• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do You Believe Clothing Encourages People to See Others as Sex Objects?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Do you think clothing can encourage sexual objectification? That is, can it encourage us to sexually objectify people? Why or why not?

If so, do you think clothing is more or less likely to encourage sexual objectification than nudity? For instance, would you be more likely to expect strangers to see you as a sex object when you were clothed while walking along a city street, or when you were nude while walking along a resort trail? Why?

To what extent, if any, does sexual objectification depend on the person doing the sexual objectifying, and to what extent, if any, does it depend on the clothing, or lack of clothing, that someone is wearing?

Last, if you believe you would be less likely to be objectified by strangers at a nude resort, than by people in a city, is that actually because you are nude, or is there some other reason why that would be the case? For instance, perhaps nudists are for some reason more accepting of people in totality than non-nudists. Or perhaps, nudity itself is somehow a reason not to sexually objectify someone. What do you think?

Last edited:

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Do you think clothing can encourage sexualization? That is, can it encourage us to sexually objectify people? Why or why not?

If so, do you think clothing is more or less likely to encourage sexualization than nudity? For instance, would you be more likely to expect strangers to see you as a sex object when you were clothed while walking along a city street, or when you were nude while walking along a resort trail? Why?

To what extent, if any, does sexualization depend on the person doing the sexualizing, and to what extent, if any, does it depend on the clothing, or lack of clothing, that someone is wearing?

Last, if you believe you would be less likely to be sexualized by strangers at a nude resort, than by people in a city, is that actually because you are nude, or is there some other reason why that would be the case? For instance, perhaps nudists are for some reason more accepting of people in totality than non-nudists. Or perhaps, nudity itself is somehow a reason not to sexualize someone. What do you think?
While I didn't break your post to answer each paragraph individually I'll answer and say that if human society was a society in which spending our daily activities nude was natural, we might have have been more used to the form of the naked body without developing constant urges for sexual contact. So paradoxically, various fashion styles and personal taste in clothes promote sexualization in a variety of creative (or explicit) ways which can prove more potent than an environment of full nudity.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
While I didn't break your post to answer each paragraph individually I'll answer and say that if human society was a society in which spending our daily activities nude was natural, we might have have been more used to the form of the naked body without developing constant urges for sexual contact. So paradoxically, various fashion styles and personal taste in clothes promote sexualization in a variety of creative (or explicit) ways which can prove more potent than an environment of full nudity.

I agree. I think the fact (as I see it) that clothing can promote or encourage sexualization might call into question the notion that how someone dresses has nothing at all to do with whether someone is sexualized.

Paradoxically, I myself do not see a contradiction between, on the one hand, saying that clothing promotes or encourages sexualization, and saying, on the other hand, that individuals are fully responsible for whether or not they sexualize others.

To me, the paradox is resolved by pointing out that clothing at most makes it harder to avoid sexualizing, but does not come close to making it impossible.

What do you think of my position, Dan? Any input?

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
Do you think clothing can encourage sexualization? That is, can it encourage us to sexually objectify people? Why or why not??

I think so.

Clothing like anything else can be utilized as simple covering or as an artistic form of expression. There are certain blouses and jeans that make me feel a certain way. I use clothing as I do makeup - to accentuate and to project.

There's that piece where it's possible for someone to utilize what they are wearing to project a particular message. Or not. Someone could wear something very revealing with the purpose of attracting and catching attention. Another person could wear the same clothing with different intentions.

And then there's the perception piece. People have different opinions, ideas, expectations, etc. The person who wears a rather revealing outfit may not have the intention of drawing any attention to themselves, but, someone observing them may be the type of person who is apt to look, and apt to find the projected image sexual, regardless as to the underlying intention.

If so, do you think clothing is more or less likely to encourage sexualization than nudity? For instance, would you be more likely to expect strangers to see you as a sex object when you were clothed while walking along a city street, or when you were nude while walking along a resort trail? Why?

If someone is prone to sexualize another human being, I would imagine that they could very well sexualize the clothed person, as they could the nude person. How does this person process? Is a breast highly sexual to them? If so, I would imagine a blouse which reveals cleavage could be as exciting as a nude breast.

To what extent, if any, does sexualization depend on the person doing the sexualizing, and to what extent, if any, does it depend on the clothing, or lack of clothing, that someone is wearing??

Intention. It all boils down to intent and action. There's nothing wrong with expression through clothing. And it's natural to react to visual stimulus. There isn't a problem until someone does something that makes another uncomfortable. Every individual has responsibility in terms of their interactions with other people.

If I choose to wear the sexiest outfit that I own because it makes me feel good or because I want people to notice - that's fine. Whatever my reasons, I still have to take responsibility for my actions. And subsequently, anyone who comes in contact with me has to take responsiblity for theirs. They can think what they want, feel what they want and say what they want. They can do what they want as long as it doesn't cross my own rights and jeopardize my own safety.

Last, if you believe you would be less likely to be sexualized by strangers at a nude resort, than by people in a city, is that actually because you are nude, or is there some other reason why that would be the case? For instance, perhaps nudists are for some reason more accepting of people in totality than non-nudists. Or perhaps, nudity itself is somehow a reason not to sexualize someone. What do you think?

I would think that those hanging out at a nude resort are of a like mindset would be less likely to sexualize each other because they aren't viewing nudity in such an environment as something sexual.

I think this is about perception and mindset.

nazz

Doubting Thomas
Do you think clothing can encourage sexualization? That is, can it encourage us to sexually objectify people? Why or why not?

Yes, there is a lot of clothing that has the goal of arousing the sexual interest of others.

If so, do you think clothing is more or less likely to encourage sexualization than nudity?

Depends but I think clothing is more likely to do so. I'm a nudist and I find many people look better in clothing (myself included!)

For instance, would you be more likely to expect strangers to see you as a sex object when you were clothed while walking along a city street, or when you were nude while walking along a resort trail? Why?

Again it depends. Am I flaunting my sexuality while nude? Or while clothed? Is the other person looking to get turned by my nudity?

To what extent, if any, does sexualization depend on the person doing the sexualizing, and to what extent, if any, does it depend on the clothing, or lack of clothing, that someone is wearing?

Both can be factors.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
If I choose to wear the sexiest outfit that I own because it makes me feel good or because I want people to notice - that's fine. Whatever my reasons, I still have to take responsibility for my actions. And subsequently, anyone who comes in contact with me has to take responsiblity for theirs.

How does that work, Dawny? I agree with you, but I'm wondering whether or not there's a contradiction between one person's obligation to take responsibility for wearing revealing clothing, and another person's obligation to take responsibility for sexualizing that person (or not).

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
Yes I think clothing can encourage sexualization. Since we rarely see nudity and one of the main /only times we are "naked together" is "for sex".Then wearing certain clothing whether it accentuates your form(ex.a push up bra/tight jeans) or is maybe more revealing(showing more "skin)then "sex" might just pop in your mind.You also may "assume" the person is "asking" for sexual attention or they wouldn't be "advertising" their body.

Aquitaine

In a nutshell, yes.

If I was presented with a naked woman, and a woman dressed as a Dominatrix, and told that only one of them is deliberately trying to display a sense of sexuality - I'd say it was the one dressed as a Dominatrix.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Do you think clothing can encourage sexualization?
Darn tootin'

Witherspoon__Pleasent__003.gif

Last edited:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
मैत्रावरुणिः;3457113 said:
Nah, brah. That would be rape myth acceptance.

I was hoping someone would bring that up. Thanks! I'm curious about your reasoning. Why would it be rape myth acceptance?

Skwim

Veteran Member
Even if clothing encourages sexualization, does the person who sexualizes others still bear full responsibility for doing so? Why or why not?
I would say that it can vary. Some women purposely dress sexy, others just happen to have great figures and faces that encourage sexualization, which wouldn't happen among less attractive women.

In any case, I appreciate a sexually appealing woman.

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
I was hoping someone would bring that up. Thanks! I'm curious about your reasoning. Why would it be rape myth acceptance?

Because, if a female walked down the street in a thong, and wore nothing else, she isn't asking to be raped.

She probably is asking to be checked out though. But, I think that would be "Check Me Out Myth Acceptance".

Maybe she is walking down the street in a thong to do a research experiment on how what she wore affected the attention she received. So, therefore, in that case then, it wouldn't be a "check me out myth acceptance".

dear feminists, please don't kill me.

Last edited:

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
How does that work, Dawny? I agree with you, but I'm wondering whether or not there's a contradiction between one person's obligation to take responsibility for wearing revealing clothing, and another person's obligation to take responsibility for sexualizing that person (or not).

If I choose to wear revealing clothing, I can't bellyache if people take notice. I also can't control the fact that people may sexualize me, regardless as to my choice of clothing.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I would say that it can vary. Some women purposely dress sexy, others just happen to have great figures and faces that encourage sexualization, which wouldn't happen among less attractive women.

So, if I'm reading your right, you'd say that a woman who purposely dresses sexy bears some of the responsibility for her own sexualization? And that, perhaps, the person sexualizing her does not then bear full responsibility for doing so? Have I correctly stated your position?

In any case, I appreciate a sexually appealing woman.
I think such women do me a favor and should have a medal pinned on them for making me feel better about being alive. But I believe I've also discovered that it is not necessary for me to sexualize them.

Last edited: