• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you consider Jews to worship the same God?

Skywalker

Many Christians believe Muslims worship a different God because, despite being monotheists who believe in the God of Abraham and many other Bibical figures, they deny the divinity of Jesus and the Trinity and the concept of him dying for our sins and ressurecting. But why do those same people believe that Jews worship the same God? My question in this thread is this-do you believe Jews and Christians worship the same God, and if so (for the believe who believe that), why do you believe that Muslims worship a different God? With the exception of Messianics, a relatively small group, who sort of overlap between both Christianity and Judaism, the majority of Jews reject Christian beliefs about God and Jesus too.

Sultan Of Swing

Many Christians believe Muslims worship a different God because, despite being monotheists who believe in the God of Abraham and many other Bibical figures, they deny the divinity of Jesus and the Trinity and the concept of him dying for our sins and ressurecting. But why do those same people believe that Jews worship the same God? My question in this thread is this-do you believe Jews and Christians worship the same God, and if so (for the believe who believe that), why do you believe that Muslims worship a different God? With the exception of Messianics, a relatively small group, who sort of overlap between both Christianity and Judaism, the majority of Jews reject Christian beliefs about God and Jesus too.
I would say Jews are closer because they have the right Scriptures, just incomplete, rather than a complete set of different ones.

Jesus called the Jews who rejected Him "children of the devil", what that means with regards to whether they worship the same God or not, I am not certain.

Thana

Lady
The Jews reject Jesus as their Messiah, yes. But the Christians accept the Torah as God's word and the Jews as God's chosen people.
The Muslims deny Jesus as the Son of God, that He died on the cross and they also deny the Torah as the uncorrupted word of God.

Islam denies both Judaism and Christianity, but built itself from the scraps of both. So technically, You have to call it an Abrahamic religion, But they don't worship Yahweh.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
The Jews reject Jesus as their Messiah, yes. But the Christians accept the Torah as God's word and the Jews as God's chosen people.
The Muslims deny Jesus as the Son of God, that He died on the cross and they also deny the Torah as the uncorrupted word of God.

Islam denies both Judaism and Christianity, but built itself from the scraps of both. So technically, You have to call it an Abrahamic religion, But they don't worship Yahweh.
-Allah simply means ''G-d''. Whatever that means, I assume it's the same deity as xians, theoretically.
-''G-d'', in the Hebraic Scriptures, is called YHVH, it's the same deity. The only time when it isn't considered the same deity, is by people re-reading the Bible from a quasi-''historical'', mythic standpoint. Which is not traditional for Judaism, or xianity.
-Islam and xianity share the prophetic adherence, in accordance to the Tanach, so, theoretically, they not only worship the same deity as Xians, but they are more similar to xianity, in that they recognize Jesus in some capacity.

Thana

Lady
-Allah simply means ''G-d''. Whatever that means, I assume it's the same deity as xians, theoretically.
-''G-d'', in the Hebraic Scriptures, is called YHVH, it's the same deity. The only time when it isn't considered the same deity, is by people re-reading the Bible from a quasi-''historical'', mythic standpoint. Which is not traditional for Judaism, or xianity.
-Islam and xianity share the prophetic adherence, in accordance to the Tanach, so, theoretically, they not only worship the same deity as Xians, but they are more similar to xianity, in that they recognize Jesus in some capacity.

- I know what Allah means. But there are many 'Gods' so just having a God doesn't mean it's the same one.
- YHVH = Yahweh.
- Even some Atheists recognize Jesus in some capacity (ie- that He existed) that doesn't mean Atheism is similar to Christianity.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I'm unsure, really. To be honest, I find that Zoroastrianism is closer to Christianity than both Rabbinic Judaism or Islam, and so I more readily say that Zoroastrians worship the same God. Rabbinic Judaism is descended from the Pharisees and we know what Christ had to say about them. Judaism, at least the more Orthodox sects, are very tribalistic and focused on *this world*. They mostly reject Christ, rather snobbishly, because He didn't live up to their tribal/nationalist expectations, as if God is subject to the expectations of humans. Oops. So I consider modern Judaism to be a sect that's based on the Israelite faith, but not a direct continuation of it. Islam is like an Arab version of Judaism with some Christian concepts thrown in (along with some pre-Islamic Arab pagan elements), some of which were taken from heretical or obscure sources. Their view of God tends to be very different from the Christian view of God. Their concept of God is not a self-sacrificing God of salvation but more of a distant master to be obeyed. At least, that's how Allah is typically presented in my view.

Christianity is really the odd man out out of Judaism, Christianity and Islam. The other two have very incorrect views on God, Christ and salvation, at the very least. Whether it's enough to say they worship different deities, I can't really say. Even within Christianity, I probably would say that some sects are worshiping a different deity than Catholics are. Depends on where you wish to draw the line.

Last edited:

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
- I know what Allah means. But there are many 'Gods' so just having a God doesn't mean it's the same one.
- YHVH = Yahweh.
- Even some Atheists recognize Jesus in some capacity (ie- that He existed) that doesn't mean Atheism is similar to Christianity.
We are constantly reading the title, ''Christian G-d''; so, although you may associate the deity in Judaism with the ''Xian G-d'', it is pretty common not to. Traditional Xianity actually recognizes a Deific Jesus, this is extremely different from Judaism.

Thana

Lady
We are constantly reading the title, ''Christian G-d''; so, although you may associate the deity in Judaism with the ''Xian G-d'', it is pretty common not to. Traditional Xianity actually recognizes a Deific Jesus, this is extremely different from Judaism.

Really? Strange. I rarely see Him referred to as the "Christian God" unless someone's trying to be extremely specific. Usually it's just God or G-d or Jehovah or Yahweh.

