• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you belong to "the [true] Church" (1 Tim 3:15)?, if so, how do you prove it?

coconut theology

coconuts for Jesus

This is the theme for this Thread.

For instance, I personally, would begin with the scriptures (KJB) and attempt to identify the true church from clear descriptions given about it, and see whether that which I belonged to was a match for what was written in biblical description.

Here is how we would do it, video style (entire playlist):

Or alternatively here (the above playlist is also included in this greater indepth playlist) -

As another example, here is how another person went about it -

Library Of Sermons 21 – The Search For The True Church – Pocket Book – Joe Crews – Amazing Facts (PDF)

What are the clear identifying marks of the true church as they are found in scripture?

In Revelation 12:17, we see a clear description of the true church, notice:

Rev 12:17 And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.

[1] the dragon (Satan, etc) is wroth (angry, furious) with her

[2] the dragon (Satan, etc) makes "war" with the "remnant of her seed"

[3] there is a "remnant" left of "her seed"

[4] this "remnant of her seed" is said to "keep the commandments of God"

[5] this "remnant of her seed" is said to "have the testimony of Jesus Christ"​

So, in order to know whether we belong to the true church as just described by this very singular verse (others we shall consider shortly), let us identify from scripture the definition of some of the terms used.

[1] "testimony of Jesus Christ" is identified and defined in the same book of Revelation in chapter 19:

Rev 19:10 And I fell at his feet to worship him. And he said unto me, See thou do it not: I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren that have the testimony of Jesus: worship God: for the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.​

Thus, the "testimony of Jesus [Christ]" is (meaning 'equal to') "the spirit of prophecy", and we may see this in greater detail throughout the scriptures, such as Revelation 1:2,9 and so on. Let's come back to this again in a bit.

[2] "remnant", is seen coming onto the stage of history after certain historical (prophetically foretold) events occured:

Joe 2:28 And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions:
Joe 2:29 And also upon the servants and upon the handmaids in those days will I pour out my spirit.
Joe 2:30 And I will shew wonders in the heavens and in the earth, blood, and fire, and pillars of smoke.
Joe 2:31 The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before the great and the terrible day of the LORD come.
Joe 2:32 And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the LORD shall be delivered: for in mount Zion and in Jerusalem shall be deliverance, as the LORD hath said, and in the remnant whom the LORD shall call.​

So we see this order of events, that was yet future from the time it was foretold.

[1] "The sun shall be turned into darkness"

[2] "and the moon into blood"

both of which would take place "before the great and terrible day of the LORD come"
[3] "the remnant" appears on the scene, being "call[ed]" forth of God.​

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I think it's a lot simpler that all of this convoluted theology. Love. That's the true church. Those that love others. Not those that sit in judgment of other Christians who don't read the Bible in the same ways as those who claim they are in the true faith.

That is not love. That's self-congratulations. Narcissism. The true church is found in the fruits of love that you bear, not your peculiar flavor of narrow fundamentalist theologies. If all you have are verses to show how wrong everyone else is and how right you are, you haven't found the true church at all yet. You're denying it through the judgement of others.

Last edited:

exchemist

Veteran Member

For instance, I personally, would begin with the scriptures (KJB) and attempt to identify the true church from clear descriptions given about it, and see whether that which I belonged to was a match for what was written in biblical description.

Or alternatively here (the above playlist is also included in this greater indepth playlist) -

Library Of Sermons 21 – The Search For The True Church – Pocket Book – Joe Crews – Amazing Facts (PDF)

What are the clear identifying marks of the true church as they are found in scripture?

Rev 12:17 And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.

So, in order to know whether we belong to the true church as just described by this very singular verse (others we shall consider shortly), let us identify from scripture the definition of some of the terms used.

[1] "testimony of Jesus Christ" is identified and defined in the same book of Revelation in chapter 19:

Rev 19:10 And I fell at his feet to worship him. And he said unto me, See thou do it not: I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren that have the testimony of Jesus: worship God: for the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.​

Thus, the "testimony of Jesus [Christ]" is (meaning 'equal to') "the spirit of prophecy", and we may see this in greater detail throughout the scriptures, such as Revelation 1:2,9 and so on. Let's come back to this again in a bit.

[2] "remnant", is seen coming onto the stage of history after certain historical (prophetically foretold) events occured:

Joe 2:28 And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions:
Joe 2:29 And also upon the servants and upon the handmaids in those days will I pour out my spirit.
Joe 2:30 And I will shew wonders in the heavens and in the earth, blood, and fire, and pillars of smoke.
Joe 2:31 The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before the great and the terrible day of the LORD come.
Joe 2:32 And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the LORD shall be delivered: for in mount Zion and in Jerusalem shall be deliverance, as the LORD hath said, and in the remnant whom the LORD shall call.​

So we see this order of events, that was yet future from the time it was foretold.

both of which would take place "before the great and terrible day of the LORD come"
This thread subject encapsulates so much that I detest about certain religious attitudes. It's like the New Testament depiction of the Pharisees (which may be unfair on the actual pharisees I realise).

How Christian is it to spend your time justifying your own membership of some supposedly exclusive club of the righteous?

And how arrogant it is to suppose that your own "true" church has everything right, while everyone else is in darkness.

Jeremiah Ames

Absolutely.
Because I follow the true leader.

coconut theology

coconuts for Jesus
This thread subject encapsulates so much that I detest about certain religious attitudes. It's like the New Testament depiction of the Pharisees (which may be unfair on the actual pharisees I realise).

How Christian is it to spend your time justifying your own membership of some supposedly exclusive club of the righteous?

And how arrogant it is to suppose that your own "true" church has everything right, while everyone else is in darkness.
Simple.

Revelation 12 and the "remnant" - Seventh-day Adventist movement, as noted in OP.

You can view an entire study on Revelation 12 here - Revelation 12 – The Great Controversy (Powerpoint)

Revelation 17 - the Great Whore (Roman Catholicism, of which I used to be a member of; Revelation 18:4) and her harlot daughters (apostate Christianity), as they themselves say in Cardinal Hans Urs Von Balthasar's "Casta Meretrix" theology.

It is why this plaque exists of the "Ecclesiarvm Mater" in Rome:

Roman Catholicism - Lateran Church - Mater Ecclesia.jpg

“It must be always clear that the one, holy, catholic and apostolic universal church is not the sister, but the mother of all the churches.”, “It's evident that it would go against the faith to consider the [Catholic] church as 'one' way of salvation 'alongside' those represented by other religions.” - Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger [later Pope Benedict XVI]; Article “Other churches are no sisters of ours, the Vatican insists”, by Lloyd Rundle, Monday, 4 September 2000; Other churches are no sisters of ours, the Vatican insists - Europe, World - The Independent

“The term Mother Church, however, as applied to Rome, has a special significance as indicating its headship of all churches.” - Filial (meaning daughter) Church, Catholic Encyclopedia; CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: Filial Church

“The expression Church of Rome”, it should be noted, though commonly applied by non-Catholics to the whole Catholic body, can only be used correctly in this secondary sense for the local diocese (or possibly the province) of Rome, mother and mistress of all Churches.” - Latin Church, Catholic Encyclopedia; CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: Latin Church

“...11. Therefore Holy Mother Church, supported by these truths, while again recommending to the faithful the practice of indulgences as something very dear to the Christian people during the course of many centuries and in our days as well--this is proven by experience--does not in any way intend to diminish the value of other means of sanctification and purification, first and foremost among which are the Sacrifice of the Mass and the Sacraments, particularly the Sacrament of Penance. ...” - [Indulgentarium Doctrina; Apostolic Constitution on Indulgences; His Holiness Pope Paul VI; Promulgated on January 1, 1967] CATHOLIC LIBRARY: Indulgentarium Doctrina (1967)

Roman Catholicism at the highest levels acknowledges that it is the church of Revelation 17:

Sinner Church? A Myth That Needs to Be Busted

Rome Admits it is the Great Whore:

