• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you do as jesus said or as he did

Humanistheart

A response I made on another thread got me wondering. For those of you who believe in jesus as a savior and/or god, I'm curious, what do you put more emphases on? Doing as jesus said or as he did? There are many portions of the NT in which jesus would contradict himself. Loving ones enemy was stressed by him, but the bible shows him cursing at his enemies, insulting them with childish names and the like. Sounds more like a hissy fit than love to me. And there are numeroous other examples.

So as followers of jesus, how did you decide how to act? Do you follow his word or his actions?

Ba'al

Most Chistians actions refect the teachings of Paul, not Jesus. Jesus was a Jew. He taught jewish tradition and followed the law.

footprints

A response I made on another thread got me wondering. For those of you who believe in jesus as a savior and/or god, I'm curious, what do you put more emphases on? Doing as jesus said or as he did? There are many portions of the NT in which jesus would contradict himself. Loving ones enemy was stressed by him, but the bible shows him cursing at his enemies, insulting them with childish names and the like. Sounds more like a hissy fit than love to me. And there are numeroous other examples.

So as followers of jesus, how did you decide how to act? Do you follow his word or his actions?

Even though I am not a Christian, I am in a way a follower of Jesus, in the same way as I am a follower of all other enlightened people, the Dalai Lama, Buddha, Krishna et al.

Even though I can understand your perception of a this or that scenario, it isn't complete. By following his words you also follow his actions which in accord makes the transition complete just as it did with Jesus. This is to show and say, hey it is okay to make mistakes, but make sure you know it was a mistake and never repeat the same mistake again, always strive to be something better than you were the day before. (Better in this scenario, means more loving, more peaceful, more tolerant of others. Not everybody sees better as being more loving, more peaceful and more tolerant of others).

Man of Faith

I put more emphasis on doing what Jesus taught, loveing my enemies and doing good and praying for them. Of course I try not to have any enemies in the first place. I try to treat all people equally the same way and good and show them respect. I work at things as if I am doing them for God. I don't try to do what Jesus did because I can't. That's like asking me to do what God does.

However what Jesus tells me and what he did does overlap at times. For example Jesus fed people and told us to help those that need it.. Jesus wept and tells us to have emphathy with others. Jesus told others how to get saved and told us to do that.

rusra02

Premium Member

Where in the Bible does Jesus curse at his enemies? What are these 'numerous other examples' you cite? You haven't provided a single example for your assertions.

Charity

Let's go racing boys !
I put more emphasis on doing what Jesus taught, loveing my enemies and doing good and praying for them. Of course I try not to have any enemies in the first place. I try to treat all people equally the same way and good and show them respect. I work at things as if I am doing them for God. I don't try to do what Jesus did because I can't. That's like asking me to do what God does.

However what Jesus tells me and what he did does overlap at times. For example Jesus fed people and told us to help those that need it.. Jesus wept and tells us to have emphathy with others. Jesus told others how to get saved and told us to do that.

Jesus was a teacher, He told us the right way to pray, he gave us many examples to follow and most of all loved us and gave His life that we could have eternal life. I believe that once you really know and feel this experience in your heart that you want to tell others and lead them to Christ.
The problem is many Christians don't realize that they lead others to Christ by their example, not by strong arm and Bible thumping tactics.

Charity

Let's go racing boys !

If you follow his words then your actions will ultimately reflect the words. When the Bible speaks of cursing his enemies, It isn't in the sense that we would hear cursing today, there was no use of childish names, He simply called them what they were...Hissy fit? sounds like you need to go back and read then explain better why you make these claims.......

Last edited:

Humanistheart

If you follow his words then your actions will ultimately reflect the words. When the Bible speaks of cursing his enemies, It isn't in the sense that we would hear cursing today, there was no use of childish names, He simply called them what they were...Hissy fit? sounds like you need to go back and read then explain better why you make these claims.......

I'm sorry for assuming christians would be familiar with their own NT. Here:

Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for you are like white-washed tombs, which outwardly appear beautiful, but within they are full of dead men"s bones and all uncleanness (Matthew 23:27).

Woe unto you! for you are like graves which are not seen, and men walk over them without knowing it (Luke 11:44).

Woe to you! for you build the tombs of the prophets whom your fathers killed. So you are witnesses and consent to the deeds of your fathers; for they killed them, and you build their tombs (Luke 11:47-48).

Jesus is criticized by the Pharisees for not washing his hands before eating. He defends himself by attacking them for not killing disobedient children according to the commandment: “He that curseth father or mother, let him die the death.” Matthew 15:4-7

14And if any one will not receive you or listen to your words, shake off the dust from your feet as you leave that house or town.
15Truly, I say to you, it shall be more tolerable on the day of judgment for the land of Sodom and Gomorrah than for that town. (Matt. 10:14-15)

Called them what they were? So if you think your right about someone's character feel free to insult them. Great moral message. Anyway, feel free to point out how jesus showed love toward his enemies in any of those passages.

no-body

I always thought Jesus berating people for washing their hands to be really gross... yeah I know He was talking about a Jewish washing ritual, but still, eww.

Charity

Let's go racing boys !
Jesus prayed with his face to the ground, like Muslims. Christians don't do this.

When I said he taught us the right way to pray....I'm speaking of how to prioritize your prayer, not the position of your body...The position of your heart and it's intent is the key to prayer....

Apparently you haven't been in different churches have you? Your not speaking for all Christians when you say they don't lay face down....
Prayer is not a ritual, it is a sincere petition between the person praying and God. God is not deaf He can hear the person standing in the middle of a cornfield just the same as one laying face on the floor or kneeling at an altar.....

Ba'al

When I said he taught us the right way to pray....I'm speaking of how to prioritize your prayer, not the position of your body...The position of your heart and it's intent is the key to prayer....

I understand that and believe it as well, but when you say "If you follow his words then your actions will ultimately reflect the words", do you really follow his words? Jesus said to act like a Jew. Most Christians follow the words of Paul, and yes there's a big difference.