• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do You Believe in God?

Do you believe in God (or a supreme being higher than yourself)?

If you don't, then how come? What is it that you believe as far as this is concerned?

If you do, then how come? What do you call him? IS God a "him" or a "her"? And how many are there according to your belief?

NewGuyOnTheBlock

Cult Survivor/Fundamentalist Pentecostal Apostate

No.

If you don't, then how come? What is it that you believe as far as this is concerned?

1. No good evidence.
  2. I see no reason to believe in a given thing that can not be proven.
  3. The last time I put faith before reason, it destroyed most of what was good and precious in my life. I'm not going to be tricked like that again.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I believe in many Gods. There's 12 who are the most important, with Zeus being the supreme. But in totality, there's countless Gods, both named and unnamed. Mortals may also become deified.

I believe that because that's what makes the most sense to my perception of reality and I keep coming back to it regardless, anyway.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

If you do, then how come? What do you call him? IS God a "him" or a "her"? And how many are there according to your belief?
A metaphorical or symbolic God sure, in context of what is produced in the mind and taken as such.

Certainly not in any theistic sense that just pretends God or God's are real in and of itself.

Altfish

Veteran Member
NO

Total lack of evidence for any higher being.
I think the Big Bang is a good explanation of the start of the universe, what came before that...if that is a meaningful question...I don't know.

Let me ask a question, who created God?

Laika

Premium Member
"God" exists in so far as God is the projection of our ignorance and powerlessness before the forces of nature and society. In the past we anthropomorphised these forces into "human" characteristics as possessing will and consciousness of their own. There are a great many forces outside our control that necessitate humility in recognising a power greater than ourselves, but they are all natural and physical rather than supernatural. We can master them and become as if we were gods but not without changing ourselves as we gain greater knowledge and power and become a force of nature equal and surpassing those around us. The loss of religious faith is the discovery of man as God all along and the conscious pursuit of self-deification.

In other words, I could have just said "no" but thats a really boring and uninformative answer. :(

Ken Ewald

Na, no god what so ever.
And another also said, Lord, I will follow thee; but let me first go bid them farewell, which are at home at my house.
And Jesus said unto him, No man, having put his hand to the plough, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God.

MrMrdevincamus

Voice Of The Martyrs Supporter
Yes God Exists! I believe in Gods existence for several reasons. I use fractions of 100% to assign numerical values of each 'evidence' or reasons that convinces me God exists. One quantifier for a reason I believe in God is the NDE many years ago, yes, God was there with me. So that NDE counts for about 10%. NDE's are somewhat under researched hence the low value give mine, plus my experience was not the typical type of NDE. Next, I was into science (and Atheism) before I was a christian. So science and logic tells me the universe was created, and the creator was intelligent, ie God or as I call it GID which means 'God the intelligent Designer'. GID accounts for 40% of my 'God lives' conviction. Cosmological arguments, and other arguments for the existence of God, such as my favorite, the KCA (Kalam Cosmological Argument) accounts for 30% of the pie. CA's and ontological arguments which employs logical syllogism and other tools to show the logical certainty of Gods existence. Lastly, faith is the remaining 20%. I wish it was 100% of why I believe in God. I fully admire those that have nearly pure faith as their only reason for believing, but hey, I, and all Christians are a work in progress!

Last edited:

DawudTalut

Peace be upon you.
Peace be on you.
Yes, I believe in One God.

----

If you do, then how come?
Written on soul, heart and conscience.
Felt in intelligent making of universe, and through Ahmadiyya Muslim faith and practice.

What do you call him?
Allah

IS God a "him" or a "her"?
Him
The word 'He' for God is used as concept of power and authority in religion.
In Islam, God has no gender.

Quran[ch112:v5] ‘And there is none like unto Him.’

Quran uses 'hu' and 'huwa' as pronoun for Allah, it is commonly translated as He, but it can be translated as 'it'. It is respectful to use He.

Quran also use 'We' for One-God for power or for God-with-system to show majesty.

And how many are there according to your belief?
One.
As Allah tells in Holy Quran:
[112:1] In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful.
[112:2] Say, ‘He is Allah, the One;
[112:3] ‘Allah, the Independent and Besought of all.
[112:4] ‘He begets not, nor is He begotten;
[112:5] ‘And there is none like unto Him.’

More @
God's Attributes .
God's Attributes .

Verses translation @ alislam.org

Last edited:

MrMrdevincamus

Voice Of The Martyrs Supporter
NO

Total lack of evidence for any higher being.
I think the Big Bang is a good explanation of the start of the universe, what came before that...if that is a meaningful question...I don't know.

Let me ask a question, who created God?

OOPS I accidentally left a good portion of my first post on word doc, below is the somewhat better edited reply....

Infinite regression you say? Your question demonstrates our thinking processes usually don't include infinities or eternals, lol. The simple answer to your question is since time and all things matter, gravity, all the sub atomic virtual and other particles including those that arise out of the quantum foam, plus zpe and other energies and fields created 'nano shortly' after the big bang banged, God must be eternal or to use a more science oriented word God is atemporal. The reason being since (space) time was created in the big bang, the realm 'before' the big bang required an atemporal being to cause the big bang, that being was God. Why must it be God? The answer is that God is the most probable answer. Why? l can answer but we are getting a bit off topic.....

God is atemporal /eternal, which means there was no creation point for God, just as there is no creation or starting point in an infinite looped system. No point A or Z no one, twpo three or quin trillion , or any number. Infinite regression is a problem that only applies to mortal or material beings or temporal or material systems. God is neither either lol....

