• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do You Create Your Reality?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
You can share and thereby validate your experience of reality.

If this was the case, you can validate what I had for dinner last night. What did it taste like? Did I like it?

Cooky

Veteran Member
I just read a thread about Friday the 13th and the full moon and it would appear that there were posters that thought our reality might somehow be swayed by the date or event or the combination of the two.

Do you believe in such ideas as the 'Law of Attraction?' Do you have any influence over what happens to you in this life? If you're superstitious, do your assumptions play a role in your reality? Or in mine?

If so, why? If not, why not?

This might sound funny, but I have always thought one of the most amazing things in the world, is the calendar book. There, I can imagine whatever I choose, and then write it in the book... Once it's written, I just follow it... And all my dreams come to life.

I know it seems simple, but there is no better way to take control of your life, as long as you promise yourself to follow the book. Your book.

...I prefer the At-A-Glance book, because you can set weekly, monthly and annual goals. It's a life changer.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cooky

Veteran Member
Usually on the front cover, I'll write down my biggest goals and some personal mottos. From there, the sky is the limit.

Heyo

Veteran Member
If this was the case, you can validate what I had for dinner last night. What did it taste like? Did I like it?
I could theoretically verify what you had for dinner by analysing your excrements because that is part of reality. I might also be able to say what it tasted like (salty, spicy, etc). For the part on deciding if you did like it, I'd need a bit more data from reality, an fMRI scan might do that.
The question is comparable to the question if the police can verify that you drank alcohol. Why, yes, they use a breathalizer or a blood test. And you'll agree that loss of money or your license will feel very real to you.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I could theoretically verify what you had for dinner by analysing your excrements because that is part of reality. I might also be able to say what it tasted like (salty, spicy, etc). For the part on deciding if you did like it, I'd need a bit more data from reality, an fMRI scan might do that.
The question is comparable to the question if the police can verify that you drank alcohol. Why, yes, they use a breathalizer or a blood test. And you'll agree that loss of money or your license will feel very real to you.

You could analyze it and verify it? Is your background in scatology or coprology?

What kind of data would you need to know if I liked it? Why can't you verify it in reality now? Can you verify if I liked it better than what I had for breakfast today? What did I have? I haven't yet excreted it.

My point is, your and my reality are different. The can overlap, sure, and you can accept my reality to be a part of your reality, and I'm confident that you would need to incorporate the reality of another to analyze my excrement.

I what I'm boiling this down to is that experiential evidence is subjective and unverifiable by another. You couldn't verify my experience of jumping out of a plane as much as I couldn't verify your experience of analyzing my excrement. :D

Ponder This

I just read a thread about Friday the 13th and the full moon and it would appear that there were posters that thought our reality might somehow be swayed by the date or event or the combination of the two.

Do you believe in such ideas as the 'Law of Attraction?' Do you have any influence over what happens to you in this life? If you're superstitious, do your assumptions play a role in your reality? Or in mine?

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I have no good reason to, but part of me believes this and has since childhood. It is logically lame. I've also always felt that I was being watched, and I think that is natural for many people. No matter how I try to confirm that I am not being watched, I can never confirm it. I cannot look everywhere nor know everything, and therefore I have to live as though I am not being watched. I have also always believed that I have super powers, but I have never been able to confirm this. It eludes me. It probably means that I wish I had super powers and wish that I was somehow of interest enough to be watched. Wishes can become beliefs very easily, so to undo them probably requires unwishing them. "I wish I were unimportant and subject to my environment" is a hard wish to make.

I think it is a psychological social rule. If you don't have something then it implies that you haven't been trying enough, although there are exceptions. There are times when no matter of trying will work. Its like that pop song "...can't get no satisfaction..." and that other song about "...you can't always get what you want..."

amorphous_constellation

Do you believe in such ideas as the 'Law of Attraction?' Do you have any influence over what happens to you in this life?

Seeing life and the individual as separate components first of all, I see that life is the river / boat - ride, and the individual is the passenger / observer of the river. This observer I see as one who can take action, but the river journey may not have a known or completely controllable destination. The creation of history doesn't seem to be something you throw into park. I think when early humans saw rivers and tried to connect them to spirituality, they likely saw it as something akin to this. They saw it as something they could not stop with their mortal hands, something that had a power of eternal movement. However, they also saw the power they had to improve their situation around such an endless phenomenon. They could attract good fish to eat in it. They needn't be swept down it if they knew how to ford it. It follows that they could attract a good life, but only in the context of an endless flow from who knows not where and to who knows where.

