• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you believe we all have souls?

Master Vigil

first off sorry, the "" in my post was meant to say "stresses."

Alaric... we act blindly everyday. Do you know what will happen when you walk out of your door? Will you get hit by a bus, or have a heart attack? This life is blind, and even though science does help us understand the physical world. We still are not omniknowing. Sometimes we must let go of our ego's and let our "do not know" mind take over. However, such as in taoism, we must not do this with trivial things for we do know and can know what makes a plant grow, or what makes us healthy. All I try to understand is the true nature of the Tao and how it does affect the universe. The Tao is that in which we "do not know" or "can not know." The Tao is like an empty bowl, which in being used can never be filled up. And what science can teach us, is contained within the Tao and is part of the Tao. For the Tao created it.

Alaric

How can you try to understand the true nature of the Tao if the Tao is that which we cannot know?
How do you know the Tao cannot be understood?
What makes 'Tao' a useful term?

Master Vigil

The Eternal Tao is that which we cannot know, the natural Tao is everywhere. We can understand the natural Tao, and thus understand that an Eternal Tao exists.

Because I don't understand it.

Words are only useful when you rely on them. The Tao is only useful when you understand that its uses are beyond the "term" Tao.

Alaric

Master Vigil said:
The Eternal Tao is that which we cannot know, the natural Tao is everywhere. We can understand the natural Tao, and thus understand that an Eternal Tao exists.
Okay. You call the things about reality that are completely beyond human comprehension "The Eternal Tao", and nature and the laws of physics "The Natural Tao". What is it about the natural world that tells you that there is a reality that is impossible for us to comprehend? There could well be, but you seem to claim that nature proves it.

Master Vigil said:
Because I don't understand it.
Just because you don't understand it doesn't mean others can't, or that you won't eventually.

Master Vigil said:
Words are only useful when you rely on them. The Tao is only useful when you understand that its uses are beyond the "term" Tao.
How can the meaning of a word have uses beyond the meaning of the word?

rex: we have life, spirit, and a soul. plants only have life. animals only have life and spirit, humans have only life, spirit and soul. God has all three and divinity as well. all other material have existence like everything else.

runt: after we die and if we go to purgatory and then heaven our conciousness will be contained within a ressurected body. we are not divine but will become divine if we go to heaven, and we will never be divine although we will become divine. read the book on becoming divine. i will look the title up when i find it, and get back with u.

what is a soul?. it is ure being, who u are or were and who u will become. it can be cleansed which brings relief, it can be separated or united with the Divine. it can suffer. it is conscious, subconcious, or in a coma. it is u. it can change but not into a new or different one by changing bodies until u die.

entil'zha: only humans(refer to my reply to rex), have souls as well as the Divine. animals have memory and spirit as well as life and existence, but they dont keep records and neither do they know their ancestors. they don't worship the Lord but they do praise him. they must be taught to obey like us humans although they haven't a conscience, knowing what is truly right or wrong. even rocks and trees praise God. u have a choice whether u want to praise God or not.

alaric: see my comment on what is a soul. then read on the topics: truth and conscience, absolute truth, senses, and one other i cant remember.

Runt

Jon, I don't believe any religion is absolute because they are all manmade and as such are fallible. I do not find even my own beliefs to be absolute; that is why they change so often, as I change. Why would you wish for me to find a faith that is "absolute"? If I ever find an absolute religion, that would mean that the journey to find truth is over, and there would no longer be any meaning to my life. I am not dedicated to the absolute truth, but to the PROCESS of discovering truth. When I stop learning, it is time to die.

Runt

LOL, not knowing anything about Taoism I can't say I agree (or DON'T agree, for that matter), but thanks :p

Master Vigil

Your previous post was an immense, if not complete taoist answer. Not saying that you are taoist, but you have the same ideas as a taoist would. And being that you are a U.U., you can have those ideas. :)

Runt

LOL, I have no problem with the title taoist... except not knowing much about taoism (other than the conclusions I seem to have arrived at independently that match up with taoist beliefs) I am hesitant to claim that label. However, I'm reading the Tao Te Ching right now... slightly difficult read (because even though it is in English, I still have to translate everything because it speaks in metaphor so often)...figured the best way to learn about a religion is to go straight to it's text ("salvation by bibliography", as my UU minister often says). :p

ask your guardian angel for guidance as well. he loves allmost as much as the LOrd. trust in God he is the absolute truth or simply Truth. new sins come up all the time like euthanasia, cloning, nuclear war, artificial birth control, etc. these need to be discussed and warnings given should one be propagandized wrongly like thru the media.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
hmmm... new sins eh?
euthanasia isn't new.. been around as long as the sick have... you POV determins if this is a sin or not... I'd have to say not

cloning this is new... but if its a sin or not I cant say... To me it depends on its use, to me there are few good ones... so its iffy

nuclear war now this I agree is a modern sin... I'm just sad to say I live in one country that actually commited this attoscity...

artificial birth control also not realy new... birth control has been around for thousands of years... through the use of medicinal plants. Again its a sin only to some... I see nothing wrong with it.

Animals and plants and basicly everything in my belief has a soul... Humans arn't inherantly any better than anything elce... Creator made us all. :goodjob:

wa:-do

Master Vigil

You definitely do not need to take a title, actually taoism tells us to stay away from titles. For they are just words, and words are meaningless. I say I am taoist only because that is how people can understand my ideas. But I do not consider myself titled as anything. I am me. :)

painted wolf, i wasn't aware that artificial birth control or euthanasia are ancient sins. thanx for the info. everyone is responsible for birth control and there is only one natural way: natural family planning.
euthanasia is not necessary as we have pain medications now so the person may die naturally without certain discomforts, like pain.
the only church which hasn't changed it's doctrine is the Roman Catholic. they got it right the first time because they have an infallible leader, like the pope. in fact ted kennedy and other anti'life congressmen who are roman catholic have been excommunicated just for leading people astray.
because we can't pick and choose the beliefs we want due to discomfort or convenience, a catholic must even under pressure (such as the media), choose the absolute truth or teachings of the church as like God, they will never change. many martyrs have died for others because of what they believe.