Cast Meretrix [Ambrose], castum meretricium, meretrices virgines

Rabanus Maurus - Wikipedia

Hans Urs von Balthasar - Wikipedia

Cardinal Urs von Balthasar defines the Catholic Church as a prostitute - a Casta meretrix @ TraditionInAction.org

Balthasar used the expression Casta Meretrix to argue that the term Whore of Babylon was acceptable in a certain tradition of the Church, in the writings of Rabanus Maurus for instance.[16]

At Balthasar's funeral, Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger (later to become Pope Benedict XVI) said, speaking of Balthasar's work in general, "What the pope intended to express by this mark of distinction [elevation to the cardinalate], and of honor, remains valid, no longer only private individuals but the Church itself, in its official responsibility, tells us that he is right in what he teaches of the faith."[17]

^ Casta Meretrix: The Church as Harlot

Foreward to "Casta Meretrix" by Hans Urs von Balthasar

There are several reasons for making Hans Urs von Balthasar’s work “Casta Meretrix” available on newtorah.org. First and foremost, it gives some important patristic and mediaeval background to the interpretation of Babylon the ‘great prostitute’ (Rev 17-18) presented on this site (especially in: “The Metaphor of Prostitution in the Interpretation of Babylon in Revelation 17-18”; “Revelation 20,1-6: The Millennium and the Mystery of Iniquity”; “The Prostitute: Babylon the Great” and “Babylonian Theology Today”). It is a difficult subject for any Christian to confront, let alone a loyal Catholic. Von Balthasar’s study, however, helps to understand this interpretation within a very long tradition of Catholic interpretation. The second reason is that his work is itself a comprehensive demonstration of the ways in which leading churchman down the centuries have grappled with the past and present sins of the Church’s members, often approaching the prophetic denouncement of Babylon described in the Book of Revelation. Thirdly, the theological tradition formed by these churchmen encourages us, too, to be ever mindful of the constant need for repentance in the Church—a need that finds expression in a recent Papal appeal: "Whilst the second millennium of Christianity is coming to a close, it is right that the Church assumes responsibility for the sins of her children with greater awareness, remembering all those circumstances in which, during the course of history, they have distanced themselves from the Spirit of Christ and from his Gospel, offering to the world—instead of the testimony of a life inspired by the values of the Faith—the spectacle of ways of thinking and acting which were really forms of anti-testimony and of scandal" (Pope John Paul II, 'Tertio Millennio Adveniente', 33). As von Balthasar himself remarks at the beginning of this work: “Without endangering the immaculateness, holiness, and infallibility of the Church, one must look the other reality in the eye and not exclude it from consideration. Much would be gained if Christians learned more and more to realize at what price the holiness of the Church has been purchased.” With such a valuable role to play, it is unfortunate that von Balthasar’s study is so difficult to obtain and we are indebted to the Liturgical Press for granting us permission to reproduce their English translation of his work here. With their permission, then, the following essay is taken from 'Explorations in Theology, Vol II: Spouse of the Word', San Francisco: Ignatius Press, 1991, pp. 193-288.​

I have the entire work, you can read it here - http://www.newtorah.org/Casta Meretrix.html

coconut theology

coconuts for Jesus
I think it's a lot simpler that all of this convoluted theology. Love. That's the true church. Those that love others. Not those that sit in judgment of other Christians who don't read the Bible in the same ways as those who claim they are in the true faith.

That is not love. That's self-congratulations. Narcissism. The true church is found in the fruits of love that you bear, not your peculiar flavor of narrow fundamentalist theologies. If all you have are verses to show how wrong everyone else is and how right you are, you haven't found the true church at all yet. You're denying it through the judgement of others.
The Bible defines "love", and it didn't, and still doesn't, define it according to your statement, which is simply citing "you" as authority, which is no authority to appeal to:

1Jn_5:3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.

2Jn_1:6 And this is love, that we walk after his commandments. This is the commandment, That, as ye have heard from the beginning, ye should walk in it.​

God is "love", and therefore deals directly with "theology", or the study of God.

The One true Church is visible, and in the world, and easily identifiable by its characteristics as listed in scripture, beginning with Revelation 12:

Rev 12:17 And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.​

Here are the "commandments of God":

Exo 20:1 And God spake all these words, saying,

Exo 20:2 I am the LORD thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.
Exo 20:3 Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

Exo 20:4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:
Exo 20:5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;
Exo 20:6 And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.

Exo 20:7 Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.

Exo 20:8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.
Exo 20:9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:
Exo 20:10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:
Exo 20:11 For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

Exo 20:12 Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.

Exo 20:13 Thou shalt not kill.

Exo 20:14 Thou shalt not commit adultery.

Exo 20:15 Thou shalt not steal.

Exo 20:16 Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.

Exo 20:17 Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his a.ss, nor any thing that is thy neighbour's.
It is not a matter of myself declaring that "I" am right. The subject of the OP is not myself, but rather the One True Church as opposed to the myriad of false ones. It is not persons identified, but systems of theology. Christians are in all places, but not all places are the One True Church. There are genuine followers of God even in Islam, etc, but Islam, etc is not the One True Church (but rather, is a false system of theology).

I do not get to decide which is the One True Church. It is not my criteria. The Bible (KJB) itself sets forth the criteria. I am simply listing that criteria, which is easy to see as above.

The whole the One True Church is a nebulous everywhere and nowhere is false theology. The One True Church is entirely Visible, though it has invisible members in other places at the moment, and also at present has invisible false members within its borders. Thus the text:

Rev 18:4 And I heard another voice from heaven, saying, Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues.
Likewise:

1Jn_2:19 They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would no doubt have continued with us: but they went out, that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us.​

There is the One True Church (Revelation 12) and then there is the counterfeit of Revelation 17, and all the false systems of religion with her.

That there is the One True Church, that is visible, is not saying anything arrogant. It is simply saying that which is fact/true according to written scripture. I am merely "amen[ing]" what is already written.

coconut theology

coconuts for Jesus
...And how arrogant it is to suppose that your own "true" church has everything right, while everyone else is in darkness.
Joh_14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Is Muhammad the way?

Is Buddha the way?

Is Confucious the way?

Is evolutionism the way?

Is atheism the way?

etc.

1+1 = 2. It is not arrogance which makes the statement or others like it. It is simply a fact. The Truth. Truth isn't arrogant simply being Truth. To declare that Truth is arrogant being the Truth is itself arrogance and self refuting.

Scripture speaks of "one faith" (Ephesians 4:5), "one fold" (John 10:16) as the Truth. It speaks of those with the "same mind" (1 Corinthians 1:10) or "one mind" (Philippians 2:2), all "speaking the same things". It must be found to "keep the commandments of God" (see Exodus 20:1-17), and "have the testimony of Jesus Christ" (see Revelation 19:10).

Notice, "the" (definite article, not indefinite):

Mat 18:17 And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell it unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican.

Act 2:47 Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.

Col 1:18 And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence.

1Ti_3:15 But if I tarry long, that thou mayest know how thou oughtest to behave thyself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth.
You have confused the system with persons. The OP is speaking of System/Theology. People are in darkness, and need the light of the Truth. There are people within darkness who claim to be within the One True Church, see Laodicea (blind). Many people are walking in false systems according to the light that they have (Revelation 18:4). They are genuine in this. Yet, that does not make those systems that they are in the One True Church. They are true to what they know (even if some of it is error) and are simply in the wrong system, and need to come into the True System.

Jeremiah Ames

WOW.
So very well said.
Finally someone who speaks my ‘religion’.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The Bible defines "love", and it didn't, and still doesn't, define it according to your statement, which is simply citing "you" as authority, which is no authority to appeal to:

1Jn_5:3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.

2Jn_1:6 And this is love, that we walk after his commandments. This is the commandment, That, as ye have heard from the beginning, ye should walk in it.​

God is "love", and therefore deals directly with "theology", or the study of God.
So for you, love is about obedience to rules? That to follow the law to the T, with all your vigor and righteous intentions, is teaching you how to love others? I'm not sure how that actually can work. Generally speaking, if someone is so focused on not making mistakes, then entire focus is about themselves succeeded in a goal for themselves. It does not have others in mind. It has the self and personal gains as the prized goal. This is the ego seeking for self gain. It's not love. It's self-need.

Now, as for the above verses, what are the commandments we are supposed to keep and walk after? To, "love one another as I have loved you." The love of others, fulfils the command of God. All of the commands of God. Jesus very directly taught this. To love God and others as yourself, fulfills the entirely of God's commands.

It's not in what theologies that someone hangs their faith upon that defines them as a Christian. It's in following Jesus's command to love others as yourself. It's in who we are on the inside that matters. Not whether or not we were able to do high kicks on the obedience board ranking system nailed on the back wall of the church, where young Christians aspire to achieve high success in their feats of strict obedience.

Jesus taught that was not the way to love. The church is of the heart. Not theologies. Jesus said this very thing in scripture. "By their fruits you shall know them". These are the fruits of love. And they are listed by Paul in his writings. They are compassion, grace, generosity, kindness, empathy, longsuffering, and so forth. These are caring traits, not compliance requirements in order to achieve a double diamond black belt in righteous believer camp. These are things that cannot be imitated, like "following the rules to a T", is a form of spiritual imitation.

True love comes from within a heart opened to God in surrender. It's not through your efforts to obey to gain your prize.

The One true Church is visible, and in the world, and easily identifiable by its characteristics as listed in scripture, beginning with Revelation 12:

Rev 12:17 And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.​

Here are the "commandments of God":

Exo 20:1 And God spake all these words, saying,

Exo 20:2 I am the LORD thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.
Exo 20:3 Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

Exo 20:4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:
Exo 20:5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;
Exo 20:6 And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.

Exo 20:7 Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.

Exo 20:8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.
Exo 20:9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:
Exo 20:10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:
Exo 20:11 For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

Exo 20:12 Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.

Exo 20:13 Thou shalt not kill.

Exo 20:14 Thou shalt not commit adultery.

Exo 20:15 Thou shalt not steal.

Exo 20:16 Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.

Exo 20:17 Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his a.ss, nor any thing that is thy neighbour's.​

“Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”

Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”​

It is not a matter of myself declaring that "I" am right. The subject of the OP is not myself, but rather the One True Church as opposed to the myriad of false ones. It is not persons identified, but systems of theology.
To you the true church is about systems of theology? Didn't Jesus make the emphasis on the heart, instead of the head and beliefs? Didn't the Apostle Paul say exactly the same thing to Christians who quibble over intepreations of scripture and who is a true Christian or not? Yes, he did actually. You can read the whole chapter of Romans 14 to see this attitude of not putting it upon yourself to judge who are true Christians or not.

Jesus said, again, "By their fruits you shall know them". Not by their theologies. That's not what Jesus taught anyone. Making it about theologies, is avoiding dealing with the heart. Jesus taught this too, "Make clean the inside of the cup first, then the outside will be clean". It has to be about the heart, not "compliance" to rules. Those are about yourself. Not letting love flow through you from God through surrender of yourself.

Christians are in all places, but not all places are the One True Church. There are genuine followers of God even in Islam, etc, but Islam, etc is not the One True Church (but rather, is a false system of theology).
If they are genuine followers of God, then will not God accept that? Didn't Jesus teach that it's those who do the will of God, that are children of God? I don't believe he ever specified they needed to be part of a particular religion. In fact, he very much stated otherwise when he said of the non-Jewish, Pagan Roman centurion, "Never have I seen a greater faith in all Israel!". This is very clearly showing Jesus does not care about your theology. He doesn't care which religion you identify with.

I do not get to decide which is the One True Church. It is not my criteria. The Bible (KJB) itself sets forth the criteria. I am simply listing that criteria, which is easy to see as above.
But isn't this what you are doing in proclaiming that the right theology decides, and that you've got the right theology and therefore can recognize that those who don't believe like you, aren't saved? Isn't this exactly what you are doing? And what does that get you? A sense of security you can rest in, knowing you're not going to be cast away on judgment day? Isn't the focus about yourself?

Shouldn't it be about loving others?