• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you believe in personal God?

Matthew78

aspiring biblical scholar
I speak to a personal God. And this God speaks personally to me. Its a personal relationship with a real entity who is really there and who you can really trust.

Really? How does this god speak to you? What does this god say to you?

ckww

Really? How does this god speak to you? What does this god say to you?

God communicates through answered prayers--sometimes with miracles, sometimes through His wisdom and sometimes by God's power to change a situation. As you know God--- you feel his presence.

I have to say....its a very personal experience and meant to be that way. Because God is a personal God who wants personal one on one relationships. We believe in "witnessing" to those who are open to it. But to those who are inherently skepical...its just pearls with the swine thing.
:)

Onkara

I believe in God or in consciousness. Or to put it a little differently I believe that there is something universality about all of us. We all are directly related to each other and there is something that ties up us,k that invisible thread. Enlightenment or Nirvana is something the realization of the fact that we all are related. I do not believe in Personal God. I do not believe in incarnation.

All of us are one entity, whether Krishna or the Buddha or Jesus. All these prophets and ourselves share something common and that commonness is our connection. We are not less than any of them.

Everything, every creature or every planet and galaxy forms part of us and we all submerge finally.

In fact having personal God divides us along religious lines and in fact if believe in the universality of God or believe in God that is impersonal and is something different than our scriptural description then we will go closer and closer to God or to something universal consciousness.

I just invite your argument on this

Both personal gods and Consciousness as you describe above exist simultaneously, not independent of each other.

Limited understanding is what causes division. This is when self-identity is based on limits i.e. my religion, my nationality, my family, my inheritance etc.

Matthew78

God communicates through answered prayers--sometimes with miracles, sometimes through His wisdom and sometimes by God's power to change a situation. As you know God--- you feel his presence.

I have to say....its a very personal experience and meant to be that way. Because God is a personal God who wants personal one on one relationships. We believe in "witnessing" to those who are open to it. But to those who are inherently skepical...its just pearls with the swine thing.
:)

Okay. This is what I get from most Christians. I wonder if any Christian will ever tell me that s/he hears an actual voice or sees the actual risen Jesus or something along those lines. It just confirms my suspicion that Christians just interpret a series of coincidences as the plan of God. They think they see a pattern and they can discern the will of God. Or they will say "God speaks to my heart".

Yeshe Dawa

Lotus Born
Okay. This is what I get from most Christians. I wonder if any Christian will ever tell me that s/he hears an actual voice or sees the actual risen Jesus or something along those lines. It just confirms my suspicion that Christians just interpret a series of coincidences as the plan of God. They think they see a pattern and they can discern the will of God. Or they will say "God speaks to my heart".

Hi Matthew78!

Isn't this pretty much what faith is?

Peace and blessings,
Yeshe
:flower2:

Matthew78

Hi Matthew78!

Isn't this pretty much what faith is?

Peace and blessings,
Yeshe
:flower2:

Hey Yeshe! :)

I have actually seen different definitions of what "faith" is supposed to be. I guess I should leave it up to the believer to define "faith" as accurately as possible.

Muffled

Jesus in me

God speaks words into my mind (not audible) and once those words were prophetic. God also speaks through me. He is in me and speaks the words while I observe.

Neophyte

Miranda Kerr Worship
I believe in God or in consciousness. Or to put it a little differently I believe that there is something universality about all of us. We all are directly related to each other and there is something that ties up us,k that invisible thread. Enlightenment or Nirvana is something the realization of the fact that we all are related. I do not believe in Personal God. I do not believe in incarnation.

All of us are one entity, whether Krishna or the Buddha or Jesus. All these prophets and ourselves share something common and that commonness is our connection. We are not less than any of them.

Everything, every creature or every planet and galaxy forms part of us and we all submerge finally.

In fact having personal God divides us along religious lines and in fact if believe in the universality of God or believe in God that is impersonal and is something different than our scriptural description then we will go closer and closer to God or to something universal consciousness.

I just invite your argument on this

I mostly agree with this! Good post!

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
God can be a name for a particular kind of experience. But that's certainly not the only definition, and it's not even close to being the most common.

Is there a definition that doesn't imply an experience?

One can, sure, but I have absolutely no interest in doing. I have no interest in talking to imaginary friends.

That's fine. But I was responding to how God can be something not supernatural. To each their own choices. :) Sometimes, in the midst of terrible suffering, one may call out to "Mother" or to a loved one no longer there, knowing full well, they are no longer in the world except in themselves.

Yeah, we could, but I think it's confusing and a waste of time. And even if I did that, it still means I don't believe in a personal god, which was the original question.

That's also fine. It was in response to how a God can be something not supernatural.