• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you believe because your parents did? If so, WHY?

FREE-of-FAITH

FREE-of-FAITH
In that case, yes.

Though, for the record, regardless of how we refer to this action, we can definitely all agree that it's a real problem that needs changing.

But for that to happen, we need to get to the root of the problem, which is deeper than religion.

I agree, the problem in this case is deeper than religion, but can we also agree that there is a lot of brainwashing done in the name of religion?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I agree, the problem in this case is deeper than religion, but can we also agree that there is a lot of brainwashing done in the name of religion?
Therefore? You seem to be spewing a good deal of drivel in the name of secularism and a petulant rebellion against one's parents. It's more than a little tiresome.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member

Oh, I never said there wasn't brainwashing. There absolutely is.

The thing is, brainwashing is often confused with indoctrination. It's also true that what is thought of as brainwashing in the name of religion really has little to do with the religion in question.

There's a sect of Buddhism, for example, that really has little to do with the Buddha's teachings, but is actually designed to be anti-Hindu.

FREE-of-FAITH

FREE-of-FAITH
Given the option of denouncing bigotry or avoiding, I choose the former. Think of it as one of my Jewish values.

Really?
And by denouncing bigotry you mean attacking anyone who doesn't follow your beliefs. Well I guess the sacred Jewish book of Deuteronomy (Devarim) makes a lot of sense now.

[FONT=&quot]Deuteronomy 13:13-18 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]‘Corrupt men have gone out from among you and enticed the inhabitants of their city, saying, “Let us go and serve other gods”’which you have not known - then you shall inquire, search out, and ask diligently. And if it is indeed true and certain that such an abomination was committed among you, you shall surely strike the inhabitants of that city with the edge of the sword, utterly destroying it, all that is in it and its livestock—with the edge of the sword. And you shall gather all its plunder into the middle of the street, and completely burn with fire the city and all its plunder, for the LORD your God. It shall be a heap forever; it shall not be built again. So none of the accursed things shall remain in your hand, that the LORD may turn from the fierceness of His anger and show you mercy, have compassion on you and multiply you, just as He swore to your fathers, because you have listened to the voice of the LORD your God, to keep all His commandments which I command you today, to do what is right in the eyes of the LORD your God.[/FONT]

Sorry to burst your bubble there but doesn't sound all the free of bigotry to me :shrug:

FREE-of-FAITH

FREE-of-FAITH
There's a sect of Buddhism, for example, that really has little to do with the Buddha's teachings, but is actually designed to be anti-Hindu.

Do you know what it's called? I'd be interested to do more research on it. I do admit my knowledge of the non-Abrahamic religions is not very strong.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Do you know what it's called? I'd be interested to do more research on it. I do admit my knowledge of the non-Abrahamic religions is not very strong.

I don't remember what it's called, I'm afraid.

But I'd recommend researching the main forms of Buddhism (Mahayana, Theravada, Vaijrayana, Zen) as a whole before delving into their variations.

FREE-of-FAITH

FREE-of-FAITH
I don't. I've researched different religions btw.

That's fantastic, but the OP was clearly directed at people who do follow what their parents believe. That's what I was curious to know.. otherwise I could just look at myself I don't follow what my parents' beliefs either, I researched different religions myself to realize religion is basically man made, created to convince people of things, which in the age of reason and knowledge we have many tools to figure out are not true. So I appreciate your feedback and I can certainly relate!

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
That's fantastic, but the OP was clearly directed at people who do follow what their parents believe. That's what I was curious to know.. otherwise I could just look at myself I don't follow what my parents' beliefs either, I researched different religions myself to realize religion is basically man made, created to convince people of things, which in the age of reason and knowledge we have many tools to figure out are not true. So I appreciate your feedback and I can certainly relate!

Greetings. I think the truth of the matter is that people generally do just follow the belief systems of their parents or 'culture', and your asking the question basically makes many people uncomfortable, as they would have to admit that they didn't really make the decision for themselves.
BTW I actually was raised as a Christian, My initial answer to the OP may have been worded in a slightly confusing manner.

FREE-of-FAITH

FREE-of-FAITH
Greetings. I think the truth of the matter is that people generally do just follow the belief systems of their parents or 'culture', and your asking the question basically makes many people uncomfortable, as they would have to admit that they didn't really make the decision for themselves.
BTW I actually was raised as a Christian, My initial answer to the OP may have been worded in a slightly confusing manner.

I see, thank you for your feedback

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I'd like to repeat that a person following his/hers parents religion or lack of religion causes terrorism. I don't believe that children are brainwashed by their parents just because they are brought up in that faith. And lastly, terrorism's biggest cause is hatred.

