• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you believe in superstitions?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
My friend does. She doesnt call it that. Since she is a woman once a month she washes blood on her face. She says it clears the skin. She believes that her family does black magic and mapulating her family because they are American therefore "rich."

I have my own supersitions. I place salt in the corners my rooms for protection. One corner per room. I believe in blessings and the power of prayer. Horse shoes and wearing or using colors for different means like protection. No walking on someones grave. No taking pictures of the deceased pictures, at the wake, or funeral. I have nothing cultural that I remember. If so, my mother probably forgot. After awhile we build our own supersititions.

Let me ask, are you superstitous? If so, what of?

Covellite

Someone can call it a superstition. I don't like that word. I respect everybody's believe, if you don't - you don't respect them. Everybody deserve to be respected.

Aiviu

I believe that the heart must brought to life not the fear. Sometimes i notice how i respect others superstitions. Of course i dont blame them. But maybe i shouldnt leave it unsaid that there are no superstitions. Its the energy of reasons why someone believes in it.

Covellite

I feel much safer with a piece of a piece of black tourmaline (it's really very cheap) and I keep it with myself all the time.
I also believe that some people can send you a demon (call it black magic if you want) to ruin your life. Demons are very manipulative can influence your life and decision making . It's hard to feel there's presence until you start to behave in a way they don't like. Then, it's very common to feel there's presence, usually with strong emotional, health, money problems and pain. There's basic intention is not to just ruin your life, but to corrupt your soul. If you are able to go through this personal crisis by following your heart and moral, IMO they would leave you alone.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I wager that outsiders to contemporary Paganisms - which make heavy use of correspondence in both spells and rituals - would regard all of it as "mere superstition," so... yes (provisionally)?

GoodbyeDave

I must admit I don't walk under ladders and I do touch wood, but I don't think I have any others.

I remember a story about an academic who observed some superstition. "Surely you don't believe that stuff?" a colleague said. "Of course not!" he replied, "but they say it works even if you don't believe."

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
My friend does. She doesnt call it that. Since she is a woman once a month she washes blood on her face. She says it clears the skin. She believes that her family does black magic and mapulating her family because they are American therefore "rich."

I have my own supersitions. I place salt in the corners my rooms for protection. One corner per room. I believe in blessings and the power of prayer. Horse shoes and wearing or using colors for different means like protection. No walking on someones grave. No taking pictures of the deceased pictures, at the wake, or funeral. I have nothing cultural that I remember. If so, my mother probably forgot. After awhile we build our own supersititions.

Let me ask, are you superstitous? If so, what of?

Nope. I do not believe in superstition.

It brings bad luck to believe in those things.

Ciao

- viole

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Maybe superstitions isnt the right word. Do you guys have rituals, actions, or things you believe say in your family and/or society that from others perspective may seem off but to you "completely normal."?

Paleo

Primitivism and chill
Depends on your definition as one man's superstition is another's religion and where do we draw that pretty, albeit squiggly, line in the sand?

Now that are certain things I don't do out of respect and I suppose walking on someone's grave would be one of those things. In my beliefs respect for the dead is held as of great importance (though nothing particularly bad will happen if you don't, it's just considered being polite more of less) but to some such an act might be considered superstitious even if I don't feel the act is.

Edit:
Maybe superstitions isnt the right word. Do you guys have rituals, actions, or things you believe say in your family and/or society that from others perspective may seem off but to you "completely normal."?

I do have rituals I perform if you wish to call them that. Things like giving offerings to The Lord and Lady which many would consider down right 'evil' or 'Satanic' (not that I even see 'Satan' as a bad entity) just because of the deities themselves however it's just something I do. I give, say, an offering of grain and ask for guidance or wisdom in return.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
My mother always said "dont cut the pole." Meaning id we were walking beside each other and a pole was in front, one of us should join the other and walk around rather than split it.

I used to be afraid of, what is that Witch's name that you say three times in the mirror at night? We kids would try it but didnt quite work.

Another one is when I drop a medicine pill you say "three second rule" and blow it off as if germs wait three seconds before attacking the pill.