• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you believe in the death penalty?

Do you believe in the death penalty?

• Yes

Votes: 17 38.6%
  • No

Votes: 27 61.4%

• Total voters

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
The trouble is, that innocent people get convicted and then executed.
Also, mentally ill people get convicted and executed.

But even if we could get accurate convictions we should not execute people.

siti

I think it boils down to this: should an individual do everything he can be reasonably expected to do to avoid killing another human? If yes, then doesn't the collective have at least the same level of responsibility to take all reasonable steps to avoid killing?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Though I vigorously oppose the death penalty, there are always those special cases that crop up that make you go, "Hmmmm."
I agree.
I oppose it because the 'justice' system is fraught with injustice & error.
But for heinous crimes where we're certain of the perp's guilt, I'm OK with a public display of neck stretching.

I oppose electrocution & lethal injection because they're too unreliable.
The firing squad is quick, painless & sure.
And the right to pull the trigger can be auctioned off to the highest bidder as a revenue source.

siti

Why not just hold it in the coliseum and sell tickets? Or Pay per View?
Yes, why not? It used to be very popular...as were witch dunking and burning at the stake...why not bring them all back?
Rainey_Bethea_hanging_big.jpg

How does killing someone like Ted Bundy bring me down to his level?
Look at the picture and tell me how it does not?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
At first sight this looks like a statement about facts, but it is actually an opinion since you are the one setting the bar as to what counts as 'justifiable'.
I'm basing my position on two things:

1) In a free society, laws must be justified, and their positive effect has to outweigh any negative impact.

2) Criminal punishments have a few recognized objectives that aren't satisfied by the death penalty.

Expanding on that second point a bit, here are the four objectives of punishment that were presented to my class and I by my criminal law prof:

- specific deterrence: stop the offender from committing the crime again.
- general deterrence: use the offender as an example in order to prevent other people from committing the crime.
- inculcation: make a declaration that the crime is wrong, and by the relative severity of the sentence, how wrong it is relative to other crimes.
- rehabilitation: educate/treat/etc. the criminal in order to redirect him or her to a non-criminal life upon release.

Going from life in prison to the death penalty:

- you do nothing for specific deterrrence. The criminal's already in custody.
- you do nothing for general deterrence. Study after study have shown that the death penalty doesn't work as a deterrent.
- you do nothing for inculcation. Whatever your maximum punishment is, handing down the maximum sentence communicates "this is as wrong as it gets."
- you do nothing for rehabilitation, obviously.

Now... there's nothing stopping you from wanting to live in a society that isn't free, so to that extent, we can disagree. But if you think something else should be on the list of objectives for punishment, say what it is and then we can discuss it.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Sometimes I think those wishing to keep the death penalty should have to watch it. There would be less of a disconnect if they had to. Same too with slaughterhouses, and meat. There is too much disconnect in our society. Booze ads should have as much time spent on people vomiting, drunk driving, and beating their families as on happy pretty girls partying.

We spend a lot of money on keeping people disconnected from reality. But it's true of good things too, like gardens growing, loving parents keeping their kids happy.

Sorry for the rant.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Sometimes I think those wishing to keep the death penalty should have to watch it. There would be less of a disconnect if they had to. Same too with slaughterhouses, and meat.
I've seen many videos of people getting killed and animals being slaughtered for food.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Yeah - but the idea of giving depraved killers a taste of their own medicine is obviously very appealing to many...I am sometimes very sad when I consider the level of humanity of humanity :cry:
Well, again, I'm not one of the ones proposing torturing them or making a spectacle out of it. :shrug:

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I've seen it live. Not people, just animals.

Good for you though. Not all people have. I had an uncle who seemed to revel in butchering. Always seemed odd to me.
I don't think I'd get much pleasure out of it. I'd kill an animal for food but I'd do it as quickly and painlessly as I could and make sure to be as grateful as possible to their spirit. Personally, I think some forms of slaughter are simply disgusting. But that's another topic. I agree with you that most people are too sheltered from reality.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
In your little country you probably already do. Have a nice chat with the guy beforehand though. Ask him where he grew up, what his childhood was like, you know, the good ol' days.
I was thinking of trying to sell him (or her) extended warranties on things.