• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

do you believe that the Garden of Eden is a real place?

Is the Garden a real place?

• Yes

Votes: 11 35.5%
  • Maybe

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • No

Votes: 19 61.3%

• Total voters

Earthling

David Henson
Wrong again. Perhaps you do not know the meaning of the word "speculate".

I know it's meaning. It's like when you read in a book that a scientist somewhere looks at something and determines that he thinks he knows what happened. Like a Doppler radar, or a broken piece of bone, pottery, paintings, carvings, rings in trees or ice or stone. Light, gases, rocks and signs in outer space. It's all speculation. You see? That's why it is always changing, and interpretations vary. It would be foolish to place any certainty on any of this. Any meaning beyond conjecture. Like the stock market or gambling. You may gamble your eternal life away but you won't gamble mine.

Oh, no Mr. Subduction Zone. You may speculate the cause of the present sideways and downward movement of the edge of a plate of the earth's crust into the mantle beneath another plate, and I mean you may. But it's unlikely that you could recognize a flood of unprecedented scope from the past.

Speculation.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I know it's meaning. It's like when you read in a book that a scientist somewhere looks at something and determines that he thinks he knows what happened. Like a Doppler radar, or a broken piece of bone, pottery, paintings, carvings, rings in trees or ice or stone. Light, gases, rocks and signs in outer space. It's all speculation. You see? That's why it is always changing, and interpretations vary. It would be foolish to place any certainty on any of this. Any meaning beyond conjecture. Like the stock market or gambling. You may gamble your eternal life away but you won't gamble mine.

Oh, no Mr. Subduction Zone. You may speculate the cause of the present sideways and downward movement of the edge of a plate of the earth's crust into the mantle beneath another plate, and I mean you may. But it's unlikely that you could recognize a flood of unprecedented scope from the past.

Speculation.
No, that is not speculation. The scientists have good reasons for thinking what they think and can support it. You may not be able to understand their work but that does not make it speculation.

So please, no personal attacks, and false claims of "speculation" are just that. If you want to claim speculation that is a positive claim on your part and you need to do a lot better than spouting a line that tells us how little you know of the sciences. I also suggest that you drop the word "conjecture". That once again appears to be your not understanding something and deriding it.

As usual the best thing to do when you do not understand something is to ask questions politely and properly,

So what version of the Flood myth do you believe?

Earthling

David Henson
No, that is not speculation. The scientists have good reasons for thinking what they think and can support it. You may not be able to understand their work but that does not make it speculation.

So please, no personal attacks, and false claims of "speculation" are just that. If you want to claim speculation that is a positive claim on your part and you need to do a lot better than spouting a line that tells us how little you know of the sciences. I also suggest that you drop the word "conjecture". That once again appears to be your not understanding something and deriding it.

As usual the best thing to do when you do not understand something is to ask questions politely and properly,

So what version of the Flood myth do you believe?

You know who my favorite cartoon character is? I don't mean as in stripper, like in a cartoon strip, but like animated character like on TV. It's Randy Marsh. He's such a dumb turd it's fun to watch him. He's a geologist in South Park, have you ever seen the show? It's a hoot. It's worth it to watch just to see what stupid **** Randy will do this week.

I love that show.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
You know who my favorite cartoon character is? I don't mean as in stripper, like in a cartoon strip, but like animated character like on TV. It's Randy Marsh. He's such a dumb turd it's fun to watch him. He's a geologist in South Park, have you ever seen the show? It's a hoot. It's worth it to watch just to see what stupid **** Randy will do this week.

I love that show.

Nice attempt to insult. Too bad that your cartoon character appears to be brighter than you. Why are you so afraid to clearly lay out your beliefs? Do you know that they are ridiculous?

Earthling

David Henson
Nice attempt to insult.

How could my enjoyment of a cartoon character be insulting to you?

Too bad that your cartoon character appears to be brighter than you.

You mean on the higher end of the spectrum?

Why are you so afraid to clearly lay out your beliefs? Do you know that they are ridiculous?

Then I'd really be smarter than you and you wouldn't express derision at my position on the spectrum.

I'm an award winning artist, did you know that? I don't need to be very bright.

Once I was watching one of the U.S. President, the most educated one of all time, I think, stammering through a speech - I think it was about "weapons of mass destruction." Isn't that a hoot! I think when he was a kid they probably taught him that if an alarm went off and we were being bombed by commies he should duck and cover! And he thought that would protect him from the nuclear winter that scientist thought up.

