1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you believe that the flood actually happened

Discussion in 'Religious Debates' started by ThisShouldMakeSense, Jun 1, 2005.

1. ThisShouldMakeSense

ThisShouldMakeSense Active Member

Ratings:
    +19
    Do you believe that the flood as described in the bible actually happened? Or was it as some believe a more localised flood, rather than global. or do you beleive that it's just a myth and may never have happened at all?

2. Khale

Khale Active Member

Ratings:
    +45
    I believe that it was a myth based on other myths which may have been based on a local flood.

Do I think that changes the spiritual meaning behind the story? No.

• Like Like x 1
  3. EnhancedSpirit

EnhancedSpirit High Priestess

Ratings:
    +490
    I believe the flood actually happened. And it was not ever described as a 'global' event. The world as they knew it was underwater. Since it was not known that the world was round, it would be assumed that the whole world was under water.

Explorer Finds Evidence of Life Before Great Flood
    by Sue Pleming

Reuters - September 13, 2000 WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. explorers said on Wednesday they have found signs of human habitation hundreds of feet below the Black Sea where a catastrophic flood occurred about 7,500 years ago, which some scientists say is linked to the biblical story of Noah.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jaymes

Jaymes The cake is a lie

Ratings:
    +1,039
    I believe it was local. Every society that existed on floodable rivers has flood stories...

5. michel

michel Administrator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,656
    Ah, when I think back to my last incarnation on Atlantis..............;)

6. cmotdibbler

cmotdibbler Member

Ratings:
    +16
    I believe it there was a local flood and the story got embellished.

7. Jayhawker Soule

Jayhawker Soule <yawn> ignore </yawn>
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +14,547
    Religion:
    Judaism
    Perhaps more interesting is to ask what the author of 2 Peter believed. ;)

8. Ormiston

Ormiston Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +165
    I don't know. Is there any historical evidence?

9. Ori

Ori Angel slayer

Ratings:
    +362
    I believe there was a major flood which affected most of the world, this happened at the end of our last ice age.

10. Scuba Pete

Scuba Pete Le plongeur avec attitude...

Ratings:
    +3,192
    Religion:
    Christian Taoist
    To those few who survived this flood, their entire world was wiped out.

Was the whole world wiped out? The world as they knew it was. I'll leave the details up to God.

11. Tawn

Tawn Active Member

Ratings:
    +107
    Theres evidence of polar shifts in Earths history.. its entirely possible that if this happened there would be massive earthquakes, flooding and all sorts going on all over the planet.
    Alternatively one could believe that the story is derived from a tsunami event.

12. Druidus

Druidus Keeper of the Grove

Ratings:
    +515
    The flood did not occur as presented in the Bible.

It is possible that a worldwide flood may have occured, but there is no evidence for it.

13. jewscout

jewscout Religious Zionist

Ratings:
    +922
    I think it is based probably on an older story
    flood stories are very common in many cultures, mainly because many early cultures grew up around rivers which..........flood

14. BUDDY

BUDDY User of Aspercreme

Ratings:
    +485
    Call me crazy, but I believe that the flood was a global event. At first I believed in the local flood theory, until I realized what God said in his promise to Noah. He said that he promised never to destroy the earth by flood again. If it had been a localized event, then God would be promising not to destroy a small area by flood again, and of course that would make God a liar since there are floods everywhere, every year. That's when I decided that the global flood explaination was the only one that made sense to me in combination with the Bible.

15. BUDDY

BUDDY User of Aspercreme

Ratings:
    +485
    You say that as if you have closed your mind to any alernate possibility. You don't normally seen so closed minded in your meliefs, so what has convinced you otherwise? Also, ther is plenty of evidence in a massive flood, whose flood layer has been discovered in numerous digs around the globe, but particulary in excavations in the middle east.

16. jewscout

jewscout Religious Zionist

Ratings:
    +922
    unless it happened on a local scale, but Noah thought it was a global one, and still HaShem made that promise not to destroy the earth by flood to appease Noah...

or perhaps there is more going on in the story than just the flood...

17. Dayv

Dayv Member

Ratings:
    +37
    It was a localized event if it occured. As has been said, many cultures have flood myths, and the bible is no different. What I find funny is, if it happened as it says in the bible, that being, every creature that walks the earth today, did then and two of each unclean and six (I think) of each clean animal was on the arch, and if evolution doesn't occur, than doesn't that mean that those, what, eight people, were carrying every bacterium and virus now know to man.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Druidus

Ratings:
    +515
    Allow me to explain (previous posts of mine):

Let's use a simplified version of this scenario. We'll throw the measurements out the window, so we don't have to worry about them first. Assuming only elephants were on the ship, we can say there were two animals on the ship, excluding the humans and possible stowaways. The amount of food the average elephant needs in one day is 75 to 150 kilograms. We'll go with 150 for simplicity. Over the year (approximately) that the ark was supposedly on the water, we would need 109.5 metric tons of elephant food with us, excluding what the humans need. Combine that with the weight of both of elephants 9.2 metric tons, we already have 118.7 metric tons of weight on the ship. This is only the two African Elephants. I'm not sure, but 118.7 metric tons, for just two of the required animals is to much for a paltry wooden ark to hold. The flooring might even break. 118.7 metric tons is equal to the weight of approximately 1493 people. Could his ark hold that many people?

The story is largely impossible, and completely inconsistant with reality. However, it is likely that there is a seed of truth. Quite likely, infact, so much so, that I would bet my life on it. There was a man who built an ark, and used it to save his livestock and family from a flood, which lasted a relatively short period of time, many, many years ago. Over time, this morphed into the story we love/are indifferent to/hate today.

Everyone is also forgetting the single most likely reason the story is false. Massive salinity changes would have destroyed fresh-water eco-systems, and, all plant-life would have died. Unless Noah took them on the Ark too, thus requiring even more space and weight limits (Sequioa?).

• Like Like x 1
  19. EnhancedSpirit

EnhancedSpirit High Priestess

Ratings:
    +490
    There are over 600 accounts of a great flood. Flood Stories from Around the World

20. Druidus

Ratings:
    +515
    ES, this is because any culture that comes into contact with water will have myths and legends about it. Water is a defining element of human life, and because it holds the power of life and death, early cultures would create stories about it, or magnify what actually did happen. The simple facts are that all plant life would have died, the wooden ark could not possibly hold even two elephants and the required food (discounting the humans, and any other animals), and the fact that Noah could not possibly have gathered every animal (how did the American animals reach the Ark, or the Australian ones? Especially in seven days, like it says in the Bible).