Even so, The Trinity doctrine isn't the same thing as a 'Deific Jesus'.
And you don't need to point out the differences, I get it, There is a reason Judaism and Christianity are two different religions. But the topic is supposed to be about whether Allah is Yahweh, So let's not stray.

atpollard

In terms of what the God of Judiaism teaches (like the Ten Commandments) and what Jesus taught (like the Sermon on the Mount) and what the Qu'ran teaches (like the Verse of the Sword - Qu'ran 9:5), I see the God of Jesus and the God of Judiaism as being far more similar to each other and very different from the God of Islam.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
Arabic speaking Jews call God Allah, so I think the idea that Allah is not God is an intellectually bankrupt proposition.

Last edited:

JayJayDee

Avid JW Bible Student
The way I see it, there are only two "gods" in existence who desire our worship. One is the true God, who deserves it and the other is a pretender who is trying to steal it by deception.

The true God is the one who determines what worship is acceptable to him. The pretender will dish up all manner of "look-alikes" and fakes to fool the most discerning worshipper. He gives people what they want and demands very little in return. He uses ritual to make people feel comfortable and to give them a sense of belonging. He provides ego stroking and rewards with little self sacrifice. He makes sure that people can have their cake and eat it too. All he requires is that you worship does not go to the true God.

The God of the Jews was originally the true God, Yahweh. But because of their constant disobedience and breaking of his laws and covenants, after they orchestrated the death of their Messiah, the true God abandoned them. (Matt 23:37-39)
He virtually handed them over to the pretender to carry on with their wayward course. They have no idea that it ever occurred.

Islam is based on the beliefs of Abraham's first son, Ishmael, who was born to an Egyptian hand maiden. So even though these "Abrahamic" faiths had a common origin, they all went in completely different directions.

So who is the true God of the Bible accepting worship from today? Islam? Judaism? Or Christianity? It depends on whose beliefs you accept and follow. Each are convinced that their faith is the correct one...but what does their conduct show?

Muslims accept Jesus as a prophet, but not as the son of God, nor do they believe in his death as a ransom for mankind. There is much bloodshed in its past and present practise.

Jews do not accept that Jesus was the promised Messiah because according to their leaders, Jesus did not fulfill the messianic prophesies. He rejected the teachings of their leaders and castigated them. Jesus did not have a good word to say about the teachings of the Pharisees. So they whipped up a hate campaign against him and his disciples.

Christianity (Christendom) also claims to worship the God of the Bible, but then conducted themselves contrary to all his teachings. They even blasphemed the Father by putting Jesus in equal place with his God.

So how does one make sense of all this and what are the identifying marks of a true believer? In a word....PEACE. it's very simple...only God's true worshippers have genuine peace, in their lives and in their congregations, despite the horrors of living in this world.

It comes as a direct result of God's spirit being operative in their lives and in their work. They do not go to war and they do not spill blood in the name of their God. They love one another as Jesus loved them. They love even their enemies as Jesus taught them to do...conquering evil with good. They are out preaching the good news of God's kingdom, rather than propping up the corrupt rulerships of this world. They are "no part of this world" whom the apostle John said is ruled by the pretender. For this they are hated and persecuted. (John 15:18-21; 1 John 5:19; 2 Cor 4:3, 4)

That kind of narrows down the field in my estimations. The truth is, neither Islam, nor Judaism nor Christendom (which is not to be confused with Christianity) worships the true God....they have been fooled into thinking they do. The one who can "blind the minds" of people has the ability to cut off all reasoning ability when it comes to worship.

Many have even thrown God away because of what religion has done....but the pretender doesn't care if you believe or not.....as long as he has you distracted by the religious confusion he has created as a smoke screen to mask the truth. You are not worshipping the true God...and that is all that matters to him.

Genuine truth seekers need not worry however. No one can come to the son without an invitation from the Father. He will see to it that everyone has an opportunity to hear the truth and if he sees a positive response, he will "draw" that person. (John 6:44; Matt 24:14)

There is one God....but not many have found him. (Matt 7:13, 14, 21-23)

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I have a question. How can historians etc call Muslim, Judaism, and Christianity Abrahamic religions if only Christians (for sake of DIR) believe in the God of Abraham and not the other two?

If a Muslim, Christian, and Jew all believe in thr God of Abraham why deny them of worshiping the same God no matter how false a christian may believe muslims and jews are?

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I have a question. How can historians etc call Muslim, Judaism, and Christianity Abrahamic religions if only Christians (for sake of DIR) believe in the God of Abraham and not the other two?

If a Muslim, Christian, and Jew all believe in thr God of Abraham why deny them of worshiping the same God no matter how false a christian may believe muslims and jews are?
It's a sociological category more than anything else. It's like calling Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism and Sikhism Dharmic religions. It just means they have a common root.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Really? Strange. I rarely see Him referred to as the "Christian God" unless someone's trying to be extremely specific. Usually it's just God or G-d or Jehovah or Yahweh.

Even so, The Trinity doctrine isn't the same thing as a 'Deific Jesus'.
And you don't need to point out the differences, I get it, There is a reason Judaism and Christianity are two different religions. But the topic is supposed to be about whether Allah is Yahweh, So let's not stray.

What is it?

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Because Jesus isn't the Deity, God is. Jesus is God and God is the God. You don't seperate them by calling Jesus a God, Jesus is just God.

Jesus, being God, is ''a G-d''. It's saying the same thing.
Actually, to avoid further confusion, notice I just wrote ''Deific Jesus.'' That means that Jesus is G-d.

Last edited: