• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you do volunteer work?

Rex

Founder
If so for whom and what do you do?

And if you don't why not?

I just signed up for united way and hope to start soon, I figure it's time to start giving back.

pegan

I volunteer with a local animal shelter. I get to clean up, care for, socialize the animals with humans and other animals, and educate the public.

It's the best job here, paid or no. :party:

~*Pegan*~

Master Vigil

I teach martial arts for my master and grandmaster 4 days a week for free. I also teach (those who want) about Taoism, Zen, and Muk Nyum Do (meditation.)

Ardhanariswar

I'm back!
weeee i do! but i dont wanna brag about it... *feels humble*

i cant seem to get along with animals. i guess its one of those inborn things.

Yerda

Veteran Member
I was a voluntary worker for Cancer Research UK. This meant doing very little besides drinking tea.

Hey, this raises an interesting ethical question: is it better to give/volunteer and not tell people about it? Or should you tell people about it in hopes of encouraging others to give/volunteer? This would be a great new topic!

Ardhanariswar

I'm back!
wow, i never thought about it that way. ive always been discrete in whatever i did.

hmm, perhaps i can inspire someone! woohoot! surly God wouldnt think its bragging.

Runt

I dance, act, and sing with a non-profit dance group called Gaelic Thunder Irish Music and Dance. We do a lot of volunteer work-- charity concerts (all proceeds to charity), student days at the Renaissance Festival (teaching school kids about Irish art, culture, and history), and school tours (usually elementary and middle school, though a few times we have gone to high schools as well). It is a lot of fun. I have also volunteered for campaigns in the past (such as the Mahoney for Governor campaign a couple years ago) and done stuff with NHS and church.

I think it is good to do volunteer work and tell about it. This shows other people (especially youth) that it is "normal" and perhaps even "cool" to do volunteer work. It also gives people an idea of the broad spectrum of different kinds of community service they can do--I know I for one am involved in a different sort of volunteer work, but I think the work is just as valuable as more "service oriented" (working at homeless shelters, etc) volunteer work. People need arts and culture in their life! ESPECIALLY in America, where the average person has so little knowledge of the cultural influences of their own country!

I see your point that we should talk about it, Runt, but after years of firmly beleiving Jesus' teaching that we should not make our good works known to others, it's difficult for me to accept this.

By the way--CONGRATULATIONS ON BREAKING 1,000 FRUBALS!!! :clap: :clap: :goodjob: :goodjob: :party: :party:

Runt

I see your point that we should talk about it, Runt, but after years of firmly beleiving Jesus' teaching that we should not make our good works known to others, it's difficult for me to accept this.

*gasps* YOU adhere to a Christian doctrine!?!?

On one hand I do agree with that teaching though... if we are only making our good works known to others out of pride, to show others what great people we are, then perhaps it is better that we say nothing.

Oh, and lmao, thanks for the congrats. Um... what exactly are frubals?