• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you expect the President to tell the truth tonight?

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Tonight (January 8th, 2019) the President is going to address the nation.

The question is fairly simple. Do you expect him to tell the truth? I am not talking about minor errors of detail, but do you expect the address to be overall truthful?

I expect many people will tell me this is a stupid question, because Trump always lies. But the is the President of the United States making a major address about an important policy area. Not a three year old lying about taking a cookie. We can’t just laugh it off.

I also expect a lot of people to justify it by claiming all politicians lie. But we have never been in a situation like this where the majority of people fully expect the President to completely lie about a major policy. You can’t pretend this is normal.

I expect very few people will even try to make a credible case that we can expect to hear the truth.

dianaiad

Actually, Trumps biggest problem is that he does 'tell the truth,' and nobody likes it.
He's got a very big mouth and he says precisely what he thinks. I'm not sure he has a filter between his brain and his twitter account. So..nobody likes it. Not the Dems, not the Republicans. He's really a lousy politician.

I'm still trying to decide whether that's a bad thing or not.

Stanyon

WWMRD?
Yes, he will tell the truth as accurately as he can. Of course there will most likely will be some misspeaking that will be pounced upon by talking head news media and late night cheap shot artists in lieu of real reporting and entertainment that has some merit. I expect very critical and merciless review of anything he says even to the point of misrepresentation and quite possibly "soft" lies. We have seen over and over that his enemies seem to miss the forest from the trees when he is caught misstating something, it seems that there are many people that are more concerned about him being precisely, factually, and semantically correct than about being morally correct.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Everybody should expect the President to lie tonight

The question is fairly simple. Do you expect him to tell the truth? I am not talking about minor errors of detail, but do you expect the address to be overall truthful?

I expect many people will tell me this is a stupid question, because Trump always lies. But the is the President of the United States making a major address about an important policy area. Not a three year old lying about taking a cookie. We can’t just laugh it off.

I also expect a lot of people to justify it by claiming all politicians lie. But we have never been in a situation like this where the majority of people fully expect the President to completely lie about a major policy. You can’t pretend this is normal.

I expect very few people will even try to make a credible case that we can expect to hear the truth.

Why would he change now?

PureX

Veteran Member
It's very difficult to tell the truth when you don't know the truth, don't want to know the truth, and don't care if what you're saying is true or not so long as it makes you look good to yourself, and feel good about yourself. Truth was long ago sacrificed to ego in Donald Trump. And our idiotic system, based on greed and willful ignorance as it is, has rewarded him for it.

Audie

Veteran Member

Why would he change now?

Do let us know if there is a word of "truth" from any
of those rotten people in DC who use the nation's capital,
your money, the constitution and America's future
as, their f****ng gaming-field!!

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Actually, Trumps biggest problem is that he does 'tell the truth,' and nobody likes it.
This is simply not true.
To take one example:
Almost immediately after getting access to classified materials, he tweeted "Obama wiretapped my campaign headquarters. It was dirty politics." (I am paraphrasing)
The truth was that Trump hired an international criminal to lead his campaign. Paul Manafort was under investigation before Trump hired him, and the investigation continued. Obama probably knew about it, but he didn't wiretap anything. The FBI simply continued an ongoing investigation.

Trump doesn't "tell it like it is". Trump regularly lies in very self serving ways, as opposed to the normal lies top officials have to tell.

I believe that is because neither he nor his policies will actually stand up to much objective scrutiny. YMMV
Tom

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
He's never told the truth and I don't expect him to start now. I have no interest in listening to or reading his latest batch of lies. There is even a new category of lies created just because of how he repeats proven false statements endlessly (Bottomless Pinocchio).

There's been nothing but a stream of lies about the "wall" so why would he tell the truth now. It's inconceivable to me that he will.

Audie

Veteran Member

HIllary
The PolitiFact scorecard
trump
The PolitiFact scorecard
obama

The PolitiFact scorecard

Audie

Veteran Member
There's been nothing but a stream of lies about the "wall" so why would he tell the truth now. It's inconceivable to me that he will.

This in bold is of course not true, but, could you
give a few examples of lies about the wall?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I'm more interested in the Dem response that will immediately follow his talk.
Yeah me too. It'll be all emotional diatribes and trying to character assassinate Trump. Another words, business as usual because that's all they know how to do. Don't expect anything practical or logical to come from it because the Democrats in Washington don't have that capacity to work out the actual issues.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member

I expect a long, drawn-out, incomprehensible ramble. Unless he keeps to script.

As to whether he'll speak the truth, well . . . accidents happen.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Yeah me too. It'll be all emotional diatribes and trying to character assassinate Trump. Another words, business as usual because that's all they know how to do. Don't expect anything practical or logical to come from it because the Democrats in Washington don't have that capacity to work out the actual issues.
Trump assassinates his own character every time he opens his mouth.