• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you consider drinking a "sin"... Christians only

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
I belong to the church of Christ (this is open to all Christian denominations) and have long been uncomfortable with my congregation's views on alcohol.

To me the scriptures are crystal clear: Jesus drank. He made water into wine. The OT demanded a tenth of the wine as a tithe.

So why do some modern day Christians have a huge problem with this? Are there any scriptures that they base their ideology on?

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
I'm cautious about alcohol but I make this decicion on my own due to personal circumstance.

I have never found any biblical reason to steer from alcohol.

My thoughts mirror yours. I don't have much to contribute here...but wanted to let you know...I'm in your corner.

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
NetDoc said:
I belong to the church of Christ (this is open to all Christian denominations) and have long been uncomfortable with my congregation's views on alcohol.

To me the scriptures are crystal clear: Jesus drank. He made water into wine. The OT demanded a tenth of the wine as a tithe.

So why do some modern day Christians have a huge problem with this? Are there any scriptures that they base their ideology on?

I'm totally with you on this. Drunkenness (in my view) is sinful, drinking is not. I don't believe there is any scriptural basis for being tea total at all but rather that it is a hold out from the nineteenth century temperance movement.

James

Adstar

NetDoc said:

Hi Net Doc :)
The bibles makes it clear that getting drunk is a No No. But you are right drinking within moderation is clearly ok.

I know some christians who abstain from drink. and i think there are some people who are predisposed to drinking problems that should totally abstain from drink. But it is not and has never been a stipulation in the bible that we are not to drink alcohol.

But of course if one cannot control their drinking then drink to them is sin.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

No*s

Captain Obvious
NetDoc said:

I would definately concur with you, and further, Jesus' wine wudn't grape juice. (As an aside, I learned a while back that modern grape juice was created by Welch's so that we could have "unfermented sacramental wine :biglaugh:).

I avoid alchohol, not because I consider it evil, but rather, because I don't trust myself not to get drunk. It's a private rule, and my private rules have no authority or force for others.

Scuba Pete

So far, we have no dissenting opinions. I am not sure I have ever seen such agreement among those posting so far. Kinda funny, doncha think? :D

No*s

Captain Obvious
NetDoc said:
So far, we have no dissenting opinions. I am not sure I have ever seen such agreement among those posting so far. Kinda funny, doncha think? :D

Well, "we hold these truths to be self-evident, that all drinks are created equal, that they are endowed by their creators with certain, inalienable properties, that among these are religion, partying, and the persuit of Happiness.--That to secure these pleasures, drinks are passed among men, deriving their just taste from the consent of the drinkers." (from the Declaration of Beverages).

(I'm tired and can't think straight, so don't mind the poor post here...I couldn't help myself).

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
No*s said:
Well, "we hold these truths to be self-evident, that all drinks are created equal, that they are endowed by their creators with certain, inalienable properties, that among these are religion, partying, and the persuit of Happiness.--That to secure these pleasures, drinks are passed among men, deriving their just taste from the consent of the drinkers." (from the Declaration of Beverages).

(I'm tired and can't think straight, so don't mind the poor post here...I couldn't help myself).

I can't frubal you right now but I'm going to make a mental note to do so later. That's awesome!:jam:

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
No*s said:

:wipes a tear: I love ya, man!

"Here we have grain, from which any fool can make bread, but for which God Almighty intended a more divine means of consumption. so let us praise his name and give thanks to him for the gift of beer!" Paraphrased from "Robin Hood, King of Thieves")

Scuba Pete

No*S... maybe you should avoid posting UNTIL you are way too tired to care! :D That was priceless my friend!

w00t

I don't see how drinking can be a sin, Jesus loved his wine so much he made it part of the sacrament, and made sure it didn't run out at the wedding party!

A good quality single malt whisky is one of life's little pleasures imo!:)

A

angellous_evangellous

Tangnefedd said:
I don't see how drinking can be a sin, Jesus loved his wine so much he made it part of the sacrament, and made sure it didn't run outr at the wedding party!

A good quality single malt whisky is one of life's little pleasures imo!:)

Jesus is the guy that everyone wants to see at the party: the one who brings the booze! :dan:

Linus

NetDoc said:
I must agree with the others who said they believe it is a sin to be drunk. Futhermore, I believe it is a sin to not only be runk, but to form an addiction to something (other than Jesus of course :D ), which is something else alcohol is likely to cause.

The purpose of alcohol is to become intoxicated. Why would you drink in the first place if not to do specifically that? Doesn't seem to make sense. It also, doesn't seem to make sense that you would want to tempt yourself with inebriation and addiction.

That's my take on it anyway.

A lot of people in the coC have problems with the social aspect of drinking. There are many other things associated with drinking that are unwholesome and spiritually unhealthy, drugs and sex being the major two.

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
NetDoc said:
I
belong to the church of Christ (this is open to all Christian denominations) and have long been uncomfortable with my congregation's views on alcohol.

That's an open and shut case right there. Big J was down with alcohol. We're supposed to try and follow in his footsteps right? Party Time!
So why do some modern day Christians have a huge problem with this?
Probably for the same reason they make such a big deal about sex.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
No*s said:

Simply Classic!
In complete agreement.

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
Linus said:
...The purpose of alcohol is to become intoxicated. Why would you drink in the first place if not to do specifically that?..

I do understand and have a lot of respect for people who eschew alcohol under the belief that we should avoid temptation.
but I respectfully disagree. Alcohol, adds a special flavor to food and beverage, but as with anything, is best enjoyed in moderation....much like sex:D. IMHO, it's a matter of self-control, or as Benjamin Franklin so eloquently put it, 'Drink not to drunkeness, eat not to dullness'

As James, Jeffrey, and several others have said, drinking itself is not the sin, but getting drunk and losing control of your faculties is.:)

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
CaptainXeroid said:

As James, Jeffrey, and several others have said, drinking itself is not the sin, but getting drunk and losing control of your faculties is.:)

Well said. To add, if one knows himself to always lead toward drunkness with just drinking one beer, which leads into 5-6 then perhaps drinking alcohol is not your thing.