• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do You Disagree?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Do you agree with everything your religion teaches or tells you, or do you disagree with certain teachings, tenets, or dogma?

If the latter, how does it make you feel to disagree with certain aspects of your religion?

Are there any consequences to these disagreements on a personal level? On a cosmic level?

Would there be consequences if those disagreements were to be made public among others of your religion?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Hindus have various views on things. Not considered bad in Hinduism. We have many philosophies and sects.
I do not accept some views in Hinduism but accept some others in it.
Basically, no duality of God but the non-duality of Brahman. Both thoughts are perfectly Hindu.
I do not accept many things, God, soul, creation, birth, death, heaven, hell, reincarnation, etc.
No consequences on personal level, though my family is theist.
Hoho, my views will not have cosmic consequences, I am just a bubble in ocean.
Yeah, others will disagree, as they do in this forum. But let them. I have arrived at my views after much thought.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I asked this question here and all religious here on RF who answered said they were comfortable with everything in their faith. They question for reflection but as to disagreement, I wonder if that devalues their faith if something's they disagree with but don't need to doubt in order to keep their conviction stable. Others mistake disagreement for doubt. So that's another reason. Weird. I'd assume spirituality would have room for all sorts of opinions. Keeps conviction open or good awareness rather than limited to ones own truth.

Secret Chief

Stiff Member
Apparently the last words of the Buddha were "Be a lamp unto yourself. Work out your liberation with diligence." And a Zen Master whose name I helpfully can't remember said "That fool from India was only halfway there."
I'm not sure what this goes to show but I thought I'd put it out there. One accepts what one can see as true. This is then expressed in our life.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I guess anyone is free to disagree with certain aspects of their religion.
:)

I do disagree with many aspects of Catholicism.
Priests' celibacy, to begin with.
I suspect our God is a cruel God, if he calls handsome, beautiful smart men like this to priesthood.:p

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Do you agree with everything your religion teaches or tells you, or do you disagree with certain teachings, tenets, or dogma?
Two Jews; three opinions.

If the latter, how does it make you feel to disagree with certain aspects of your religion?
Irreligious.

Are there any consequences to these disagreements on a personal level? On a cosmic level?
Sometimes I feel torn. Sometimes I feel bitter about feeling torn.

Would there be consequences if those disagreements were to be made public among others of your religion?
There is enormous leeway within the Jewish Reform movement, and there are some Orthodox Jews who would view me as intensely objectionable.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

Having alternate POVs in a vast religion like ours is just natural. Within my small and distinct sampradaya, I know of no disagreements offhand.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

If I did agree with everything, I'd have a problem. ;O]

There's a fair amount of disagreement with my religion of choice, its normal and expected.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Being a practitioner of a non-dogmatic/non-creedal religion makes this question... weird? People are expected to have a living religion that is relevant to who they are. If your practice doesn't reflect who you are, you're doing it wrong. I'd argue this is the case for religion more broadly, as religion is inherently personal even within creedal, dogmatic, and orthodoxic traditions. It's gotta be relevant to the now and life's path or else what's the point?

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Being a practitioner of a non-dogmatic/non-creedal religion makes this question... weird? People are expected to have a living religion that is relevant to who they are. If your practice doesn't reflect who you are, you're doing it wrong. I'd argue this is the case for religion more broadly, as religion is inherently personal even within creedal, dogmatic, and orthodoxic traditions. It's gotta be relevant to the now and life's path or else what's the point?
I couldn't have said it better myself.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Keeps conviction open or good awareness rather than limited to ones own truth.
As I said, I have arrived at my conclusions after much thought, considering hundreds of things over a period of 50 years. To what should I keep my views open? To untruth? I have no problem when others have different views.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
My views are mine to conclude. I find it rather freeing to be able to disagree with my faith. I believe self reflection, disagreement and challenging the traditions makes my faith stronger. I try to explore various philosophies (though I’m sure they fly straight over my head.)
As far as consequences go, I dunno I might end up in some heated debate with family or friends. But we will break bread and drink together regardless. Because such disagreements are trivial. Mere intellectual exercises or excuses to argue.
In social gatherings in Temple I observe tradition because that’s just the polite thing to do. Same if I were to attend Church or a Synagogue.
Disagreement is strength, imo

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
For me the Truth is beyond language so it's not a big deal for me. But for me it's not about the words but what people do and say justifying themselves on the basis of the words. And people being people, interpretation can easily slide into self-justification and rationalization.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
As I said, I have arrived at my conclusions after much thought, considering hundreds of things over a period of 50 years. To what should I keep my views open? To untruth? I have no problem when others have different views.

It's not personally addressing good/bad anyone and of any faith. It's just an observation when one says "I don't disagree with anything of my faith" it really miss the point of how one grows in it-not to agree with all of it, but use both to get to the point of what the faith promotes.

You personally? The only thing I can think of just from RF is looking at how tolerant you are with other religions. But relating it my comment? I don't know. I don't know your religion to know how open you are to disagreements. Different religious perspectives, yes. But I don't know if there are some things you disagree with. Hence the OP.

PearlSeeker

New Do you agree with everything your religion teaches or tells you, or do you disagree with certain teachings, tenets, or dogma?

The latter.

When I realized some things might not be so certain it felt like loosing a solid ground.

Are there any consequences to these disagreements on

Personal practice is a little different... I don't rely on full authority of our sacred writings... I don't see our religion as superior and our teacher not as God/Creator or only mediator... I can appreciate/consider more things in other traditions/schools...

Maybe eyes popped with astonishment. Outrage at worst. I certainly wouldn't be burned as a heretic.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member

I disagreed with so much of what my former church taught and did. Much of which was not biblically based at all and some of which were in direct contradiction to what Jesus taught. They justified their practices and doctrines (too many to list) but something in me just recoiled.

There is no way I could in all conscience, continue to attend. So I went searching for the truth because I knew it had to be out there somewhere. Christendom basically were all the same under different banners, the things I hated were all still in evidence. I tried Eastern religions but balked at the idolatry. I wanted to find God, not just something that appealed to my own sensibilities.

I tried other well known religions who had broken away from Christendom, but couldn't handle their unsubstantiated beliefs or additional "scriptures".

The last place in the world I ever thought I would find the truth was in a religion that was not well spoken of and mostly avoided.....but then I realized that this was exactly what Jesus and his apostles faced.....and what he warned would keep happening until he came back. (John 15:18-21)

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
[QUOTE="Unveiled Artist, post: 6806400, member: 55631]The only thing I can think of just from RF is looking at how tolerant you are with other religions.[/QUOTE]Why should I be tolerant of religions which actively try to spread untruth and superstition in the world? The ones which cannot provide any evidence of what they say.