• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you expect to reach enlightenment in this life?

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Whether it is moksha or nirvana, do you believe it will be this life when you reach it? If not, do you think it's possible you'll lose the progress you've made in this life or do you think you'll only progress more towards enlightenment with each passing life?

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Whether it is moksha or nirvana, do you believe it will be this life when you reach it? If not, do you think it's possible you'll lose the progress you've made in this life or do you think you'll only progress more towards enlightenment with each passing life?

I don't know. I don't know where I'll be tomorrow, let alone at the end of my life...

It says (roughly, I'm not quoting exactly here) in the Gita that all spiritual efforts made in one life will still hold for any following lives. This is where my feelings lay.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Sai Baba placed the bar quite high on enlightenment and what's needed, so I don't expect anything. I just do the best I can, and leave the rest to Sai Baba

Anyway, I can't worry about "after this life", because Atma incarnates, and God veiled the past when we were (are) born, so "I" won't remember, so nothing to identify with, hence no use to have sleepless nights about it in this life time

Also, if Atma incarnates, then when you are enlightened, meaning "know you are Atman" then alas...Atma incarnates again

What a joke, don't you think?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
That dang thing is ahead of me already?

stvdv

If not, do you think it's possible you'll lose the progress you've made in this life or do you think you'll only progress more towards enlightenment with each passing life?
Sai Baba answered that clearly...but not many believe Sai Baba on RF, so I leave it at that

Personally I don't know about those things, just heard it from Sai Baba

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac

Interesting thread!

I have just been reading a little on this subject.

Spiritual enlightenment is not meant to be figured out, put into a neat bullet point list, divided into 7-actionable-steps, checked off your to-do list, hung up as a badge of honor on your wall, and hey presto, you’re done!

If you’re seeking to know what spiritual enlightenment is, how to achieve it, or what it feels like, you’ve come to the wrong article.

But if you’re wanting an incisive, cut-to-the-bone, potentially paradigm-shifting examination of this topic, you’ve come to the right place.

For the full article - click below -

The Dark Side of Spiritual Enlightenment

MUCH more at that site.

All the best!

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Sai Baba answered that clearly...but not many believe Sai Baba on RF, so I leave it at that

Personally I don't know about those things, just heard it from Sai Baba

I'd like to hear what Sai Baba says on the subject. :)

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I am already enlightened, have attained nirvana, moksha, jnana. There are no passing lives. You only live once.

stvdv

I'd like to hear what Sai Baba says on the subject. :)
Okay then.

The last few years (10 or so), Sai Baba delivered a lingam (formed inside His body, coming out through His mouth) during or after the Akhanda (continuous) Bhajan on Shivaratri celelebration in 'His' Ashram

About Shivaratri Sai Baba said "if you concentrate strongly on this holy night, meaning 12 hours ZERO thoughts, then you will be instantly enlightened (not easy though, 12h ZERO thoughts, I tried it many times). So no more reincarnations

And He announced "all who witness this lingam appear are freed from all their accumulated karma". That seemed to be an easy way out, easier than 12 hours ZERO thoughts

In an interview He told an American, i think, woman "now you have seen this lingam, you are freed of all your karma, meaning you're not going to be reborn again, no more reincarnation for you

Then, maybe 2 or 3 years later, this woman got another interview in which Sai Baba casually said to her "see you in your next incarnation"...to which she responded...but Swami, you promised me last time "no more reincarnations, as I saw the lingam", how can you say this now to me?

Sai Baba replied "that was then, now is now"

Sai Baba can be very concise and with few words, but it was very clear to me when I heard her story...karma accumulates very fast;)

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
For the full article - click below -
One does not need books and articles. I can put it in one simple sentence - Leave ALL your prejudices, and then see.
The prejudices inhibit you from attaining enment.
The last few years (10 or so), Sai Baba delivered a lingam (formed inside His body, coming out through His mouth) during or after the Akhanda (continuous) Bhajan on Shivaratri celelebration in 'His' Ashram.
Why did he swallow the lingam? It is reported that he had problems with lingams. You reported him as saying, "Seeing lingam absolves one of sins".