Call_of_the_Wild

In modern times when we have many ways of researching any material on our own we should not let others dictate it to us in whichever form they wish. Failing to investigate things on our own will only lead to accepting what we are told as the truth, no matter how incorrect it may be. The information we are taught at an early age, no matter how accurate, will undoubtedly influence our future. Contrary to what many believe no child is actually born Catholic, Hindu, Jewish, Muslim, or an innate follower of any belief system. In spite of this, since this religious label has been given to millions of children from birth, many of them will never question it, let alone detach from it. I was given the label of a Muslim child, but eventually liberated myself from it. One would hope that reason and evidence would at the very least lead to recognizing certain palpable fallacies that exist in what was once perceived as the best possible answer. Recognizing errors in a method or approach that has been routinely followed for years is only the initial step in accepting alternatives. To completely break away from that early education is an extraordinary expedition, one which will not happen overnight. Do you ever wonder how different your overall perspective would have been if you had just been born in a different country? Religious teachings, even if it may be in the form of secular traditions and principles, sit at the pinnacle of early childhood education for the majority of people around the world. The level of exposure we have to religion when we are younger is one of the many episodes of life greatly influencing our future perspectives. The extent of this experience often leads to creating significant divisions amongst otherwise similar people. Should the birth place of our ancestors really have such a strong emphasis on what we define ourselves with? Why do you believe something just because your parents did?

I was raised in a Christian household. But I can honestly say even if i was raised an atheist, i would STILL have difficult believing that life can come from nonlife, chaos can create order, and something can come from nothing. I would have a hard time believing that even if I weren't a Christian. So far beyond religion, that is just something I can't logically accept.

chinu

chinu
In modern times when we have many ways of researching any material on our own we should not let others dictate it to us in whichever form they wish. Failing to investigate things on our own will only lead to accepting what we are told as the truth, no matter how incorrect it may be. The information we are taught at an early age, no matter how accurate, will undoubtedly influence our future. Contrary to what many believe no child is actually born Catholic, Hindu, Jewish, Muslim, or an innate follower of any belief system. In spite of this, since this religious label has been given to millions of children from birth, many of them will never question it, let alone detach from it. I was given the label of a Muslim child, but eventually liberated myself from it. One would hope that reason and evidence would at the very least lead to recognizing certain palpable fallacies that exist in what was once perceived as the best possible answer. Recognizing errors in a method or approach that has been routinely followed for years is only the initial step in accepting alternatives. To completely break away from that early education is an extraordinary expedition, one which will not happen overnight. Do you ever wonder how different your overall perspective would have been if you had just been born in a different country? Religious teachings, even if it may be in the form of secular traditions and principles, sit at the pinnacle of early childhood education for the majority of people around the world. The level of exposure we have to religion when we are younger is one of the many episodes of life greatly influencing our future perspectives. The extent of this experience often leads to creating significant divisions amongst otherwise similar people. Should the birth place of our ancestors really have such a strong emphasis on what we define ourselves with? Why do you believe something just because your parents did?
Well am just doing this because i find very difficult to read such small fonts

Hi! Religious belief is not an inheritance. Faith is being built on evidences, so then it's nonsence to believe in something just because your parents believed it. Besides, religion- is, basically, how you worship God. However, only Almighty God can choose the way of worshipping him that is acceptable to him

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Hi! Religious belief is not an inheritance. Faith is being built on evidences, so then it's nonsense to believe in something just because your parents believed it. Besides, religion- is, basically, how you worship God. However, only Almighty God can choose the way of worshiping him that is acceptable to him

What I think we are trying to make is something like this: Following a faith or religion, even if you don't truly believe it, just because your parents did is one thing- doesn't seem right, but there may be various reasons- (I wouldn't necessarily call it "nonsense", however.)
It is not a problem, however, if a child, for example, as an adult follows Hinduism like his/her parents did if that child truly believes in it. And the same thing can be said for non-belief in God.
I try to teach my own children to use their own minds, as most parents do.

Muffled

Jesus in me

I was more religous than my parents and they never discussed religion. I believe the religon that proceeded from my education was a natural path for me. In my later years having studied other religions, I consider myself fortunate.

Muffled

Jesus in me
My father was much the same way despite being a regular Baptist churchgoer. I tried to discuss what he believed with him once and he replied "What a man believes, that's between him and God."

I was a regular Baptist churchgoer long before I wass saved. Maaybe he just was avoiding being open because he knew he didn't believe and didn't wish to jeopardize the facade.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I've always found it safe to assume that what my parents believed could be counted on to be false. Then again, they're much like most people.

People develop issues. My father didn't like Catholics because a priest came to the house one day wanting to know why he didn't attend Mass. (There were many people with the same last name in the area with an Irish Catholic background) He usualy objected to my watching Bishop Fulton Sheen on TV but I enjoyed the bishop myself.

Last edited: