1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you believe that Jesus was born on December 25th?

Discussion in 'General Religious Debates' started by Reverend Rick, Dec 8, 2007.

1. Reverend Rick

Reverend Rick Frubal Whore
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +3,196
    Do you believe that Jesus was born on December 25th or that the church chose to celebrate Christ's birth day during the Yule celebration and Winter Solstice to appease Early Pagans who were going to burn logs and exchange gifts and bring trees into the house anyway?

2. Mestemia

Mestemia Advocatus Diaboli
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12,646
    Something I found long ago:

3. Bishka

Bishka Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +1,487
    No.

It wouldn't make sense for Him to be born on December 25th, but it is a day that was chosen, so I will celebrate His birth on that day.

4. standing_alone

standing_alone Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,038
    No. But even when I was a Christian, I didn't see what the problem was with deciding to celebrate his birth on December 25th. I think it's stupid when people think Christians shouldn't celebrate Christmas because, "Dude, guys, that so wasn't Jesus' real birthday!!!"

I could care less why the Church decided to celebrate Christmas when it did and wouldn't be shocked it had something to do with appeasing Pagans and gaining them as converts. I really just don't care. Christians enjoy the holiday and it has meaning to them; that's good enough for me.

5. Nanda

Nanda Polyanna

Ratings:
    +758
    No, I don't believe it was his day of birth (I'm not even sure I believe that he actually existed in the first place) but it doesn't really matter. I'm with Standing Alone on this one; Christians (and certain atheists who will go unnamed... >_ > ) enjoy the holiday and it has meaning to them; that's good enough for me, too.

6. Mister Emu

Mister Emu Emu Extraordinaire
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,340
    Religion:
    Christian
    Not particularly, but I'll still be celebrating His birth that day, along with all the Church...

7. logician

logician Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +379
    Jessus wasn't born period, the story is a myth. Many mythical gods had birthdays around the winter solstice.

8. Mister Emu

Mister Emu Emu Extraordinaire
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,340
    Religion:
    Christian
    While I've never met or heard of anyone named Jessus before, I don't think I could take it to the level of certainty that you have the no such person has been born :p

9. Shadow Wolf

Shadow Wolf Rival's Wife

Ratings:
    +28,184
    Religion:
    God is in the Rain
    Well, there is a 1:365 probability he was born on Dec. 25th. But I doubt he was actually born on that date, and it was likely placed on that date so the holiday would appeal to the Pagans that the early church tried to convert.

10. michel

michel Administrator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,655
    Quite; the queen has a national day for her birthday, and a private day for her real birthday, if she can get away with that, why shouldn't Jesus ?:p

11. Jayhawker Soule

Jayhawker Soule <yawn> ignore </yawn>
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +14,305
    Religion:
    Judaism
    Perhaps you could imagine a third option.

12. Random

Random Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +694
    Like what?

13. Shadow Wolf

Shadow Wolf Rival's Wife

Ratings:
    +28,184
    Religion:
    God is in the Rain
    Someone rolled dice and the day was randomly selected?

14. ChristineES

ChristineES Tiggerism
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +3,201
    Religion:
    Disciple of Yeshua.
    No, I know that Jesus wasn't born December 25. I think most people know that by now. It doesn't matter for reasons already brought up.

15. Gentoo

Gentoo The Feisty Penguin

Ratings:
    +1,132
    No, I don't believe he was born on Dec. 25. But I don't think that it doesn't really matter, to most Christians, the fact that you celebrate it in general is what's important.

16. Mr. Peanut

Mr. Peanut Active Member

Ratings:
    +36
    He wasn't born on Dec. 25th? Really? Imagine that!:sarcastic

17. Muffled

Muffled Jesus in me

Ratings:
    +1,299
    Religion:
    Christian
    The sixth month would have been the latter part of March into April which means that Jesus was born in the latter part of December or early January.

I have seen an astrological chart for the birth of Jesus on Dec 25th and it suits him to a tee. There is no reason to not believe that the Holy Spirit could convey that information to the church fathers. I think if there were a desire to replace solstice worship the birtday would have been made Dec. 21st.

18. Random

Random Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +694
    It is obvious the Winter solstice has something to do with the reason the Church Fathers made their divine godman born on Dec. 25th. The date is the same for numerous proto-saviours, not least the Roman Mithras.

19. nutshell

nutshell Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +669
    No, I don't think his birth date was Dec. 25th.

To be honest, I have gone mostly secular when it comes to Christmas thanks to the commercialization of the holiday. Did I lose anything? I don't think so. Why? Because I try to celebrate Christ everyday.

20. Ceridwen018

Ceridwen018 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +399
    Its interesting to see how many people "don't think Dec. 25 was Jesus' real birthday." Isn't there just as good of a chance that it was Dec. 25 as any other day?

Anyway, I know that when I was Catholic and found out that Dec. 25 was chosen as Jesus' birthday just because it coincided with a pagan holiday (and not just any pagan holiday--the birth of the Sun god to be exact. You don't have to dig deep to find that the Abrahamic religions are completely standard and not unique at all) I was deeply disturbed. Especially when I found that the purpose for overshadowing the pagan holiday was to gain converts--essentially tricking the pagans into worshipping Christianity. Just one more unethical practice to add to the list of many. The ends do not justify the means.