• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do You Believe in Ghosts and Spirits?

Do You Believe in Ghosts and Spirits?

• Yes

Votes: 62 56.9%
  • No

Votes: 27 24.8%
  • Maybe

Votes: 20 18.3%

• Total voters

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Why say 'inevitably'?

[/QUOTE ]

Nowhere Man's reply:

In cases like this, where physical interaction occurs, cause and effect applies and therefore can be explained eventually.

End reply.

[QUOTE ] What would be convincing?

Something that does not require convincing at all would suffice nicely. If you need to convince people of something, then it shows there is simply not suffient information and evidence available to establish what is being brought forth.

Last edited:

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Something that does not require convincing at all would suffice nicely. If you need to convince people of something, then it shows there is simply not suffient information and evidence available to establish what is being brought forth.
I guess the question I keep trying to get at is what then is 'sufficient information and evidence'. Photos? Vids? Personal sighting(s)? A collection of similar human experiences throughout history? What? Or are you almost saying 'nothing' would be sufficient to you.

Dhyana

Just another line of BS invented by humans who fear death. Which is what all religion is about in essence IMO.

"First you're born, random shyte happens, and then you die, and that's it"
is too brutal for some (most) people to handle. But what evidence do we have that the shyte that happens isn't totally random? What evidence is there that death is not just the final curtain? Nothing substantial. Just the teachings (ravings?) of people who could as easily be called lunatics as prophets, Saints, Mystics or whatever

People seem to need life to mean SOMETHING, to have a PURPOSE or a reason and not to be short, sweet (or tragic) and final. The difference in essential outlook of believers and atheists boils down to this:
For atheists, shyte happens. For believers, shyte happens for a REASON. For atheists, death is just the end, followed by NOTHING. For believers death is not the end. Either way. There's just no way to know before your time comes

Last edited:

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
Are ghosts suppose to be bad?
Generally no, ghosts are not believed to be necessarily bad. However the bible is very emphatic about it being bad to communicate with them. So ghosts are not necessarily bad, but communicating with them is anti-christ.

Twilight Hue

I guess the question I keep trying to get at is what then is 'sufficient information and evidence'. Photos? Vids? Personal sighting(s)? A collection of similar human experiences throughout history? What? Or are you almost saying 'nothing' would be sufficient to you.

It any of this brings about the same kind of truth that the sun and the rain brings to everyone, then it would be sufficient enough to acknowledge satisfactorily.

Vids, photos, and testimonials alone can be enough to garner interest, but the manner by which people go about trying to prove paranormal activity is so horribly inconsistent and unscientific, that I really think people, for the most part, are just about making up anything that supports their claims for a slew of reasons.

For those serious about it, there is no harm in trying of course, but it's clearly a frustrating endeavor with anything substantial to show for it.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
It any of this brings about the same kind of truth that the sun and the rain brings to everyone, then it would be sufficient enough to acknowledge satisfactorily.

Vids, photos, and testimonials alone can be enough to garner interest, but the manner by which people go about trying to prove paranormal activity is so horribly inconsistent and unscientific, that I really think people, for the most part, are just about making up anything that supports their claims for a slew of reasons.

For those serious about it, there is no harm in trying of course, but it's clearly a frustrating endeavor with anything substantial to show for it.
It just seems you are just not inclined to accept any paranormal phenomena. That is your prerogative. I personally feel that such things exist beyond reasonable doubt and that they point to a grander view of the universe as espoused by many great souls of mankind's spiritual traditions. I think a serious study of so-called paranormal things tells us a lot about our place in the universe and the universe itself so I believe it does produce something substantial.

Last edited:

Godobeyer

the word "Islam" means "submission" to God
Premium Member
I vote YES , because human body and our tools is not perfect enough to detect them

Twilight Hue

It just seems you are just not inclined to accept any paranormal phenomena. That is your prerogative. I personally feel that such things exist beyond reasonable doubt and that they point to a grander view of the universe as espoused by many great souls of mankind's spiritual traditions. I think a serious study of so-called paranormal things tells us a lot about our place in the universe and the universe itself so I believe it does produce something substantial.

Actually I'm very interested in the phenomina. Ghosts, demons, aliens, and the like. The difference I think is I'm very pragmatic and sterile when it comes to debunking and scrunity, and prefer to put any and all claims through the wringer for all it's worth and then some. I prefer to prioritize established and confirmed objective evidence over subjective data including my own personal thoughts over the paranormal, and accept the actuality as it presents itself rather than opinion alone.

My latest interest is investigation with the devils toybox, but my wife dosent want me to build one to experiment with. Just in case.......

Guess you can think of me as being in a Scooby doo episode. Love the scare and will search for clues, but the ghosts so far gets unmasked in the end.

It would have won too, If it wernt for that meddling ole' man. :)

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.
I voted no.

I do not believe in fairies, leprechauns, unicorns, pegasi, vampires, lycanthropes, Big Foot, witches/warlocks (magic), dragons or anything else from Fantasy Land. Nor do I believe in ghosts, spirits, demons or the devil.

Seems to be a theme here... :D

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
Anything objectively verifyable. Something more than just a misconception about what 'materialism' means.

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
Generally no, ghosts are not believed to be necessarily bad. However the bible is very emphatic about it being bad to communicate with them. So ghosts are not necessarily bad, but communicating with them is anti-christ.
I see.
In Islam, it is not evil to communicate with them, it is just not allowed to use evil methods to contact them. Some believe doing some evil acts to catch their attention is the way to do it; evil acts like murder and hurting others.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
I see.
In Islam, it is not evil to communicate with them, it is just not allowed to use evil methods to contact them. Some believe doing some evil acts to catch their attention is the way to do it; evil acts like murder and hurting others.
Interesting. Both traditions certainly seem to confirm that such things exist.
Cheers.

I see.

Are ghosts in Islam different to jinn? What does it say about them?

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
Are ghosts in Islam different to jinn? What does it say about them?
I actually meant jinns by ghosts. Sorry for the confusion. What Islam says about it is that they are being just like us that cannot be seen or felt by our senses and that they were created from fire compared to us humans from clay. It there something specific you want to know what Islam says about them?

I actually meant jinns by ghosts. Sorry for the confusion. What Islam says about it is that they are being just like us that cannot be seen or felt by our senses and that they were created from fire compared to us humans from clay. It there something specific you want to know what Islam says about them?

Thanks for your reply :) I'm just interested and don't really understand much about what jinn are or what they do.

Are ghosts mentioned at all in the Sira?

Are there good and bad jinn? What do jinn 'do' with their time? Do they live everywhere, or just in certain places? Are they considered to superior/equal/inferior/just different to humans? How do they interact with/influence humans?