, I remember. Some of us dropped out of our studies as we couldn't see the point. We thought a nuclear war to be inevitable.
That's why these fear mongers and people who think dropping out of the material world for some religious or political goal are evil. They've made us lose much over the years and made things worse.

kaat

Storm Animal
Coupla thoughts that are releveant ...

- I recently heard an anthropologist say that every generation believes it is living in extraordinary times. And he meant every generation.

- Didn't the Jehovah's Witnesses necessarily revise their own "end of times date" at least twice, I think?

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
That's why these fear mongers and people who think dropping out of the material world for some religious or political goal are evil. They've made us lose much over the years and made things worse.

I visited a city called Hiroshima, Japan not too long ago. It was totally destroyed by one of two nuclear bombs dropped by the USA at the end of WWII. I'm sure most of us know that history.

I wouldn't take the threat of another nuclear bomb being used in warfare too lightly, especially when when we consider the quality of some of the so called leaders we have in the world at present.

I was deeply affected by the possibility of nuclear war in the 1980s and still am. I have simply learnt to cope a little better.

Jeremiah Ames

What do you think?

No worries.

somehow I think we shouldn't see the world with such a pessimistic views. Okay true many governments are screwed up, there's a lot of violence, and we have this fear of a nuclear war. To be honest anything could really happen. And yet the world has been like this nearly since humanity existed. Therefore we must not fear so much, on the other hand, it could be better that, as mentally evolved humans, we did something about what's affecting the earth and its citizens. For example reduce global warming..