We don't get, uh . . . fool me once, and fool me again, but don't fool be thrice the amount of a single time. Or don't get fooled again. He said, or words to that effect. I started to float away in my mind like I do sometimes when I get bored, like in science class in high school, well I always sat in the back corner of the room reading Frank Herbert's Dune series over and over again, because I was hoping the teacher wouldn't bother me, which most of the time he didn't but he did send a letter home to my parents once saying that I was a good reader, but just not the right books. But I always passed all the classes I had to, I mean I never failed in a subject or grade that would result in me being there longer than I had to. Anyway I started wondering, does his family set around and laugh at his rich and powerful stupid *** when he's up there paraphrasing popular expressions mingled intermittently with, I don't know, The Who lyrics or abstract thoughts?

You know what I mean?

It's all connected in some strange and nefarious mannerisms of a seemingly altruistic disposition when in fact it's just a secret code for the proper authorities to subscribe to on an empire building in the New City.

Without the spyglass, I can tell you!

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
How could my enjoyment of a cartoon character be insulting to you?

You mean on the higher end of the spectrum?

Then I'd really be smarter than you and you wouldn't express derision at my position on the spectrum.

I'm an award winning artist, did you know that? I don't need to be very bright.

Once I was watching one of the U.S. President, the most educated one of all time, I think, stammering through a speech - I think it was about "weapons of mass destruction." Isn't that a hoot! I think when he was a kid they probably taught him that if an alarm went off and we were being bombed by commies he should duck and cover! And he thought that would protect him from the nuclear winter that scientist thought up.

We don't get, uh . . . fool me once, and fool me again, but don't fool be thrice the amount of a single time. Or don't get fooled again. He said, or words to that effect. I started to float away in my mind like I do sometimes when I get bored, like in science class in high school, well I always sat in the back corner of the room reading Frank Herbert's Dune series over and over again, because I was hoping the teacher wouldn't bother me, which most of the time he didn't but he did send a letter home to my parents once saying that I was a good reader, but just not the right books. But I always passed all the classes I had to, I mean I never failed in a subject or grade that would result in me being there longer than I had to. Anyway I started wondering, does his family set around and laugh at his rich and powerful stupid *** when he's up there paraphrasing popular expressions mingled intermittently with, I don't know, The Who lyrics or abstract thoughts?

You know what I mean?

It's all connected in some strange and nefarious mannerisms of a seemingly altruistic disposition when in fact it's just a secret code for the proper authorities to subscribe to on an empire building in the New City.

Without the spyglass, I can tell you!

Such a shame that you cannot be honest. Why are you so afraid?

Earthling

David Henson
Such a shame that you cannot be honest. Why are you so afraid?

Afraid? I'm not afraid of anything. I successfully overcame my night terrors. I'm offering you abstract thought that gives you insight on where I'm coming from.

Have, uh . . . have you ever had a "supernatural" experience? I'm not talking now about dreams, or hallucinations. I'm talking about something you can't explain but you know you experienced it.

Before I became a believer I had two such experiences. I didn't know what to make of them so I just ignored them and thought. Hmmm. Well, that was odd. On two separate occasions a voice outside of myself, loud and powerful. Clear. Told me things that I couldn't have known myself which were or became true.

What do you think of that?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Afraid? I'm not afraid of anything. I successfully overcame my night terrors. I'm offering you abstract thought that gives you insight on where I'm coming from.

Have, uh . . . have you ever had a "supernatural" experience? I'm not talking now about dreams, or hallucinations. I'm talking about something you can't explain but you know you experienced it.

Before I became a believer I had two such experiences. I didn't know what to make of them so I just ignored them and thought. Hmmm. Well, that was odd. On two separate occasions a voice outside of myself, loud and powerful. Clear. Told me things that I couldn't have known myself which were or became true.

What do you think of that?
Of course you are afraid. You know that your beliefs are pure BS and you are afraid of your night terrors returning. Someone without fear would not have such a weak faith that they could not answer questions honestly.

Earthling

David Henson
Of course you are afraid. You know that your beliefs are pure BS and you are afraid of your night terrors returning.

Not at all. First of all, I'm not afraid that my beliefs are pure BS. A few years back I became convinced that they were because I foolishly believed the nonsense that Acharya S. was at that time promulgating. Before I did any research I bought right into it and began telling the world what I had discovered just as I do now with my beliefs. It didn't last long and I wised up, but it certainly wasn't a frightful experience to me.