Last edited:

ajay0

Whether it is moksha or nirvana, do you believe it will be this life when you reach it?

Progress is proportional to efforts , and present efforts determine the belief whether one achieves enlightenment in this life or not.

If not, do you think it's possible you'll lose the progress you've made in this life or do you think you'll only progress more towards enlightenment with each passing life?

Enlightened masters state that efforts to attain enlightenment is very important in this life itself, due to the uncertainty of life. One may get engrossed in intense desires in the form of cravings/aversions in a future life, due to bad company, and thereby get more into bondage and karma.

When one gains understanding of the complex maze of karma and enlightenment, it is vital to strive for enlightenment, as this understanding is rarely attained and needs a certain mass of maturity and wisdom which is difficult to attain, especially in the present Kali Yuga where tamas is at its peak and deluded ideas of falsehood reign supreme.

Sri Sri Ravi Shankar states in this regard...

“We should not exit from this world without finding out who we are and where we have come from. This is very important.”

“This Truth has to be realized here and now, in this lifetime. Do not postpone it until the next lifetime. If you do not know it this lifetime, it is the greatest loss. There cannot be any greater loss than this. This is the greatest loss imaginable.”

When you are in touch with the Inner Being then irrespective of the outer state, you remain in a perpetual state of happiness! ~ Sri Sri Ravi Shankar

Last edited:

The Sum of Awe

I am already enlightened, have attained nirvana, moksha, jnana. There are no passing lives. You only live once.
Interesting. If this is the only life we have, shouldn't the ultimate purpose simply be to enjoy the experience to the fullest - and do we need to reach moksha to do that?

The Sum of Awe

Progress is proportional to efforts , and present efforts determine the belief whether one achieves enlightenment in this life or not.

Enlightened masters state that efforts to attain enlightenment is very important in this life itself, due to the uncertainty of life. One may get engrossed in intense desires in the form of cravings/aversions in a future life, due to bad company, and thereby get more into bondage and karma.

When one gains understanding of the complex maze of karma and enlightenment, it is vital to strive for enlightenment, as this understanding is rarely attained and needs a certain mass of maturity and wisdom which is difficult to attain, especially in the present Kali Yuga where tamas is at its peak and deluded ideas of falsehood reign supreme.

Sri Sri Ravi Shankar states in this regard...
This worries me a bit because I could put much more focus on spiritual enlightenment but I choose to develop that at my own pace. All I can do is the best I can, I guess, and have faith that all of the wisdom that I've gained in this life has been for a reason.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Interesting. If this is the only life we have, shouldn't the ultimate purpose simply be to enjoy the experience to the fullest - and do we need to reach moksha to do that?
In my belief 'Advaita' (non-duality), there is no need for Moksha. We are none other than what constitutes all other things in the universe. And we live only once, no rebirth, re-incarnation, resurrection. So, you already have moksha, nirvana, don't require any other.
No problem in enjoying life to the full, we should just take care that we fulfill our duties and engage in righteous action. This is a requirement of the society. Not doing this disturbs the society, thereby possibly reducing our own enjoyment and that of others.

ajay0

This worries me a bit because I could put much more focus on spiritual enlightenment but I choose to develop that at my own pace. All I can do is the best I can, I guess, and have faith that all of the wisdom that I've gained in this life has been for a reason.

If you work harder in your profession, you will have better chances of getting more money or a bonus. It is the same with spirituality.

Success is speedy for the extremely energetic. ~ Patanjali

But if you wish to go at your own pace as per realistic understanding of your capacities, I would say that is a wise choice as well.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
In my belief 'Advaita' (non-duality), there is no need for Moksha. We are none other than what constitutes all other things in the universe. And we live only once, no rebirth, re-incarnation, resurrection. So, you already have moksha, nirvana, don't require any other.
No problem in enjoying life to the full, we should just take care that we fulfill our duties and engage in righteous action. This is a requirement of the society. Not doing this disturbs the society, thereby possibly reducing our own enjoyment and that of others.
The sum of all parts. Nothing to obtain , nothing to lose.

All that chasing for enlightenment. ...

Buddha's little joke.