• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you believe in an incubus?

Alien826

No religious beliefs
From the link ...

Incubus is from the Latin word incubare, which means “to lie upon.” Victims usually feel a heavy weight on top of them that paralyzes them. Sometimes there is a sense of choking or suffocation.

I have had that sensation myself. There's a mechanism in our bodies that prevents sleep walking. It effectively paralyses us while we are asleep. I have experienced, while half asleep, the sensation of being unable to move, and it can be scary. Add to that having bed clothes over the face and having difficulty breathing, and you have the start of the incubus/succubus myth.

Maybe?

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
From the link ...

Incubus is from the Latin word incubare, which means “to lie upon.” Victims usually feel a heavy weight on top of them that paralyzes them. Sometimes there is a sense of choking or suffocation.

I have had that sensation myself. There's a mechanism in our bodies that prevents sleep walking. It effectively paralyses us while we are asleep. I have experienced, while half asleep, the sensation of being unable to move, and it can be scary. Add to that having bed clothes over the face and having difficulty breathing, and you have the start of the incubus/succubus myth.

Maybe?
Sounds like sleep paralysis.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member

Do you believe in an incubus?​

I now think there is likely such entities out there in this deep deep universe with many super-physical realms. At one time in my younger days, I would have called this all nonsense and superstition.