The night terrors I had started when I was 18 with leg twitching waking me up in the middle of the night and by the time I had become a believer they hadn't gotten much worse than that. Then I started having hallucinations of animals, people or beings that at first I thought must be extra terrestrial or demonic appearing and quickly disappearing. Mostly it was spiders, or wild animals. Dogs sometimes, things of that nature. I thought they were dreams and they were interesting to me. Eventually I realized that I couldn't have seen spiders crawling on my arm in the complete dark so I began just watching them instead of freaking out and they would disappear before my eyes. I realized then that they were hallucinations in that period of time in between sleep and waking. And they went away gradually. In a way I miss them. It was entertaining, much like watching a horror film or an amusement ride.

Someone without fear would not have such a weak faith that they could not answer questions honestly.

Dude, I would answer any questions if I thought you were sincere and respectful. Your last question to me was "which flood myth do you believe in." Now, I'm not willing to dismiss the possibility that you are so ****ing stupid that you didn't realize you framed this question in a way you know wouldn't get an answer, that you either think I'm so stupid I wouldn't catch on or you are so disrespectful of people with my beliefs that you missed that or the more likely possibility that you are an arrogant ****, but I wasn't interested in answering your questions.

Every single time you have propositioned me to discuss or debate the subject of the Bible there is that arrogant, stupid, smug, atheist, slimy, bull**** attitude which I just find . . . well, at time almost as interesting as night terrors, or, depending on my mood . . . not so entertaining.

Either way, why would I answer your questions or even have a discussion or debate with you? I've told you that you wouldn't be much of a challenge. An empty showroom model I compared you, remember?

Your position of science is irrelevant to me. Do you see where I've changed my status to "science denier"? I changed it when I heard and fell in love with the term mentioned here as an insult to someone else. Science isn't really important enough for me to seriously put forth the effort to deny it, it really isn't. I have just never been interested in it. It's just people guessing things. Speculation. Which is fine until it's presented by atheists with an agenda quite removed from science as some Utopian ultimate truth. Or it's people making things. Disposable things normally. **** we don't need to fill landfills and keep dumb consumers. Which is also fine to at least some extent.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Not at all. First of all, I'm not afraid that my beliefs are pure BS. A few years back I became convinced that they were because I foolishly believed the nonsense that Acharya S. was at that time promulgating. Before I did any research I bought right into it and began telling the world what I had discovered just as I do now with my beliefs. It didn't last long and I wised up, but it certainly wasn't a frightful experience to me.

The night terrors I had started when I was 18 with leg twitching waking me up in the middle of the night and by the time I had become a believer they hadn't gotten much worse than that. Then I started having hallucinations of animals, people or beings that at first I thought must be extra terrestrial or demonic appearing and quickly disappearing. Mostly it was spiders, or wild animals. Dogs sometimes, things of that nature. I thought they were dreams and they were interesting to me. Eventually I realized that I couldn't have seen spiders crawling on my arm in the complete dark so I began just watching them instead of freaking out and they would disappear before my eyes. I realized then that they were hallucinations in that period of time in between sleep and waking. And they went away gradually. In a way I miss them. It was entertaining, much like watching a horror film or an amusement ride.

Dude, I would answer any questions if I thought you were sincere and respectful. Your last question to me was "which flood myth do you believe in." Now, I'm not willing to dismiss the possibility that you are so ****ing stupid that you didn't realize you framed this question in a way you know wouldn't get an answer, that you either think I'm so stupid I wouldn't catch on or you are so disrespectful of people with my beliefs that you missed that or the more likely possibility that you are an arrogant ****, but I wasn't interested in answering your questions.

Every single time you have propositioned me to discuss or debate the subject of the Bible there is that arrogant, stupid, smug, atheist, slimy, bull**** attitude which I just find . . . well, at time almost as interesting as night terrors, or, depending on my mood . . . not so entertaining.

Either way, why would I answer your questions or even have a discussion or debate with you? I've told you that you wouldn't be much of a challenge. An empty showroom model I compared you, remember?

Your position of science is irrelevant to me. Do you see where I've changed my status to "science denier"? I changed it when I heard and fell in love with the term mentioned here as an insult to someone else. Science isn't really important enough for me to seriously put forth the effort to deny it, it really isn't. I have just never been interested in it. It's just people guessing things. Speculation. Which is fine until it's presented by atheists with an agenda quite removed from science as some Utopian ultimate truth. Or it's people making things. Disposable things normally. **** we don't need to fill landfills and keep dumb consumers. Which is also fine to at least some extent.
Wow! When someone writes a book in response to a simple observation it tells me that I was correct. Thanks for confirming my claims with the weak post and personal attacks.

So why does reality scare you so much that you cannot answer questions honestly or civilly?

Earthling

David Henson
Wow! When someone writes a book in response to a simple observation it tells me that I was correct. Thanks for confirming my claims with the weak post and personal attacks.

So why does reality scare you so much that you cannot answer questions honestly or civilly?

See? You can't stop doing it. Perhaps it's your way of avoiding the issue. Perhaps it's a trap. Maybe it just makes you feel good about yourself. I don't know. It doesn't matter.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
See? You can't stop doing it. Perhaps it's your way of avoiding the issue. Perhaps it's a trap. Maybe it just makes you feel good about yourself. I don't know. It doesn't matter.
What "issue". You have a false belief and your inability to debate that false belief properly tells us that you are afraid. There is no "trap" that I made. If one exists it is your own handiwork.

Earthling

David Henson
What "issue". You have a false belief and your inability to debate that false belief properly tells us that you are afraid. There is no "trap" that I made. If one exists it is your own handiwork.

So what? Why do you care so much if my beliefs are false and I have no ability to debate them properly? I have to question who determines "properly," but nevertheless why would you bother with me, then?

If you can answer that you have broke me and we will debate, but under my rules. Namely, no sources, no links, and no rules except for that the first one to say the other is ignorant or dishonest or improper in any way looses.

Just your beliefs and my beliefs. But I can tell you this, other than breaking one of the rules mentioned above, no one wins. No one looses.

jhwatts

Yes I believe it was a real place. My reasoning for why is that when we study its proposed location in the Bible and the records of Mesopotamia we can see the area of its location was in what today is the Iran, Iraq, Syria, etc. What is so special about this area? I don't know know but there are people who are in high places that realize it is special. It seems every other president in the US wants to go there and blow it up. Again, why are they trying to crumble it to powder? Is it to hide something. I don't know but something is there. Even now Trump is pointing at Iran and the Saudis. Its a big world and yet those in high places want to keep gravitate back to that area .

I noticed too, when you look at the deities worshiped in those areas you can see connections to certain events today. A prime example is Inanna in Mesopotamia, who is Ishtar in Assyrian mythology, who is Isis in Egypt, who is Aphrodite in Greek mythology, etc. Take the terrorist group Isis. I mean, why the name Isis? They make sure it is know that one of their primary agendas is to kill Christians. Now look at the holiday Easter. Part of it is considered a Christian holiday and part is pagan. Its pagan elements and name is derived from Ishtar and so its name. There is the same polarity between Christianity and a deity (Ishtar) from this area. Many other holidays in the US contain that same polarity. A Christian element and a element from specific deities in what we would call Eden.

There is something special in that area and something is up. Those in high places no whats up or else they would leave it alone.

Muffled

Jesus in me
No. Biggest reason is the time gap is very small for anything distinct like that would exist. Life on earth wasnt around until 4.5 billion years ago. People didnt believe in one-god religions until way way way later. Like other religions, they are stories to help understand the role of how others view one theory of creation. Like Native Ameriacn stories etc. its pretty much for that purpose. Im sure Hindu creation stories are arond the same purpose.

I dont understand how the supernatural can be when abraham lived around in the 7th century BC (as so looked up) but then in the 21st century, nothing!

It all doesnt add up. I dont know if The Catholic Church believes these things are literal. Many Fundamentalist (JW included) surely do.

I believe that is all fantasy on your part.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I believe that is all fantasy on your part.

Its historical. I took art history and learn most of it. Like Paganism, multiple belief in gods, came before monotheism. For some reason spirituality (the miracle kind) stopped after The Church. The Church is still trying to find miracles as they once had (so read). Sh/t Id have to find it in a bit. They tried to see the imprint of the Virgin Mary when they saw rain treated walls. and things like this The Virgin Mary

I went to a Native merican POW WOW and learn some of the Native Beliefs, at least those they shared with the public. But I did look up where the time of abraham was around.

We went from parting the red seas and jesus resurrection to now, nothing.

Whether you disagree with history and theories is not the same as facts and historical evidence for these findings andl lack thereof to prove and disprove christian faith and its supernatural content.