• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you believe in true love?

Do you believe in true love?

• No, I have never know anyone to experience it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I just don't think it exists.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Andra130

If you have ever experienced true, romantic, unconditional love share your experience! If you believe true love is a hoax tell us why....

No*s

Captain Obvious
I've never experienced such a thing as "true, romantic, unconditional love," nor do I expect to. I can, however, say that I firmly believe it exists.

There are a great many people who say they've experienced the state, and I trust their testimony on what they feel :). Further, I believe in unconditional love in other areas of life and consider it pretty important. I see no reason to exclude a romantic variety.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Andra130 said:
If you have ever experienced true, romantic, unconditional love share your experience! If you believe true love is a hoax tell us why....
It is often said that Genius is near to madness, (My boring thread some while ago about continuums being circular) - I find that those who experience very bad depression can also experience exultation (Its a kind of system that has to have a 'middle point to balance the extremes, as in wave motion) If you look at the Graph, I am , for example, because of depression the black line (My moods) whereas someone more 'normal'- if there is such a thing as normality - follows the red line.
Therefore, my feelings of extreme true, romantic, unconditional Love may be totally different from another's (In intensity); I feel that way towards my wife; I have felt that way towards some of the Forum Members (leaving out the 'romantic' part), and I feel that for my sons, and our dog.
Love, a hoax? 'Get thee behind me...............':)

FyreBrigidIce

Returning Noob
I also have depression. I beleive in true love and am experiencing it every day.

Romantically with my husband.

The other form of true love for my children, friends, and family

FBI

meogi

I voted Yes, I just know it occurs. Mainly because the way I feel for my current girlfriend is definitely love, but maybe not unconditional. Yet, at least. Much like the micro/macro evolution debate, I see 'true love' as the effect of loving for a long time. Love turns into 'true love.'

jewscout

Religious Zionist
I'm experiencing it right now...the kind of love that makes you believe you can stare down any foe, move any obsticle...
For her i would walk into the pits of hell barefoot and spit in the eye of the devil, i would travel to the ends of the world, i would move heaven and earth with my bare hands...

Then again i could be under a mild insanity brought on by chemical reactions and hormones in my brain and all i need is the right set of meds:D

mrscardero

Kal-El's Mama
jewscout said:
Then again i could be under a mild insanity brought on by chemical reactions and hormones in my brain and all i need is the right set of meds:D
When you find the right set of meds, please let me know. All this true love,
understanding, respect, etc. carrdero and I have is making me wonder if I
am under some kind of spell.
lovestruck.gif

Bring on the Medicine Man/Woman!

Lightkeeper

I don't think romantic love and unconditional love can be considered on the same level. Romantic love wants something.

Ceridwen018

Maybe for some, Lightkeeper, but not true romantic love. My love for a certain someone is completely selfless. I naturally and happily put his happiness before my own.....wait--If I am happy to put his happiness before my own, aren't I kind of doing what makes me happy? Oh my gawd! You're right--I DO want something! Oh Spinkles, I'm so sorry--I promise I'll never want you to be happy again! ;)

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Yes I believe in love! Completely irreversible, head-over-heals, I-would-do-anything-for-you love. I believe all true love to be unconditional, no real love comes with conditions, no matter what the relationship is. That's not to say you're blind to the other person's faults (everyone has their faults, except for my Meggie of course :D), but that doesn't stop us from loving them.

Snowbear

Nita Okhata
I thought I did. Turns out it wasn't unconditional.
In my experience, love ALWAYS ends up hurting.
Some folks say experiencing genuine love is worth the hurt that comes with it.
For me, it's not.

johnnys4life

Pro-life Mommy
I didn't used to believe in true love. I was always kind of cynical. I just settled for hoping I'd find someone who'd put up with me, and be able to put up with them.

It just happened to me over the space of a few months, and I got married to my soulmate. Now, as the song says, "I'm a believer."

But love doesn't have to be romantic for it to be "true love". As long as you're honest and wouldn't hurt someone for your own gain, that is love.