Last edited:

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
The short answer is no. I do not believe in a god, per se. I reject the concept of a supreme being while at the same time recognize the simple fact that there is a myriad of entities that are much more evolved than I am.

The expansion of consciousness literally vaporizes all notions of a supreme being. One quickly understands that no one is in charge and that, in and of itself, is quite liberating. One also understands that actions have consequences and so one becomes mindful.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I don't know this seems to be a challenging question for me. :confused: I like challenges.

Yes. I believe in god. (To use the word for convenience; but, I don't worship and god is about worship [however defined]) God is not higher than myself. There is no hierarchy.

If you don't, then how come?

I don't believe in an hierarchy and entity god because, to me, that sounds fiction. Regardless if god is anthropomorphize or not, the concept of a figurative or literal god actually "creating" something doesn't make sense. That's like saying nothing created something; and, to make it more confusing, making that nothing a person that "can't be defined or is a mystery". Multiple gods or deities are in the same boat. The point of one wanting, needing, or benefiting from one's worship is beyond how I think of god in regards to our relations with our environment and humanity.

What is it that you believe as far as this is concerned?

I believe god is life and every characteristic from polytheism to monotheism we see them as, comes from us within our mind. How we relate to life (or to me within life) and interact with people and our environment.

If you do, then how come?

After filtering the characteristics of different gods (not just Abrahamic, Buddhist for example), I realized a pattern. Everything about gods are always a reflection of something a human has, wants, or needs. God/s are external (or the internal looked at externally) objects, people, or places that people worship because it mirrors the reflection of themselves regardless of how they interpret it our see it. We are not aliens to each other; no one is the center of the universe.

What do you call him? IS God a "him" or a "her"?

Sometimes I put a her to life since life creates on a secondly basis. After awhile, it becomes more convenience rather than assigning a gender to life. I rather just live within life without needing the labels. Perfect Zen. That's my goal.

And how many are there according to your belief?

There is only one god/life. I revere many spirits of our environment, ancestors, and just spirits (or souls of the deceased and environment) in general. So there are millions. I don't call them gods because the supernatural is natural; so all is a part of life or a part of god.

The best we can do is learn how to live with our environment and with the people we are around, love, and are friends with. Using the word "with" takes away the word god and just leaves it at giving gratitude as a practice/religion and finding our morals and ways to live as our "beliefs".

Last edited:

Marsh

Absolutely not.

Sister Cyber said:
To properly answer I would have to write a book, but in a nutshell a study of history has demonstrated that the human perception of God has changed over time. Studies in comparative religion also highlight that the number and variety of religions is only limited by the human imagination. We are the creator of gods. In addition science now gives a more comprehensive description of the world than the simplistic view offered in scripture and ancient mythologies.

Nerthus

Wanderlust
I do.

I have tried not to at times, but I always come back to believing there is a God.
I don't believe in Him because I have a 'perfect' life and am happy everyday.. I believe in him because I have struggles and am not perfect.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Yes, and no. I believe in and have experienced what I call God. But the notion or view of God as an "entity" or even "being" in the sense of being outside of yourself, or strictly "above" the universe is not exactly how I relate to it. Being "higher" than myself? Yes, of course, in the sense that my "self" is a limited conception, or lived reality. The ego-self is not the highest Self. I am more than my idea of who I am. And knowing that is knowing God. So yes "God" is higher than me, but not a "being" separate from me. Just simply unrealized. But that realized Self is "higher" than all as it is limitless, unbounded, free, and infinite. Yet not separate, as infinite cannot be "elsewhere". It is "all-where" and "no-where" in particular. It is both before and beyond, the ground and the goal, the source and the summit. That's what I call God, and yes I very much believe this as it is something I experience.

The reason I do, as defined above, is experience. Opening to the Infinite and experiencing it firsthand. All other reality dissolves in the face of this. It is *real* reality, all else we think or believe to be true shown to be an illusion of our minds, projecting ourselves on the face of "it" and calling that the real world. As it says in the Diamond Sutra, "Wanting nothing, with all your heart stop the stream. When the world dissolves everything becomes clear."

The reason I call this Infinite Reality, God, is because the term conveys Infinite Good. And that is how it is experienced. Infinite Good. Infinite Good, and Infinite Personal. But it is not a being apart from ourselves. And, key to understanding this WE are not beings apart from it. As far as personal pronouns go, I prefer to not use gender pronounces such as He or She and tend to use "it", but even that is misleading. This Infinite Reality can be experienced by us as humans as both Infinite Personal and Infinite Impersonal, both in Masculine, and as Feminine. "It" itself is an inadequate way to speak of "it", as "it" suggests an object outside ourselves in a subject/object dualism. There are really no words other than "IS" that come closer. "I AM" is not bad. But that "I AM" does not exclude us. Talking about "it" is both useful, as well as useless. It's useful as a 'looking forward' pointer, and useless as a explanation of what simply IS.

tagging @YmirGF as I talk about God all the time and like how I attempted to explain my use of it. ;)

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member

I come from a non-dual (Goad and creation are not-two) Hindu perspective. God/Brahman is the fundamental ground on which all this material world has its source. It is all God. Now, this is not the personal God you are probably asking about but I also believe their are gods; advanced beings on higher planes that take personal involvement in aiding lifeforms.

God/Brahman is also the spirit in us that gives us consciousness and animates the material world.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

1) Yes.
2) n/a
3) mystical experience, intuition, .... Siva, no gender, .... a few others, but he's the supreme one.