• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do You Fast for Spiritual Purposes?

Nous

Premium Member
It seems fasting is a tried and true practice in almost all religions.

Do you sometimes fast for spiritual purposes? Have you ever done so? If not, why not? If so, what were your experiences? How often have you done so, and for how long?

(If there is anything to debate here, I suppose you can. I only put the post here because there didn’t seem to be a better place.)

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
When I was Eastern Orthodox and Hindu (not at the same time :p) I did fasts. In Heathenry, however, there is no reason to fast. Heathenry is not a spiritual religion. We're defined and validated by our deeds. Being hungry and thirsty don't contribute to being a better Heathen, though moderation does.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I see no reason to fast unless one wishes to drop the odd pound. I see no spiritual aspect to fasting - whatsoever...

allfoak

Alchemist
Fasting seems like an irrational thing to do which is exactly the reason one would want to do it.
It breaks down the rational in order to better experience and use the intuitive faculty, which is what one uses to communicate with soul and spirit.

A quick edit:
this does not mean that i advocate doing irrational things.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
No, I don't fast for religious or spiritual reasons. I don't understand it.

Sees

Dragonslayer
When I was Eastern Orthodox and Hindu (not at the same time :p) I did fasts. In Heathenry, however, there is no reason to fast. Heathenry is not a spiritual religion. We're defined and validated by our deeds. Being hungry and thirsty don't contribute to being a better Heathen, though moderation does.

I would say it's still spiritual - not by way of submissiveness and asceticism lots of popular religions dabble or submerge in, but does in a different way - a better way IMO. All related to health, wholeness, and strength.

Self becomes awesome-ized rather than shamed, abused, let go, forgotten, or given to/merged with a God. Feasting over fasting...FTW. :D

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
not by way of submissiveness and asceticism lots of popular religions dabble or submerge in

Yes, exactly. There's an element of spirituality because everything has an element of divinity. But it's not spirituality as in seeking enlightenment or growing closer to the gods.

Kirran

Premium Member
Yes, I have done so regularly before. Typically I would refrain from eating on Sunday evening, and then also not eat breakfast or lunch on Monday, breaking my fast Monday evening.

Let's not get carried away with all this 'mortification of the flesh' stuff, it's hardly that extreme. Sometimes it's been a bit difficult in that it's made me a bit tired and a bit slower, and sometimes it's been good in that it's made me feel a lot clearer and calmer, which is then helpful in feeling a sense of love and devotion for God, both conceived as a form or formless and in His/Her manifestation as the world and its inhabitants.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Do you sometimes fast for spiritual purposes? Have you ever done so? If not, why not? If so, what were your experiences? How often have you done so, and for how long?

(If there is anything to debate here, I suppose you can. I only put the post here because there didn’t seem to be a better place.)

I actually dont fast. I find that taking food from my diet defeats the purpose the Earth giving me food to nourish myself. If anything, my "fasting" is more taking nom-organic foods. from my diet and replacing healtheir foods instead.

As for how we traditionally think of fasting? I understand why but its not my reason for doing so.

Thief

Rogue Theologian

so...the Carpenter went into the wilderness to be tempted....40days....
apparently a remembrance of Moses on the mount...
40days no food OR water....

I do find that a stretch to my belief in Prophets.

but the practice and intent is obvious....
reduce your physical strength to find what thoughts work in your head.
when we are physically stressed we revert to what we really are.

I fast when I am poor and didn't budget for food properly. I tell people all kinds of reasons for my fasting, but the main reason I do it is because I have bad budgeting and rationing skills.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I fast when I am poor and didn't budget for food properly. I tell people all kinds of reasons for my fasting, but the main reason I do it is because I have bad budgeting and rationing skills.
well...it's suppose to be intentional...not coincidental.

still...taking advantage of the situation isn't foolish

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate
I see no reason to fast unless one wishes to drop the odd pound. I see no spiritual aspect to fasting - whatsoever...

You don't think it would make you appreciate the 'fruits' of creation a little more, to abstain from what we take for granted, for just a little while?

DawudTalut

Peace be upon you.

Peace be on you.
In Islam there is a month for Fasting called Ramadan [ Ramazan / Ramadhan].
Sometimes Holy Prophet (pbuh) of Islam kept extra Fasts in other times too.
Recently Ahmadiyya Muslim Khalifah asked his Community to keep optional fast for special prayers to help getting special Divine help:
"Hazrat Khalifatul Masih also advised to fast a few years ago. Which some in the Jama'at still practice! At least forty fasts should be kept, on a once a week basis. Prayers should also be made and optional Salat offered and sadqa (alms) given. In places Jama'at is going through a lot of persecution. If we supplicate to God, just as a baby's crying generates mother's milk, help and succour of God will come down from the heavens for us, as it has done in the past."
Ref:http://www.alislam.org/friday-sermon/2016-02-12.html

There are many Ahmadiyya-Muslims who, by the grace of Allah, are keeping this one extra Fast per week.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
You don't think it would make you appreciate the 'fruits' of creation a little more, to abstain from what we take for granted, for just a little while?
Shouldn't folks be appreciating things to begin with? I guess this might be helpful for the dullards, but there is nothing inherently spiritual in the practice.