• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you believe in reincarnation?

JRMcC

When I say 'believe' here I don't mean it in a negative way, like accepting with blind faith. I used to believe in reincarnation because it made sense to me on an intellectual level. Lately I have a very hard time believing that it's possible, even though there's a part of me that still feels like it's true. I have an old teacher and friend that believes in reincarnation, and I've been meaning to do some soul searching and revisit this question. But I've been too busy and preoccupied to much if any spiritual thinking.

I was wondering if anyone could share any insights they have on the topic and give me something to think about.

(ps. I probably wouldn't have posted this if I wasn't so tired of seeing non-religion related posts.)

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
As far as I'm concerned, reincarnation is an indisputable aspect of the apparent world. We know for a fact that matter/energy are not created or destroyed. Whenever anything is "destroyed," the components of that object become part of ("reincarnate" into) other things. The universe recycles everything. Recycling is basically reincarnation. To me, anyway.

matthew_/!/

In my opinion (you might not care) I think that reincarnation is not plausible in the real world. Scientifically speaking how would I have my consciousness transferred after death into an animal or another human. I just think it makes no sense.

And in response to the poster above me, reincarnating into whatever the universe recycles you to would mean you reincarnate into dust/dirt. As that is what you become when you are decomposed.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
As far as I'm concerned, reincarnation is an indisputable aspect of the apparent world. We know for a fact that matter/energy are not created or destroyed. Whenever anything is "destroyed," the components of that object become part of ("reincarnate" into) other things. The universe recycles everything. Recycling is basically reincarnation. To me, anyway.
This strikes me as sophomoric word-play. Few people who speak of 'reincarnation' are thinking about detritus.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
No, I do not see how any reincarnation could be real in any meaningful sense.

Rebirth, though... but despite the insistence of some, those are very contrasting beliefs.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
If I understand correctly what he is saying is that reincarnation is just a made up system to justify the belief of karma
That would be interesting, since it works better (but still very much insufficiently) the other way around.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I tend to think there is a type of "recycling" that goes on through various arrangements and movements of atoms and molecules that I initially caused the lights to come in so to speak.

There also seems to be a true death as well concerning personality and self identity that essentally resets to zero with no recollection or memory of any type of past lives. Once the proper arrangement of atoms and molecules enables life again and a new personality and physiology arises it would be oblivious to the former.

I figured since being born out of what what can be classified for all intents and purposes as a death state, it follows that there is no real reason something like this won't ever happen again being we already arose out of death in the first place.

I also entertain the idea of where each atom in the body has been, and the true actual age of our atomic make up which likely makes each of us exceedenly ancient in a real way.

It's probably not reincarnation in the sense of souls and such, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to throw this out there.

Anyways I stop short of belief, but rather view this as an educated guess in light we are essentally formed entirely out of atoms and molecules, which dynamically fall apart and form continually through living and inanimate matter giving rise to countless formations and animations.

A Vestigial Mote

This strikes me as sophomoric word-play. Few people who speak of 'reincarnation' are thinking about detritus.
I agree with this, and would add that the word "incarnate" itself precludes the idea of becoming something inanimate as a form of "reincarnation". "Incarnation" is, specifically, the process of assuming or inhabiting a living form - "embodying flesh". To say that the stuff of "you" becoming dirt/dust is an "incarnation" of "you" isn't even pertinent to the word. Perhaps if the stuff of your body helped in the process of growing fungus or grass - which is still a stretch - and only slightly more appealing than the worst of it. I don't know that anyone would want to envision themselves "reincarnated" as bacteria poo, for example.

I do understand the premise of "recycling", and it is, indeed, an amazing and all-encompassing process. I just don't feel that "reincarnation" is the best word fit for said process.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I agree with this, and would add that the word "incarnate" itself precludes the idea of becoming something inanimate as a form of "reincarnation". "Incarnation" is, specifically, the process of assuming or inhabiting a living form - "embodying flesh". To say that the stuff of "you" becoming dirt/dust is an "incarnation" of "you" isn't even pertinent to the word. Perhaps if the stuff of your body helped in the process of growing fungus or grass - which is still a stretch - and only slightly more appealing than the worst of it. I don't know that anyone would want to envision themselves "reincarnated" as bacteria poo, for example.

Since this is the Comparative Religion section and not a debate section, would you like to ask those of us who hold this view some questions so you can better understand where we are coming from?

A Vestigial Mote

Since this is the Comparative Religion section and not a debate section, would you like to ask those of us who hold this view some questions so you can better understand where we are coming from?
I'll bite. What, do you feel, is the meaning of the word "incarnation"? And, by association then, the word "reincarnation"?

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I was wondering if anyone could share any insights they have on the topic and give me something to think about.
Count me in as a 'believer'. When we die we continue as us (our current personality) for quite some time on the astral/mental planes. Eventually we drop even our astral/mental bodies and exist in our soul (Causal Body) which remembers and is influenced by all its incarnations on the lower planes. In most cases the soul (which exists on even a higher plane than the astral/mental) will understand the need for new experiences to further its growth and then a new blank slate of grosser bodies (astral/mental and physical) for the soul to influence are formed under its direction.

My reasons for believing are many including the teachings of so many masters that I respect and I believe perceive beyond the physical and things like the verifiable reincarnation memory of children studied by western parapsychologists.