Vee

Premium Member

I'm not superstitious and as far as I can remember the Fridays the 13th I've had so far we very good days. I also love black cats :)

Heyo

Veteran Member
My point is, your and my reality are different.
My point is, your and my representation of reality are different. But there is only one reality.
You keep using the word "reality" for your picture of reality.

meh.ro374.jpg

It's like pointing at a picture of your girlfriend and declaring "this is my girlfriend" - as if you were in love with the picture. The picture is not the reality. It's a picture of reality.
You only have that picture because there is a real person out there you can take that picture from. You didn't create the picture in your mind. If you did, you could never agree with any real person that your girlfriend existed or what her properties are.
You could argue that you might have created all persons that agree with you in your mind but that leads only to solipsism - a position that leads you nowhere.
Either you accept reality or you accept that you are alone in your head and everything you experience is just your imagination.

WalterTrull

Godfella
Fun thread. I believe I have taken all the positions expressed here at one time or another. Currently, just trying to understand "We are the children." Somehow comforting, but at the same time, so enigmatic.

QuestioningMind

Quite a few years back and first day on the job in a psychiatry inpatient ward I asked the nursing team if they had noticed increased admissions during a full moon. They were unanimous in their assessment that there was indeed a much higher rate. The only thing is, its easy to study scientifically. One study examined the data over a 10 year period. There wasn’t a jot of evidence to support any association between rates of admission to psychiatric facilities and the cycle of the moon.

I read a study once that indicated the full moon phenomenon is purely psychological As I recall it studied the crime rates during a full moon. There WAS an increase in crime during a full moon, but ONLY when it wasn't overcast and the moon was visible in the sky. This suggests that people see a full moon and then they give themselves permission to act with less restraint. If they are not aware that there's a full moon in the sky, they don't react in the same manner.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Criminy, that's a lot of words.
By "influence", I mean that we have much control over our lives...more
than most people actually exercise. A friend provides an example....
He often gets into arguments with others, risking escalation to violence
(which sometimes happens). I counsel him about avoiding this.
But he says it's unavoidable. He's committed to it. It's a choice.
And he could choose otherwise.
See, I told you we'd probably agree.

wandering peacefully

Which way to the woods?
Do you believe in such ideas as the 'Law of Attraction?' Do you have any influence over what happens to you in this life?

After all these years I would have to say I definitely believe in some idea of attraction being a state which we can, as individuals, create and control for ourselves.

We create our own reality every moment we live. Every thought , action, and feeling is how we choose it to be. The only difficult thing about it is deciding how you want your being to be.

It can be angry, egotistical, greedy, fearful, peaceful, fair, loving, hateful, kind, vengeful, satisfied, or any combination.

Only our self can choose which reality we will live is how it works imo. And by choosing that, some may create as many attractions and repulsions as they want to.

There are those about who would like all discourse of real importance to end and to just focus on the arguments over whose religion and gods are right and how they are only the right ones in the end. In my mind that is not progressive for anyone or anything.

I would recommend not feeding bots and instead feed each other in meaningful dialog. Otherwise, the bots are able to shut down any place they choose. Why they do it, I can only speculate and therefore will not. But most do not heed the insideous spread because they live for the argument even if it takes down diversity and human discourse with it.

Exploring what we want our own individual reality to be, I believe is the key to controlling our own reality and directing our own lives.

It may be more difficult living this way, but it is also a life much more free, fulfilled and meaningful. You are responsible for you. Good, bad, and the ugly, no one else's doctrine can decide your reality for you.

So yes, use yourself to attract or repell what you wish.

Erebus

There are certainly ways that something like fear of Friday 13th could negatively impact somebody's life. We're all prone to confirmation bias and so if somebody truly believes that a particular day is unlucky, they're much more likely to notice the myriad problems that occur over the course of the average day. In extreme cases (such as when a superstition becomes a full-fledged phobia) people can suffer tremendous stress or even panic attacks. There's also the placebo/nocebo effect at play. Athletes with a lucky charm really do seem to perform better or worse depending on whether they have their charm with them.

To me that's a big component of how a concept like the Law of Attraction could function. As for influencing it ourselves, certain occult groups view magic as being largely or even entirely the conscious manipulation of one's own perceptions. From a pragmatic point of view, if having a lucky talisman positively influences your life then does it really matter if the mechanism behind it is supernatural or psychological?

joe1776

Do you believe in such ideas as the 'Law of Attraction?' ...
If it concerns our health, our expectations can bring about the reality, both good and bad: The placebo and nocebo effects.

But the law of attraction is an illusion. On a car trip, if you ask children to count the white vans they see, after a while, because they will see so many, it will seem like they are attracting white vans but the fact is that those white vans were always there but not noticed.

Similarly, if someone is looking for business opportunities, and they focus their attention on them, it will seem like they are being attracted but they were always there.

Last edited: