• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you believe that God is personal?

Levite

Higher and Higher
I am just curious.

Judaism essentially proposes a paradoxical God: one who is transcendent and immanent, simultaneously.

So, I kind of believe God is both personal and impersonal. The aspects of God which are the most transcendant (called in Kabbalistic parlance Ein Sof, or The Infinite) are, as I understand them, more or less impersonal. But the other aspects of God, which are more immanent, reflect a more or less personal God.

I treat God as personal, and expect that the immanent aspects of God respond as such. But I also presume that the most transcendant aspects of God are not only ineffable to me (or any human), but do not "care" to try and have me comprehend them, as they are too remote.

I don't know how much sense that makes. It sounds better in my head, in Hebrew....

Me Myself

Back to my username
The infinite contains the finite.

This is why I think that God is personal while trascending every "personality".

This of course means he is also impersonal.

But well, those are my two cents :D

leon_the_14

Judaism essentially proposes a paradoxical God: one who is transcendent and immanent, simultaneously.

So, I kind of believe God is both personal and impersonal. The aspects of God which are the most transcendant (called in Kabbalistic parlance Ein Sof, or The Infinite) are, as I understand them, more or less impersonal. But the other aspects of God, which are more immanent, reflect a more or less personal God.

I treat God as personal, and expect that the immanent aspects of God respond as such. But I also presume that the most transcendant aspects of God are not only ineffable to me (or any human), but do not "care" to try and have me comprehend them, as they are too remote.

I don't know how much sense that makes. It sounds better in my head, in Hebrew....
Pretty much agree with this.
If you want to be personal with God then approach him.

Horcrux_6

Winchester
As personal as conceivably possible. I believe He knows each and every human being on earth by name, and that he cares about each and every one of them.

Forgive me but how does that explain genocide, absolutely horrific torture, domestic abuse, and, on the whole, every other kind of inconceivable act that befalls a high percentage of humans on a daily basis? Not saying you're wrong, per say, just find it hard to rationally accept that without understanding the reasoning behind it.

I agree with Levite, to a certain extent. Funny old question though.

Sultan Of Swing

Forgive me but how does that explain genocide, absolutely horrific torture, domestic abuse, and, on the whole, every other kind of inconceivable act that befalls a high percentage of humans on a daily basis? Not saying you're wrong, per say, just find it hard to rationally accept that without understanding the reasoning behind it.

I agree with Levite, to a certain extent. Funny old question though.

What do you want God to do? Destroy every weapon and ensure that no human does evil?

Our free will would then disappear in the blink of an eye, and the world would lose those amazing glimpses of human goodness and kindness completely of our own volition as we choose to try and make a difference and help those around us despite the many cases of horrific evils around us.

God has given humanity the free will to do both good and evil.

God promises to free us from the bad things of this world when we die. Any suffering we had to endure in our finite lifetimes are more than made up for by spending an infinite amount of time in happiness with God. We are given the free will to choose to follow Him and spend eternity with Him.

hackwrench

I believe there is an entity I originated from and yet is not me that seeks to know what has become of me, and consistently sends me something of sustenance to my very being.